1998 200 efi missing/no rev at 3000 rpm

Serial OG741767

Motor idles perfect. Starts easy. As motor reaches right at 3000 rpm it gets horrible miss and will absolutely not rev. While idling on muffs all three starboard side plugs stall motor when plug wire are removed. All 3 port side plugs have no change in idle when wire removed.

All 6 cylinders have spark. All cylinders were tested using spark tester set to 1/2".

Idle stabilizer and advanced module have both been removed. Timing set to 23 wot.

Port side plugs are wet starboard side are normal. Did notice a definite temp difference between cylinder heads as the problem side was much cooler.

I have ohm and dva metered everything and all fall right in middle of spec per merc manual.

I have tried a different set of ebay cheapo switch boxs with same results.

Only thing I haven't dug into are the voltage regulators. Could those cause this issue?

Losing my mind on this one any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

2. Member
    does voltage drop at 3000
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Realdeel,before changing a lot of electronic parts,check the reeds. You might be able to see them with an extendable inspection mirror.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    does voltage drop at 3000
    I haven't checked anything at the problem rpm. Which voltage check are you interested in? Stator, trigger, regulators?

As far as the other question. Reeds are new Chris Carson fiber reeds. I suppose I could still have bad ones.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Check the voltage output of the stator...very unlikely it's a a reed problem,Chris

6. Member
    +1 ^^^^^ high side of stator on 2,4,6 and other side as well
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    I swapped red and blue wires on each switch box. Still same issue of cylinders 1 3 5 no change in idle when plug wires removed?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    May not be able to distinguish significant differences pulling plug wires. You need a DVA and a DVOM to properly test the stator outputs.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    May not be able to distinguish significant differences pulling plug wires. You need a DVA and a DVOM to properly test the stator outputs.
    I agree. I have dva and ohm tested both stator and trigger @ 1k rpms. Everything is right in the middle of merc specs.

Update.

New stator and trigger. Had tried a set of cheapo ebay switch boxes and still have the dead miss at 3k rpms. I installed my original merc switch boxs and no no apparent miss. Boat will get on pad now but takes forever. This boat has always jumped on pad quick. It's a absolute dog currently.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I have dva and ohm tested coils, trigger, stator. Everything is right on spec to merc manual.

I installed new stator and trigger. Same dead miss at 3k rpms. Few days back I tried a set of cheapo <See Announcements> switch boxes same results. I installed my original merc switch boxs and the miss is gone but it's a absolute dog getting on pad. This boat has always jumped on pad quick. Ideas?
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 05-29-2020 at 10:17 AM.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Avoid the "bay" as we do NOT support products purchased there here in the forums (see Forum Announcements for further info).

Did you perform a COMPLETE Sync-n-Link Procedure after you replaced the Stator and Trigger- AND after you put the OEM Switch Boxes back on the engine?

Advance/Detonation module still on engine?

What is the idle timing and WOT timing set at currently?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    What is sync-n-link

13. Member
    verify all linkages and timming settings /tps adjustments are set according to manual requirements