Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I'd try to find a M-F 235 or 245, diesel. Big enough to do anything you'll and very dependable. When my brother came home from the sandbox he tried to find a decent M-F 150/165/175......couldn't find one anywhere with a decent price. He ended buying a large M-F with a V8 Cat diesel that had been used to power a silo loader in western KY. Possibly a 2805, can't remember. It had dual wheels and cab with heat and A/C, even with the delivery fee it was cheaper than 50hp tractors around here. It was so huge only one gate on the farm was wide enough.

(606)305-1956

Kubota is too small for what you are wanting to do. Of the ones you listed, I would look hard st the Case.

I stand corrected

Scooter: Nov 1998-Jul 2011
    Otis: Oct 2010-Feb 2017

Im a Kubota guy but that Ford should serve you well. If you are running a loader I'd have 4x4 for sure. We used to have a 2 wheel dr New Holland with a loader and it was worthless.

5. Member
    If you do get a 2wd loader, make sure and put ballast in the rears or add rear weights. Makes a huge difference.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

6. Member
    I wouldn't own a 2WD tractor with a FEL

I'd jump up to looking for a compact 4x4 tractor in the 40hp range. Kubota, New Holland, Mahindra, Deere
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterDD22 View Post
    I'd jump up to looking for a compact 4x4 tractor in the 40hp range. Kubota, New Holland, Mahindra, Deere
    I would do that if money grew on trees.

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    I would do that if money grew on trees.
    Shop around, you can get one on your budget, or real close.
    Spend $10k and have something you can use or $8500 and have something you'll be wanting to sell for $5500 so that you can buy a $10k tractor.

And, next time I'm trying to do something, please come back and remind me what I told you. (I'm the worst about not heeding my own advice)

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterDD22 View Post
    And, next time I'm trying to do something, please come back and remind me what I told you. (I'm the worst about not heeding my own advice)
    Got it! Note to self: Tell SkeeterDD22 to always spend more money!

11. Member
    DO NOT BUY THE FARMTRAC!!! Lol yes I'm hollaring. They are garbage

12. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I have a Kubota model L2600F (27 hp gross engine power and 20 hp PTO power), and it has no problem handling the 5' bush hog. I mow approx. 5 acres of pasture land several times a year. I also have a blade, but have not needed it yet. This model is 2WD. I might have had occasion to need a 4WD with front loader maybe once or twice in 15 years, so am not sorry I did not spend the extra $. This Kubota is really great for my needs. Hardly sips diesel fuel and starts instantly. Bought tractor new in April 2002 and just bought the first new battery for it about 6 months ago..

Highly recommend Kubota!!!

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Got it! Note to self: Tell SkeeterDD22 to always spend more money!
    When he thinks he needs an excavator, but, excavators are $15k....and he decides that a $7500 backhoe would probably be just as good? Don't miss the opportunity.

4wd is kinda like windshield wipers. You may not need it much, but, when you do............

15. Banned
    Farmtrac 60 tractor and Dunham ler 22 loader diesel 1789hrs power steering live pto live hyd daul remotes
    Case IH 685 with quick attach loader, 60 hp, diesel

Ford 1710. With Ford 770b loader. A little over 1300 hours

2011 Kubota BX 2660 4X4, 267 hours, w/loader and belly mower, diesel, 26 engine hrs.
    1999 John Deere 4200 with loader, 2821 hours, 4x4 MFWD 4WD

I retired from 36 years working for a tractor manufacturer, and am familiar with all these tractors.

The first two are old generation, cast iron tractors. They're obviously difficult to move from place to place, but if you're cutting trees and hauling much dirt no compact tractor can do as much work. I would lean more toward the Case because of the availability of the parts, and that generation Case was a pretty tough machine. The FarmTrac is actually an old Ford 3600 copy that has a more modern engine. You can probably get 75% of parts at any New Holland dealership--excluding engine parts which are probably a Perkins. But I'd stay away from the FarmTrac because they're not a Tier 1 tractor manufacturer (for parts and service. Old cast iron tractors properly maintained will have a 75+ year life expectancy, as most are not run very hard and they're so tough.

The Ford 1710 is the biggest selling compact size of tractor--middle weight frame and decent horsepower for most people's needs. And they're great tractors. But with an agloader, I'd want a hydrostatic transmission. Loading dirt with an old crash box transmission is very slow.

The Kubota B series tractor is heavy on horsepower but very light on guts being a subcompact. This machine has the heavy in demand (and very expensive new) OEM mid mount mower. The OEM front end loader is also desirable, but don't expect it to handle really heavy work. The plus on this machine is the low hours--with a long life left.

The John Deere's in 1999 were Yanmars repainted green. They're not the highest quality compact tractor, but they're okay. What you have with Deere is easy parts and service availability. If this one had hydro tranny, it would also be good.

It all depends on how much heavy work you're going to be doing. If you're going to be working hard, moving dirt, cutting with a disc mower and running a square baler, the Case would be the one. If you're just cutting grass with it, you would be best served with the Kubota, and since you have the mid mount mower you could sell your zero turn mower to recover some of the selling price.

16. Member
    I would go with the 4x4 John Deere

Ford 8n ...since WW II. Simple mechanical tractor.

18. BBC SPONSOR
    IMO and I have owned a few tractors and mowers. The kubota will be your best one for the money. They require little to maintenance and will break down very little. I have owned 5 of them and have never done anything but change the oil on the required times and grease it. Trust the Kubota....hands down the best
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

19. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Parts availability is something to consider above all else unless you can do without it for weeks at a time.

Deere is undisputed as the king of parts availability. Never had to wait more than 3 days for anything, and most stuff is available by 7am the first working day after you call. Routine stuff is in stock. But you pay for that.

The Case and Ford parts will both be available from a Case IH or New Holland dealer.

Kubota is good for parts. Messick's has a lot of routine stuff available online.

Where would you buy parts for the Farmtrac?

Consider where you'd have to drive to pick up parts.

If you threw out snow clearing, I'd go for the 685 without question.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

20. Member
    Run from the Farmtrac.
    4X4 makes up for weight and horsepower. I have had 3 new Kubotas. Never a problem. The ford you are looking at is on the small side for your needs. The 685 Case/Ih is an excellent tractor, if it had 4X4 it would be perfect for you. F.Y.I., 4 X 4 will bring more should you ever need to sell.
    I know everyone here pays cash, but Kubota and Deere have 0 for 60.....Just an option.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast