Thread: V165 WT Prop?

V165 WT Prop?

I have a new 2024 V165 WT with a 90 HP Mercury with 2.07 gears. The dealer installed a 14 X 15 aluminum prop. During my break in , the boat just seems sluggish. comes up on plane but when I try to trim it the prop washes out. I can only get the boat to about 35 MPH. At WOT when I reach about 5500 RPM the prop again breaks loose and I have to back off. If anyone else has this setup, what prop are you running? I am taking the boat out again tomorrow to get more accurate numbers.

2. Member
    My 2012 Lund Rebel 1625 has a 75 hp. Optimax and came with a Black Max (13X19) 3 blade, now running an aluminum Spitfire 4 blade (12.9X19), no blowout, better holeshot, handling but 1-3 mph less @wot. Have to run a prop that gives you revs in the upper end of the motor rev range at wot with a normal load. Your dealer should help you with this prop selection, or go to the Mercury website and find the "prop selector" guide.

3. Member
    Check your engine mounting height as well. The cavitation plate (1st flat plate above prop) should be even with or less than 1.5" above the very bottom of the boat if you lay a straight edge on the hull. Having the motor mounted too high could cause some of the issues you're describing. I can also vouch for the spitfire prop being a nice improvement. I put one on my 2020 175txw 60hp that had the same sluggishness your describing and blow out in the turns and it brought my boat to life. GREATLY improved hole shot and reduced time to get on plane. I didn't loose any top end speed which was 35mph before and after. I believe 5750 is max RPM's for that motor so you're in the neighborhood on the proper pitch.
    2023 Targa V-19 Combo
    Mercury 200hp XS XL Four stroke
    Garmin Force TM-36v Ionic Lithium Batteries
    Best Speed to date: 51.2mph
    BEST/WORST: Storage / Compartment moisture