Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Wow! We got stickied! Cool :)

2. Member
    I would to see the echomap 70s to be able to share waypoints with the echomap chirp 93sv thru the data wires

I would like to see some user end adjustments for Quickdraw. If I could tune the spatial interpolation algorithm to meet my conditions, that would be spectacular!
    Wishing I was Fishing

4. Member
    Im curious - what exactly would you tune and what you would expect it to do differently?
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

5. Member
    On the split frequency display option, allow the source to include a non-chirp 2d transducer alongside the chirp 2d. Currently, both transducers have to be chirp for the split frequency to come from different transducers.

Gcv10 has to work with sv and dv of other transducers at least. Preferably 2d as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    Im curious - what exactly would you tune and what you would expect it to do differently?

Let me elaborate....

The unit uses spatial interpolation to draw the contour maps. It collects information on depth at specific points and predicts the depth in between those points. There are a variety of ways that this is done. If you've worked with ArcGIS, you've done this if you've worked with kriging.

I'd like to be able to tune the "maximum distance between points" to allow the unit to extrapolate depths over a longer distance. So, instead of the 75 ft ish that the unit has by default, I'd like the flexibility to have the unit infer depths at 150 ft between points. This would allow me to map quicker and then to only collect additional data on areas where it is worthwhile to get the additional information.

Garmin's algorithm also has issues when one makes turns - it shows indentations in depth that don't actually exist if you are weaving back and forth along an area. Don't have any suggestions on how to deal with that one, but I'm sure one of the settings in the algorithm could be adjusted to prevent these false indentations.

More info on spatial interpolation:

http://planet.botany.uwc.ac.za/nisl/.../chap_1_11.htm
    Wishing I was Fishing

8. Member
    We just got a big software update for the 7600's (March 22, 2016). Does anybody know if there will be another software update?

9. Member
    My Chirp 93 SV's just got another update on 4/5

10. Member
    People are still having issues with heading and mapping in some situations so I would hope they are working on more fixes. I seem to be fine but I have a very simple setup.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassinman215 View Post
    Let me elaborate....

The unit uses spatial interpolation to draw the contour maps. It collects information on depth at specific points and predicts the depth in between those points. There are a variety of ways that this is done. If you've worked with ArcGIS, you've done this if you've worked with kriging.

I'd like to be able to tune the "maximum distance between points" to allow the unit to extrapolate depths over a longer distance. So, instead of the 75 ft ish that the unit has by default, I'd like the flexibility to have the unit infer depths at 150 ft between points. This would allow me to map quicker and then to only collect additional data on areas where it is worthwhile to get the additional information.

Garmin's algorithm also has issues when one makes turns - it shows indentations in depth that don't actually exist if you are weaving back and forth along an area. Don't have any suggestions on how to deal with that one, but I'm sure one of the settings in the algorithm could be adjusted to prevent these false indentations.

More info on spatial interpolation:

http://planet.botany.uwc.ac.za/nisl/.../chap_1_11.htm
    Interesting idea. Somehow I doubt they would be willing to let anyone that far into their software but I may be wrong. I wonder if tweaking the recording like you suggest would make sharing or merging the maps with others (or even your own maps) more difficult or not?

12. Banned
    I'd like to be able to choose the size of the waypoint icons. Everyone begged for them to be smaller, but they made them too darn small for my old eyes

13. Member
    Would like to see lake vu HD of the Susquehanna River and Upper Chesepeake Bay

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishintroop View Post
    Would like to see lake vu HD of the Susquehanna River and Upper Chesepeake Bay
    Upper Chesepeake Bay and a small part of the lower Susquehanna River is covered under the Offshore G2 maps - but not very well.

The rest of the Susquehanna River would be on the Lake view maps but doesnt look like it has been surveyed yet. Very few rivers have been done so far by anyone except where they have major river shipping going on - like the lower Columbia River. The problem is that river channels change really fast in many cases.

We can still ask though :)

Now that I've tried out Quickdraw (which is going to be very helpful for the small lakes that I fish) I have a suggestion for Garmin. I can already see that to get the most out of Quickdraw you really should scan an area more than once. The more times I passed through the same area, the more accurate the map became. In Quickdraw you can turn on a feature that shows the portion of a waterbody that you've mapped - it highlights in green. I think it would be very useful if it used another color if you pass over an area more than once. That way, it would be easier to know what areas need that second or third pass.

16. Member
    Im not sure how well that would work. With the new depth shading options, it could get confusing what all the different colors mean. I leave my TRACKS turned on so I can see where Ive been. That makes it easy to see what paths you have already covered.

17. Member
    I just saw a good idea someone came up with on THT. They suggested Garmin make it possible to read PDF files on the plotter. That way you could copy your fishing regs or other special rules or any information you want to refer to when on the water.

I really like this idea. Having a PDF you could search and view on the water would be great. I sometimes fish areas where state and tribal rules apply. You could also load copies of special fishing maps or anything else you wanted.

18. Member
    When you have a combo screen with a chart view and you expand the chart view to full screen, if you hit 'Stop Panning' it puts you back in the combo view rather than just stopping the panning. It works like a Return or Back button instead of a Stop Panning button.

That is a royal pain when you want to use the chart for something. It should just stop panning - not jump you back to the combo screen.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    I'd like to be able to choose the size of the waypoint icons. Everyone begged for them to be smaller, but they made them too darn small for my old eyes
    I agree 100% - the icons are way too small. Woul dlove to be able to adjust that like you can for the boat icon.

20. Member
    I agree also, they do need to make the icons larger or better yet give us the ability to select a couple different sizes. Otherwise it’s by far the best Chartplotter/Sonar combo I’ve ever owned and I’ve had them all.
    Ranger, Z520c with Mercury, 250 Pro XS
    Garmin & Minn Kota

Quam's Marine, Stoughton, WI

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast