Replace tile on shower head wall

Have missing tiles on shower head wall in my bathroom. I want to re-tile myself. I believe I should replace the drywall behind the the tile first? Is there a better option (that may be waterproof) out there than drywall.

Hope we have some DIY guys here.
    "SEE YOU AT THE TOP"

2. Member
    You should use either cement board or (what I like to use) cement coated water proof drywall. If you have a Menards close by they carry the cement coated drywall. Use Hardie Backer screws when installing. Good luck!
    I've got money I haven't even spent yet!
    2011 Nitro Z8--200 pro xs

Quote Originally Posted by sawguy View Post
    You should use either cement board or (what I like to use) cement coated water proof drywall. If you have a Menards close by they carry the cement coated drywall. Use Hardie Backer screws when installing. Good luck!
    Correct spelling?
    "SEE YOU AT THE TOP"

Quote Originally Posted by cashion1 View Post
    Correct spelling?
    Hardie board screws are square drive with bit included with the screws and Durock are phillips. Either one will work.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

Quote Originally Posted by haha View Post
    Hardie board screws are square drive with bit included with the screws and Durock are phillips. Either one will work.
    Thanks
    "SEE YOU AT THE TOP"

6. Member
    If you are intending on just replacing the shower head wall...you need to be concerned about how to water proof the adjacent wall union...almost impossible to get it 100% in the corner...I suggest replacing all of the tile. Use a moisture resistant drywall and then utilize the products from a company called Schluter....Kerdi waterproof fabrics and tapes etc. If money is and issue and you have a tile flange behind the shower pan or bathtub( you have not stated whether this is a tub/shower or a shower with a composite base or a fully tiled shower), you could strip it to the studs and then use 30lb. roofing felt draped over the flange just a bit and then install cement board over it and then tile it. We use this method when things need to be done at a lower budget....but do not attempt this if you have a shower with a tiled shower pan!!!!! We only use Schluter products for this application...www.weilerandmorgan.com N.E. Georgia remodeling contractor owner....don't hesitate to pose more questions!!! and good luck.........

I really have not even taken a good look at it. Company is providing house along with the new job. Won't be moving in until late December, early January or February.
    I have been moving things in a bit at a time when I get a chance. Noticed the tiles missing on the wet wall. Shower is not attached to the tub. The tub is a Jacuzzi style tub.
    Don't get many chances to to get out there. 3hr. drive. Very busy time of year for us. 12-15 hr. days. Very few weekends off if any till end of December. Next chance I get to get out there, I'll take pics of the tub and shower, along with pics of the tile damage.
    Thank you to everyone who is following this thread and willing to help.
    "SEE YOU AT THE TOP"

8. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Look at Kerdi board by schluter. Light weight, waterproof and easy to cut and install. Kind of expensive but worth it.

Dale Sinclair original

I will.
    "SEE YOU AT THE TOP"