Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar

For those that had COVID

Has your taste/smell returned to normal yet?

I have a number of things that are still way off of normal but the most noticeable one is onions.

They taste different but it’s mostly the smell. If there’s onions in something it’s literally the only thing I can smell. It’s overpowering. If someone is cutting onions I can smell it from the other side of the room. Restaurants, sub shops, etc the only thing I can smell is onions

2. Member
    My sense of smell came back in about 6-8 months, never lost taste.

3. Member
    I can smell a few things and cant smell most things . My taste is weird . Sometimes i can taste first few bites and then the rest of meal cant taste a thing ! It is going on about 4 weeks , i am so sick of not being able to taste things .
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

4. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Never lost either.
    Who controls John Gill?

It took a few months for my taste and smell to return to somewhat normal. There are foods I like prior to COVID that just taste different now and I no longer care for.

6. Derek McCullough
    It's been 10 months and my taste is fine but smell is all over the place. I have never been bothered by the smell of gasoline and now it smells like burnt sulfur, really bizarre.

7. Moderator
    Mine was gone completely for about 2 weeks and then back to normal.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    Never lost either.
    Did you become sick at all? How did you know you had it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hersh View Post
    My sense of smell came back in about 6-8 months, never lost taste.
    Same here, but I got it back in 4 weeks.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

10. Member
    I used to love cucumbers but not anymore. There are still things I can’t smell. Salt is something I used to love, but I can’t really taste it anymore.

11. Member
    Taste is slowly coming back; but most of everything is still bland. Sense of smell is still nonexistent.

12. Member
    Thankfully most my taste and smell came back after a month... despite being sick it was kinda nice changing diapers with no smell

13. BBC SPONSOR
    I had it twice. I never lost smell either time. Nothing tasted good for about two weeks both times.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBarBack View Post
    Thankfully most my taste and smell came back after a month... despite being sick it was kinda nice changing diapers with no smell
    Never thought of it that way! Good one. Just glad that part of my life is way in the past!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by derek81 View Post
    It's been 10 months and my taste is fine but smell is all over the place. I have never been bothered by the smell of gasoline and now it smells like burnt sulfur, really bizarre.
    This ↑↑

Had it in December. Never lost taste, but smell is up & down. Wife is always ask me- do you not smell that, I have to make an effort to see if I can. Other time it'll hit me right in the face and I'll smell it just fine.

16. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Did you become sick at all? How did you know you had it?
    Yes I did... Became symptomatic 3 days subsequent to known virus exposure.... Negative PCR test that day.

Another negative test result (I'm about 99.9% sure it was a false negative) on day 5, post-exposure. The "feeling like crap" began in earnest that morning.

Finally tested positive on day 7. Even at that late stage, I was allowed to have a monoclonal antibody (BAM) infusion and it made a significant difference for me within 24-36 hours.

While it was surely unpleasant and I don't wish to ever contract it again; I will say that covid was nowhere near as bad as the influenza I had 2 years prior.

***Disclaimer*** That is simply MY experience with the virus; your mileage may (and likely will) vary.
    Last edited by hatcreek; 09-03-2021 at 01:29 PM.
    Who controls John Gill?

17. Member
    I never lost either however, my case, overall was very mild. Wife and step son both lost if completely for several days before slowly returning to almost normal as far as I know.

Mom never lost either. Dad lost both for a few days, everything came back fairly quickly though he has an increased sensitivity to cigarette smell, he has always been sensitive to it anyway).
    I'd Rather be Fishing

18. Member
    Had it over Christmas, bananas still taste and smell like chemicals.

I am 2 weeks into COVID and my taste is gone. I do get certain flavors but it is not right. My wife brought home a piece of fried chicken for me and all I could taste was pure salt. I had to spit it out! The day before, I bought a Chikfila sandwich and could only taste the pickle. I am so tired everything tasting and have the consistency of cardboard.

My smell is ZERO.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

20. Member
    It took me about 2-3 months to get it back to normal.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast