Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Range Active Fuel Management Device for GMC - Worth it?

I got a 2015 GMC Sierra a few months ago and I am not a big fan of the AFM system. Has anyone out there used the Range AFM Disable device? Does it perform as advertised and how have you liked it? Thank you.

2. Member
    Just curious, what do you not like about it?

3. Matt20xd
    Have it on my 2010. It works as advertised. No complaints.
    Just have to unplug it every month or so as the factory system overrides it.

4. Member
    My sons 07 has afm and I can't wait for him to disable it. Sounds sick and can't be helping fuel mileage much.

5. Member
    I have a 2016 Silverado. I got a Diablo predator 2, turned off afm and made the transmission shift faster. I love it

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Just curious, what do you not like about it?
    The shifting from 8 to 4 when driving around town is loud and its an aggressive shift. I would just rather run on 8 cylinders the entire time. On the highway it definitely makes a difference in gas mileage and the shifts are seamless. However, I cruise around town mostly and would prefer to not have it shift back and forth.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumspots View Post
    The shifting from 8 to 4 when driving around town is loud and its an aggressive shift. I would just rather run on 8 cylinders the entire time. On the highway it definitely makes a difference in gas mileage and the shifts are seamless. However, I cruise around town mostly and would prefer to not have it shift back and forth.
    I believe I would take the truck back to the dealer and have it checked. I have a 2016 GMC and am totally unaware when the AFM goes to four cylinder until I toggle to a screen that indicates 4 or 8 cylinder. If I did not want the system to shift into four around town I would just run in M5.

8. Member
    I had one on my 13 and now on 16 since day 1. No loss of MPG and it eliminates any issue with AFM, oil consumption and associated issues. Would not run my truck without it.
    2023 Lund 2075 Pro V Bass XS
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 250 4S

Quote Originally Posted by GMT View Post
    I had one on my 13 and now on 16 since day 1. No loss of MPG and it eliminates any issue with AFM, oil consumption and associated issues. Would not run my truck without it.

The "AFM Oil Consumption and associated issues" have been taken care of as of 2015. The only remaining lingering complaint is that the 8 speed has a habit of downshifting hard or "holding" in a higher gear for a bit too long. Especially with grade braking engaged. I can't tell when mine shifts from 4 to 8 or 8 to 4. I have had -0- oil usage problems either. Mine is a 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt20xd View Post
    Just have to unplug it every month or so as the factory system overrides it.
    I'd never heard of that happening...

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

11. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    I believe I would take the truck back to the dealer and have it checked. I have a 2016 GMC and am totally unaware when the AFM goes to four cylinder until I toggle to a screen that indicates 4 or 8 cylinder. If I did not want the system to shift into four around town I would just run in M5.
    Which is what I have done with my last 3 GM trucks. I like the shifting better in M5, it has more torque, and gets better fuel economy when towing, which is pretty much all I do. Not a single problem with AFM when not towing, though. My current truck is a 2015 Silverado.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

12. Banned
    I have one. It works. I burn no oil anymore. The computer does override it every 30 days. 2011 Silverado

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warpig556 View Post
    The "AFM Oil Consumption and associated issues" have been taken care of as of 2015. The only remaining lingering complaint is that the 8 speed has a habit of downshifting hard or "holding" in a higher gear for a bit too long. Especially with grade braking engaged. I can't tell when mine shifts from 4 to 8 or 8 to 4. I have had -0- oil usage problems either. Mine is a 2016.
    Not sure the problem has been completely resolved, although I hope it has been! Still reports of issues with the EcoTec 5.3, including lifters failing. May be isolated, but we haven't seen the mileage on these motors yet that we saw on the VorTec. I'll keep using it. I also put a catch can on day 1 as well. As important in my book for the new DI motors, others may disagree...
    2023 Lund 2075 Pro V Bass XS
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 250 4S

Quote Originally Posted by Warpig556 View Post
    Just to piggy back your response.
    2014 model year was the all new 5.3. No oil consumption issues. AFM is a Non issue as well. The 07 thru 13 had oil consumption issues. The Range was designed to eliminate the AFM on those model years to fix the oil consumption problem.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Have one and it works awesome .. never had to reset it

Quote Originally Posted by Brent11 View Post
    I have one. It works. I burn no oil anymore. The computer does override it every 30 days. 2011 Silverado

Might I ask which one you have and where you got it? I have a 2011 and it started burning oil pretty bad. I don't drive it everyday now but would still like to get one and see if it helps.

17. Member
    Run it in M5 around town....

18. Member
    my 2014 5.3 has afm. 52,000 and no issues .i cant feel it cant hear it and no oil loss.

19. Member
    2012 5.3 gmc Sierra. 70,000 miles. Not 1 single problem. I can't hear or feel when it goes from 8 to 4 or 4 to 8. Around town-18 mpg, open highway-mostly 21 and have hit 22 a couple of times. Oh, and by the way, NO oil consumption between oil changes. Just the facts.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Just to piggy back your response.
    2014 model year was the all new 5.3. No oil consumption issues. AFM is a Non issue as well. The 07 thru 13 had oil consumption issues. The Range was designed to eliminate the AFM on those model years to fix the oil consumption problem.
    This is correct. I had a 2015 and now have a 2017. You will not know in either when they went from 4 to 8 cylinder. I had a 2010 that had the oil consumption problem starting at around 60,000 miles. IMO and my experience the AFM system starting with the 2014 model works flawlessly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast