Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Any truth to this article by an E-TEC dealer???....four-stroke vs E-TEC.

http://www.randlmarine.com/the-true-story

Across the board Evinrude E-TEC engines are as Quiet, Cleaner, Smoother, and in most cases More Fuel Efficient, More Powerful, Lighter, and Less Expensive to maintain than ANY four-cycle engine in this country, Period. Read the facts printed in BLUE in the previous section titled “The Mistaken Perception” .
    Four stroke motors develop power every other revolution of the crankshaft. Evinrude E-TEC two strokes develop power on EVERY revolution hence much more power. It is an irrefutable fact that Evinrude is more powerful. More power means smaller horsepower on a boat to perform the same as the bigger heavier less powerful four-cycle.
    Less weight uses less gasoline to run the boat and tow the boat.

Also look closely at the California Air Resources Board “Star” rating on the motor you are considering. ALL Evinrude E-TEC engines are Three Star rated. But not all four-strokes are. The less Stars the less efficient. And do yourself a favor and read the section “Are you getting what you pay for?” above.

The goal of this commentary was to try to make you a more informed consumer. Let you know there is more to choose from than you may be lead to believe.
    Four-cycle engines are good but Evinrude E-TEC is better in virtually all categories. The information written here is the opinion of the writer based on facts known at the time of the writing. If you feel I have made an error or can show I am wrong in the facts I have spoken please feel free to contact me.
    Rick Karr Sr. Owner
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

2. Member
    It may be true but I can tell you once you go 4 stroke you will not want to go back. I have not owned a Johnson/Evinrude product that was built later than the early 90s. I am sure they are at least an OK motor but I will not own one as long as they ain't making 4 strokes.

3. Banned
    I am not intelligent enough about that subject to say yeah or nay, as to the truthfulness. I would suggest though, and this I am intelligent about... actually been involved in something similar in another industry, is consider the source. Who paid for the study? Who paid for or who wrote the story? Right now there are some huge things going on the the auto industry, one of which is very relative to this, Volkswagon. They reported their engines were much more efficient than was true!!!

I have heard horror stories about the SHO engines, I've heard them about the G-Tech too. But people always talk more about their bad experiences than they do their good ones, so I don't assume either is a bad engine. I've had a good Evinrude engine before, I had a good Force engine, and my Opti-Max engine has been very good to me for 15 years.

Probably find out from people you know and trust how their engines have worked for them, and base your decisions on that. For instance, right now I would stay with Merc. But I have heard arguments for SHO, G2, Honda, ... well just about all of them.

Good luck if you are trying to decide which way to go.

Danny

PS, editing to add this, just went and read the "article" you linked to... it isn't an article at all. It is a marketing statement, much like a pamphlet, advertising Evinrude engines. I would imagine it is provided by Evinrude to this dealership. It reads like an advertisement as to WHY you should go with Evinrude. That makes me wary, because as I previously stated, I worked for a manufacturer in a different field, and we provided many such "articles" and I KNOW first hand, some were false, and in at least one occasion, we paid an additional $5 million to a very respected "independent" consulting firm in our business. The first results supported our competitor's results, our extra money made the final report read just the way we had predicted.

Talk with people who have these engines that you trust and go with that.
    Last edited by kybasser; 02-10-2017 at 10:53 AM.

4. Banned
    It was true to some extent 15 years ago but there are just as many failed etec motors as any other brand. Now days majority prefer a 4 stroke. As much as liked my old 2 stroke, i own a 4 stroke now and not looking back.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    It may be true but I can tell you once you go 4 stroke you will not want to go back. I have not owned a Johnson/Evinrude product that was built later than the early 90s. I am sure they are at least an OK motor but I will not own one as long as they ain't making 4 strokes.
    For powersports I've been going with 2-stroke as of late and I do consider a bass boat more of a toy than an appliance, but that can always change.
    I've driven a newer skeeter with a SHO and it works fine, just doesn't have the punch that a 2-stroke does and not as fun to drive or whip around corners(could be hull also), but the owner isn't into performance and works for him. 2-stroke can be better in bigger rougher water as it gives more control over the boat with the right driver of course and not something I ever considered before.

This study can be skewed just like any but It seems to be on the right track from my experience. I also was under the impression that 4-stroke was going to be better in all aspects especially sound and fuel consumption, but I found the etec just as quiet maybe even quieter and fuel is on par according to people on this board. Started looking into Etec claims as now that I purchased a boat with one to see if it was marketing only, but now it seems Yamaha was better at marketing their 4-stroke as superior just like they did with their snowmobiles but I think they based this off old 2-stroke technology.

don't think 2-stroke is going away like Yamaha planned..i think they gave up on 2-stroke a little too early, maybe because they thought it couldn't be as "clean".??
    It now hurt their market share in snowmobiles as e-tec has outsold them and there are only upsides to the technology besides longevity. It seems BRP is also working on that aspect as they claim the new 850 2-stroke can outlast the outgoing 800...interesting how the old basic 2-stroke concept has advanced to this level.

What's really drawing me in to repower with a G2 is the new foot control as I really dislike my hotfoot for long hauls. Plus the built in power steering and 10 year warranty.
    Last edited by magnumb; 02-10-2017 at 12:41 PM.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

6. Member
    [QUOTE=kybasser;8113274]I am not intelligent enough about that subject to say yeah or nay, as to the truthfulness. I would suggest though, and this I am intelligent about... actually been involved in something similar in another industry, is consider the source. Who paid for the study? Who paid for or who wrote the story? Right now there are some huge things going on the the auto industry, one of which is very relative to this, Volkswagon. They reported their engines were much more efficient than was true.

No. Not even close.
    Some of us think we know, and some of us actually know.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

7. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Well... how many two stroke cars and trucks are out there??

If they where dependable 2 strokes that would last as long as a four stroke they would be coming to age and not dying!!

They are cheaper to build and would make cars and trucks cheaper or make ford and chevy more money to use them.

They fact is a 4 stroke can last 200000 plus miles, and I know there is Honda's out there with 15000 hours on them!!

8. Member
    I went out of Cocodrie last fast with a group that runs twin Yamaha F series engines. The guy I ran with says they run all their engines 20 to 30k hours. I've been told Hondas do the same. That being said, the F series isn't fast but very dependable. If the G2 was all there would be one on just about every bass boat. IMO. They just don't sell a lot for some reason.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

9. Banned
    They really need to change the styling of the Etec if they want to be a serious contender in the matket place, that look just won't ever grow on many people.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    They really need to change the styling of the Etec if they want to be a serious contender in the matket place, that look just won't ever grow on many people.
    if it continues to be a dependable engine they will be fine,plus a 10 year warranty.i don't see brp getting out of the marine business.besides even the black engine dosent look that good when you are broke down.jmo
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

11. Member
    i must be an oddball because i think they are the best looking motor out there. i didn't at first but they kept growing on me. as far as the dealers post, go to his website. no boats for sale, no engines for sale? looks like he only performs service?
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Pool 10

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Well... how many two stroke cars and trucks are out there??

If they where dependable 2 strokes that would last as long as a four stroke they would be coming to age and not dying!!

They are cheaper to build and would make cars and trucks cheaper or make ford and chevy more money to use them.

They fact is a 4 stroke can last 200000 plus miles, and I know there is Honda's out there with 15000 hours on them!!
    cars and trucks are operating at 1000-2000 rpm under 20% throttle. This is fine for them. As far as two stroke making power every revaluation to do this is not required. However 4 stroke in this condition is advantageous to "complete" fuel burn due to how it works.

boats running 40-100% throttle at 17-80 mph having combustion every rev is adventitious to operating in rough water due to throttle response. (Precived power and actual power are different, example drive down the road in some pos manual car feather off the pedal and then just burp it, your passengers head will whip back but even if you stay wide open throttle it won't accelerate. This is because rotating mass inside the motor gets going and you feel it hit the resistance. 4strokes have more balancing due to not making power every rev) two stroke pulls harder roof is in physics.

Two stroke motors are lighter weight(, have fewer parts. 4 stroke 250 hp merc 668 pounds plus oil. proxs 505... Vmax 555 + 7quarts oil. Etecg2 537... Anyone run light gear to be faster? Or a 24v troller? Why do that and Run a 4 stroke?

13. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    What about Nascar, Indy cars Drag racing, and Formula one cars up to 10-14K R's

Other than motor cross and snow mobiles, and RC engines did they race them. All of them are for the most part now running 4 strokes.

Lets not forget Aircraft engine where weight would be a huge disadvantage, yet they opt for the 4 stroke do to their dependability!!!!

14. Member
    I do not care if a motor has had all of its rotating mass trimmed down to the nth degree. I want a motor that is reliable, dependable, gets decent fuel mileage, and will pop the hull up on plane easily and has decent tourque throughout its operating range. IMO a four stroke accomplishes these things adequately.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumb View Post
    For powersports I've been going with 2-stroke as of late and I do consider a bass boat more of a toy than an appliance, but that can always change.
    I've driven a newer skeeter with a SHO and it works fine, just doesn't have the punch that a 2-stroke does and not as fun to drive or whip around corners(could be hull also), but the owner isn't into performance and works for him. 2-stroke can be better in bigger rougher water as it gives more control over the boat with the right driver of course and not something I ever considered before.

This study can be skewed just like any but It seems to be on the right track from my experience. I also was under the impression that 4-stroke was going to be better in all aspects especially sound and fuel consumption, but I found the etec just as quiet maybe even quieter and fuel is on par according to people on this board. Started looking into Etec claims as now that I purchased a boat with one to see if it was marketing only, but now it seems Yamaha was better at marketing their 4-stroke as superior just like they did with their snowmobiles but I think they based this off old 2-stroke technology.

don't think 2-stroke is going away like Yamaha planned..i think they gave up on 2-stroke a little too early, maybe because they thought it couldn't be as "clean".??
    It now hurt their market share in snowmobiles as e-tec has outsold them and there are only upsides to the technology besides longevity. It seems BRP is also working on that aspect as they claim the new 850 2-stroke can outlast the outgoing 800...interesting how the old basic 2-stroke concept has advanced to this level.

What's really drawing me in to repower with a G2 is the new foot control as I really dislike my hotfoot for long hauls. Plus the built in power steering and 10 year warranty.
    That's ridiculous, the low end of the SHO blows away any other motor on the market today....but I've actually owned diff brands on the same hulls and would know the diff
    2003 Stroker with 2014 SHO
    2012 21RDC Bullet with 2016 SHO

I bet he selles E-TEC . LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumb View Post
    http://www.randlmarine.com/the-true-story

Across the board Evinrude E-TEC engines are as Quiet, Cleaner, Smoother, and in most cases More Fuel Efficient, More Powerful, Lighter, and Less Expensive to maintain than ANY four-cycle engine in this country, Period. Read the facts printed in BLUE in the previous section titled “The Mistaken Perception” .
    Four stroke motors develop power every other revolution of the crankshaft. Evinrude E-TEC two strokes develop power on EVERY revolution hence much more power. It is an irrefutable fact that Evinrude is more powerful. More power means smaller horsepower on a boat to perform the same as the bigger heavier less powerful four-cycle.
    Less weight uses less gasoline to run the boat and tow the boat.

Also look closely at the California Air Resources Board “Star” rating on the motor you are considering. ALL Evinrude E-TEC engines are Three Star rated. But not all four-strokes are. The less Stars the less efficient. And do yourself a favor and read the section “Are you getting what you pay for?” above.

The goal of this commentary was to try to make you a more informed consumer. Let you know there is more to choose from than you may be lead to believe.
    Four-cycle engines are good but Evinrude E-TEC is better in virtually all categories. The information written here is the opinion of the writer based on facts known at the time of the writing. If you feel I have made an error or can show I am wrong in the facts I have spoken please feel free to contact me.
    Rick Karr Sr. Owner

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    cars and trucks are operating at 1000-2000 rpm under 20% throttle. This is fine for them. As far as two stroke making power every revaluation to do this is not required. However 4 stroke in this condition is advantageous to "complete" fuel burn due to how it works.

boats running 40-100% throttle at 17-80 mph having combustion every rev is adventitious to operating in rough water due to throttle response. (Precived power and actual power are different, example drive down the road in some pos manual car feather off the pedal and then just burp it, your passengers head will whip back but even if you stay wide open throttle it won't accelerate. This is because rotating mass inside the motor gets going and you feel it hit the resistance. 4strokes have more balancing due to not making power every rev) two stroke pulls harder roof is in physics.

Two stroke motors are lighter weight(, have fewer parts. 4 stroke 250 hp merc 668 pounds plus oil. proxs 505... Vmax 555 + 7quarts oil. Etecg2 537... Anyone run light gear to be faster? Or a 24v troller? Why do that and Run a 4 stroke?
    Your infor is incorrect. A 250 yamaha SHO weighs 505lbs dry weight.

18. Member
    I heard that Mercury will stop making 2 strokes by the year 2020

19. Member
    does this alter your opinion?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...4157&FORM=VIRE
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianOutlaw! View Post
    That's ridiculous, the low end of the SHO blows away any other motor on the market today....but I've actually owned diff brands on the same hulls and would know the diff
    Pool 10

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    What about Nascar, Indy cars Drag racing, and Formula one cars up to 10-14K R's

Other than motor cross and snow mobiles, and RC engines did they race them. All of them are for the most part now running 4 strokes.

Lets not forget Aircraft engine where weight would be a huge disadvantage, yet they opt for the 4 stroke do to their dependability!!!!
    Wow, do you understand any engine theory or the thermodynamic cycles that go into them? An aircraft (jet) engine is using the brayton cycle, just like a diesel engine is the diesel cycle, and a 4 stroke is the otto cycle. All of these are different and have different purposes. A 2 stroke actually has the potential to be more thermodynamically efficient that it's 4 stroke cousin, but that really boils down to design. I'll take my 2 stroke all day every day. Just doesn't feel like boating or fishing without the smell of burning oil in the morning.

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast