Rock Lake in Lake Mills, WI

Any intel on this lake? I've heard a lot about underwater rock piles or pyramids in this lake which should be pretty good for offshore dropshotting and such. Anybody in here fish it recently?

2. Member

3. Member
    There's definitely no pyramids, and not much for rock in the lake. Used to be an amazing lake 20 years ago, been a cesspool for the last 5-8 years.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    There's definitely no pyramids, and not much for rock in the lake. Used to be an amazing lake 20 years ago, been a cesspool for the last 5-8 years.
    Really?
    I haven't been there for about 5-6 years, we went early spring for a tournament, 20 boats or so out of 40 had good limits of smallies off beds I'd assume, and water was pretty clear, I guessed there was a great population of smallies in the lake? We have a tournament coming up next month there, too bad to hear it's going South.
    Last edited by Umckibben; 07-18-2019 at 07:19 PM.
    Cheese County Bass Club

5. Member
    It just had EVERYTHING kept out of it, so to be honest it's somewhat on its way back. Smallies show up in the spring for sure, that's been better the last 2/3 years. Right now just focus on the deepest weeds and being around the bluegill.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    It just had EVERYTHING kept out of it, so to be honest it's somewhat on its way back. Smallies show up in the spring for sure, that's been better the last 2/3 years. Right now just focus on the deepest weeds and being around the bluegill.
    See, there was the info I was looking for. No spots, just a general idea what to be looking for. I've heard bad fishing reports on my end as well...but I would like to find out for myself. Thanks for the help

7. Member
    Definitely a deep jig/ drop shot bite off shore this time of year. My old club used to get some nice frog fish in the marsh, I’ve never gotten anything big the few times I’ve fished back there.

Quote Originally Posted by trueangla View Post
    Definitely a deep jig/ drop shot bite off shore this time of year. My old club used to get some nice frog fish in the marsh, I’ve never gotten anything big the few times I’ve fished back there.
    How deep is deep? Like 25+ feet deep or less? I'm assuming the marsh is the south pool?

Your going to do a lot of catching, finding keepers will be the issue. Move around and you’ll find em.

Only fished it a few times and had a bit of fun. Lots of numbers but not too many good fish. Seems like a decent brown fish population and a large population of okay green ones. Caught fish on Arigs, tubes, drop shot, deep cranks, jerkbaits. This was all last summer.

Rock lake was definitely a fun lake to fish...Fishboy and bassaddic are right there isn't a ton of size in that lake. Only had a few hours to prefish on Saturday and caught 9 just hitting areas that I felt more confident fishing...biggest was maybe 15 inches. Sunday I went back to the flat on the southwest corner of the lake and started catching them right away on a chatterbait in 6-9 feet. I switched up to a ned rig (1/10 oz black head with a green pumpkin TRD) and it was lights out on numbers the rest of the day...but the biggest was only 15 inches. The key was finding areas on the flat in 6-9 feet where the weeds were only 1-2 feet off the bottom. If the weeds were really overgrown I didn't get bit. Used the wind to my advantage to kind of impart action on the bait since it was a lighter jig head.

A couple of 16, 17 and 18 inch fish were caught...maybe 10 total of out 25+ limits. Seems like the bigger fish came on the northern half of the lake....and a couple reports of bigger fish lost on the south end including a 4+ pound smallie one guy hooked on the 5XD on the triangle shaped island on the south end. Ended up in 9th out of 30 guys with 72.50 inches. Winner had 77.00 inches. We go by inches in our kayak events...and they are all paper tournaments so no fish are kept in livewells.