Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar

2" Spacers Back On - 14" Setback - Bravo 1 XS

2016, 921 XP / SHO
    All set to give it go with the Bravo 1 XS on 14" setback... Also raised motor to bottom hole!
    Unfortunately, it will be a bit before I can get on large enough water to have a good run.
    Will report asap! Yes I know bolts were in backwards. I changed em back as you see in pic 2

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fidgetcranker; 05-29-2018 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added info

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

3. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Had a chance for a few short runs tonight with the new setup. Left the hydro JP low, since my wife was my partner.
    Anyway, Holeshot was a little slower at 4 sec, but the acceleration seemed much faster. Managed to get to 68 mph real quick.
    It did still seem a bit squirrely at wot, same as it did with the T1 with spacers on.
    I'll know more when I can get some longer water, and run alone. I need to play with JP & trim to find that sweet spot.
    Just wanna add, when I run, I will have a full tank, 30 lbs plastics in front hatch, and enough gear for 2 + anglers. That's how I made my other runs, so wanna keep it the same.

I see that you are running the motor on bottom hole of the jackplate. My 921 came rigged with the motor on the 2nd hole from the top. This might explain the extreme trim that I have to use and porpoising in the corners. My numbers aren't in the same ballpark as what you are getting.

5. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haybo View Post
    I see that you are running the motor on bottom hole of the jackplate. My 921 came rigged with the motor on the 2nd hole from the top. This might explain the extreme trim that I have to use and porpoising in the corners. My numbers aren't in the same ballpark as what you are getting.
    Mine came like yours and I ran full trim. I moved motor to 2nd hole from bottom, and it was much better. still ran full trim, or 1 bump down.
    Don't recall your motor, or Jack plate setup. I think you have a sho. If so, try moving motor down 1 hole to 2nd from bottom.
    I may the first with a hydro plate to go to bottom hole, but I did that cuz with the spacers on, my motor sits lower being farther back. Just experimenting now.
    Some with manual plates went to bottom hole on motor because they don't go as high as hydro plates do.
    List your setup and myself and some others will help if your looking for better performance.
    My boat always sort of chined on corners because I try to go too fast. Not a porpoise, more of a mild chine type rocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    Mine came like yours and I ran full trim. I moved motor to 2nd hole from bottom, and it was much better. still ran full trim, or 1 bump down.
    Don't recall your motor, or Jack plate setup. I think you have a sho. If so, try moving motor down 1 hole to 2nd from bottom.
    I may the first with a hydro plate to go to bottom hole, but I did that cuz with the spacers on, my motor sits lower being farther back. Just experimenting now.
    Some with manual plates went to bottom hole on motor because they don't go as high as hydro plates do.
    List your setup and myself and some others will help if your looking for better performance.
    My boat always sort of chined on corners because I try to go too fast. Not a porpoise, more of a mild chine type rocking.

It's a 921 XP with 250 SHO and Atlas 12 inch. I am currently running the 26 Bravo 1 XS. It is better than the T-2 everywhere, but there is still too much effort to drive it. I'm not getting your top end. Running at 72 TX loaded with jackplate at 16-17. Not good I the corners that high...

7. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haybo View Post
    It's a 921 XP with 250 SHO and Atlas 12 inch. I am currently running the 26 Bravo 1 XS. It is better than the T-2 everywhere, but there is still too much effort to drive it. I'm not getting your top end. Running at 72 TX loaded with jackplate at 16-17. Not good I the corners that high...
    I know guys that run a Merc Pro xs at 16-17 on an Atlas. Sho can go higher, especially if you're in 2nd hole from top. When you get your JP & trim up to where the sound slightly changes to a deeper motor sound, that means your prop is surfacing... you bump down on trim or JP, or both 1-2 bumps. Your sweet spot is in that area. Try bumping trim down first, that should help steering be easier.
    As for the cornering...try this... slow up a little & get prop a little deeper and bump JP down to like 14-15. Then when you straighten out, raise it all back up and gooooo!
    I could be all wrong , but hope this helps!

8. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    if I was still in the second hole down my Atlas would be on 20 all the time, I moved to the 3rd hole and still on 16-17, and runs just as good on 20

I agree with Fidgetcranker I trim down in the turns.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

9. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    UPDATE: I've been running this setup with the Bravo 1XS... 2" spacers, and with motor raised to bottom hole for a short time now, and I'm not real happy with it so far.
    I think with the motor in bottom hole, I don't seem to get enough grip at wot, (maybe jp was too high) but acceleration is crazy fast!
    Holeshot is a little slower, so going to put 2 plugs in with small hole instead of all solid plugs for testing that.

I haven't had the chance for a long enough run to play with JP & trim WHILE running, but I have made some lengthy runs where I moved JP & trim where I thought it should go and my top end seems to have suffered. I've hit 70 mph at 5870 rpms with very little more to go.
    Water at 81*, air temp at 85*. A little warmer than when I ran previous setups, but still feel I should do better.

I raised the motor to the bottom hole because the rear sits lower with 2" spacers on... BUT by moving to the bottom hole, I believe it's too much height difference for how much the spacers' distance lowers rear. The motor seem to look really high with JP at the usual 2" mark, or even at the 1" mark! Could be an optical illusion.
    I need to get to larger water to make a more decisive conclusion on this set up. Stay tuned!

Next move will be to leave spacers on, and go back to 2nd hole from bottom. I had tried that with 25-T1, and she was hard to control. Maybe it'll be better with Bravo 1XS.

10. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    wouldn't you just run the jack plate in a lower position to make up for raising it a hole. Thats really the only reason I was raising mine again, was so I didn't have to run the jack plate so high.
    info@drewcraft.com

11. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    wouldn't you just run the jack plate in a lower position to make up for raising it a hole. Thats really the only reason I was raising mine again, was so I didn't have to run the jack plate so high.
    Well, that's what I thought. It makes sense, and it worked fine when I raised motor to 2nd from bottom hole. But something about the motor sitting in that bottom hole makes it look extra high, like too high. So I ran JP a whole number lower to compensate and I still don't got it right. Possibly not low enough, tho I did play with it a little. Maybe it's the spacers, may be the driver, or both, but I just haven't found the spot yet.
    It's different, (for me) I'll tell ya that much. You don't have spacers, so the bottom hole may not seem different if JP is set lower. It does on mine tho. I'm going to give myself time to find the best possible setting for it. I need more water, and we've had a lot of rain so, no river runs yet. That's where I need to run.

12. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    yep thats 14" plus what the the SHO has itself, I imagine it handles quite different
    info@drewcraft.com

You try raising motor to top for hole shot? Then coming down?

14. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xranger77 View Post
    You try raising motor to top for hole shot? Then coming down?
    Will try that, thank you. Put 25-T1 back on for tournament. In practice yesterday with partner, hole shot was waaayyyy too slow. Must be the added 2" spacers?
    Was going to try adding 2 plugs with small holes, but I just didn't want to experiment with it in a tourney. Will try those plugs next, if it's no help, I'll be removing spacers, as well as mounting motor back in 2nd hole from bottom. That's where it ran best with 25-T1 & 26p Bravo 1xs

Try the top down method. Might work and much closer to WOT spot on plate

16. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    yep when my livewells are full I take off with the jackplate all the way up and come down
    info@drewcraft.com

17. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    yep when my livewells are full I take off with the jackplate all the way up and come down
    I've never had to do that. Although when I did it helped. So I tried my worked 25-T1 cuz when I first got spacers, that worked fine with a small mph gain, but not this time with motor in bottom hole. I just couldn't find right setting for holeshot and/or top end. Maybe I didn't give myself enough time to adjust, Sooo...
    I took the 2" spacers off, and left motor in bottom hole. Put stock Bravo 1XS back on with 6 solid plugs & 2 small holed plugs in.

I was out yesterday in 81* water, air 85*+...I was alone...Gas at 35 gal, empty wells, all my gear (30+ rods, 30+ lbs of plastics front hatch, Big hatch loaded with hard baits, jigs, & terminal...rear hatches always just hold pfd's & throwable, Plus tools (15 lbs) & spare prop in bilge hatch .........
    2016, 921 XP/SHO, 4 batteries, 10' blades. (for those who don't know my rig)

Holeshot was 3 sec, maybe a hair more, but used to always be 4 sec. Anyways, definitely quicker with 2 small hole plugs in Bravo 1xs.
    Top end was 75.6 mph...rpm's 6146! Higher than I would think they should be.
    I know the worked 25-T1 would not have hit those numbers with the temps being what they were.

As for the SHO being raised to bottom hole, I like it better! The settings aren't that much different when you run. Jackplate ended up at 1/2" lower for me at holeshot & wot.
    Last edited by Fidgetcranker; 06-09-2018 at 07:47 AM.

Get that heavy stuff out of the bow. Put the PFDs and throwable up there. I would put tools in passenger side hatch.

I bet you have at least 20lbs in the front box.

Just a suggestion....

19. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xranger77 View Post
    Get that heavy stuff out of the bow. Put the PFDs and throwable up there. I would put tools in passenger side hatch.

I bet you have at least 20lbs in the front box.

Just a suggestion....
    Yeah, I do. I like my stuff up front for when I fish with other anglers. I don't like asking them to step aside to get plastics. It would be different if I didn't fish with co-anglers, buddies, & wife.
    Tools can go in bilge, in hatch on passenger side tray. It's a big soft side cooler that mashes down and lays flat in that tray real nice.
    I'm not trying to set up for best speed, I'm trying to get best speed & performance with the way I carry things for my fishing style.
    That said, I think my speed is pretty good considering I'm not set up for it. I may change things around sometime just to compare the difference.
    Thanks for the thought!

No problem at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast