Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Commute to work car?

Well I hate to do this and possibly have my man card revoked but I'm looking for a used car to use on my daily 80 mile round trip to work and home. My tundra is running me about $130 in fuel just during the week for work and I'm kinda leaning towards just leaving it hooked up to the boat and maybe for some winter use. I'm 6'4" and about 250lbs and would like to spend about $8k or less what do you guys suggest?
    2018 Nitro Z21

I'm better than you
    http://www.facebook.com/vincent.hytry

2. Banned
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good, used Subaru.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    Stay with Toyota. They run forever. A camery, corella, or even Prius.

5. Member
    Love the Ruckus

Or the Grom
    Hi Mike.

6. Member
    Friend of mine bought a used Kia and drove it for about 10 years before he retired . Said he saved a lot of gas . I would go to reputable used car dealer and try out which one suits you best . Especially comfort both getting in/out and driving .

7. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowhuntercoop View Post
    If you like your toyota I agree with this....except for the Prius unless you have a great understanding of how a battery change would work out for you.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

8. Member
    I think for $8k you'll be sorry. Plus you have to factor in taxes, insurance, repairs, etc.
    Drive what you own, make a different decision on your next primary driver.

9. Member
    I handed in my man card a while back I guess. My truck is a GMC Sierra, but my work car is a bright red Mazda 3 with a butterfly license plate and polka dot keychain.

Was my wife's first car that she bought when she turned 16. My round trip each day is also just over 80 miles, and that car gets about 33ish.

10. Member
    My round trip each day is 136 miles. I'd love to find an electric vehicle to commute in.
    Hi Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    If you like your toyota I agree with this....except for the Prius unless you have a great understanding of how a battery change would work out for you.
    Do you have any knowledge about batteries going bad? Not trying to be argumentative, genuinely curious. I've read a LOT of experiences with people having first generation Priuses with battery packs still going strong, and about newer ones going hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles without needing replacement.

I also ask because I was going to suggest finding a used Prius, enjoying the fuel economy, and driving it until the wheels fall off. My in-laws have one that's 12 years old with almost 200k that's never even thought about missing a beat. They considered selling it, but haven't seen any need as it's so reliable and cheap to operate.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

12. Member
    Just about any smaller car will cut the gas bill a bunch. Trick is to find one to fit you.

13. Banned
    70 mile round-trip commute here

I drive a 2010 Mercury Milan. Gets 28 mpg. It's pretty much the nicer version of the Ford Fusion.

Whatever you get, make sure it's comfortable. Going too cheap and getting nonadjustable concrete seats will be something you regret.

Best part of all is that my truck isn't running up the miles allowing it to hold its value really well, and I get to keep it longer. Having an extra vehicle on hand really is nice too when you have to drop one off for maintenance, oil changes, and such. I will always have a work commuter car, just too many good reasons to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhuntercoop View Post
    lots of cars and trucks run forever and all brands have problems. Find you a late 90's or very early 2000's, Pontiac Bonneville or Buick Park Avenue with the 3.8 v6 in it. One of the best motors made and should not break the bank to buy. They usually get around 28mpg.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    I think for $8k you'll be sorry. Plus you have to factor in taxes, insurance, repairs, etc.
    Drive what you own, make a different decision on your next primary driver.
    Speaking from experience, I completely disagree with this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    My only worry with this would be winter lol

17. 2012 619 w/ 200 SHO
    I do 160 mile round trip. Bought a 4 year old Hyundai Elantra loaded out with 50K for $8500. Gets about 32-33 with my foot in it, never tried to baby it and get better. Anything over 30mpg is making me money even after insurance etc.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Boy View Post
    My only worry with this would be winter lol
    They make heated clothing
    Hi Mike.

19. Banned
    I do 140/day and like to stick with old Buicks with a 3800. 28/29 mpg and you can find em well taken care of.

20. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Do you have any knowledge about batteries going bad? Not trying to be argumentative, genuinely curious. I've read a LOT of experiences with people having first generation Priuses with battery packs still going strong, and about newer ones going hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles without needing replacement.

I also ask because I was going to suggest finding a used Prius, enjoying the fuel economy, and driving it until the wheels fall off. My in-laws have one that's 12 years old with almost 200k that's never even thought about missing a beat. They considered selling it, but haven't seen any need as it's so reliable and cheap to operate.
    Any battery can and will go bad, last I heard they were supposed to last 10 years, but a lot depends on use. To me its just a part of checking out a used car before I purchase it. There are things which need checked, with hybrids like Prius that includes the battery pack. I personally just would not do it until I understood fully how all that works. There are plenty of other cars which get 30-40 mpg that are less complicated.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast