Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    It wasnt that it was four years old...it was that it was silver thread lol
    2009 Z8 -2013 250 PRO XS-Dual 10' Power Pole Blades-Humminbird 1198,1197,998-MG 109-

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Thomas View Post
    It wasnt that it was four years old...it was that it was silver thread lol
    Heard that
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Ok I am going to toss my idea in.. well its a mix of ideas I have seen over the years but I made it my own.

1.) I got all different rod socks for all of my rigs. Makes for a colorful rod box...! yes I have had to buy them from different places but i like it. this is for quick looks...

2.) I am not sure the name but I found these little white plant flags that are used to label plants in a planter (found 100 for like 5$ on amazon) they are about 1/2" wide, plastic and white.

3.) They have a pointy end for pushing into the soil that i just cut off to make it square and then used small zip ties to attach it to each rod sock (think I even saw this by someone on here)

4.) took the label maker and printed off the info in tape that fits the plastic tab. (can get a lot of info on there if you do it right)

5.) I also took clear tape and covered that just to make sure it held on good. Oh and If you remember to always put the rod sock on the saw way then the tab is always on top.

I always have a word document saved that has all the info about every rod, reel, what i plan to use it for, rod sock color, line etc. and have it printed and in the boat with me. yes I know I might be a little OCD....
    2001 Triton TR176DC, Mercury 125hp, Lowrance HDS9 gen3 & HDS7 gen2

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roba22 View Post
    Ok I am going to toss my idea in.. well its a mix of ideas I have seen over the years but I made it my own.

1.) I got all different rod socks for all of my rigs. Makes for a colorful rod box...! yes I have had to buy them from different places but i like it. this is for quick looks...

2.) I am not sure the name but I found these little white plant flags that are used to label plants in a planter (found 100 for like 5$ on amazon) they are about 1/2" wide, plastic and white.

3.) They have a pointy end for pushing into the soil that i just cut off to make it square and then used small zip ties to attach it to each rod sock (think I even saw this by someone on here)

4.) took the label maker and printed off the info in tape that fits the plastic tab. (can get a lot of info on there if you do it right)

5.) I also took clear tape and covered that just to make sure it held on good. Oh and If you remember to always put the rod sock on the saw way then the tab is always on top.

I always have a word document saved that has all the info about every rod, reel, what i plan to use it for, rod sock color, line etc. and have it printed and in the boat with me. yes I know I might be a little OCD....
    You have taken it to a whole notther level!
    Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 11-19-2016 at 09:46 AM.

5. Member
    I etch a number on the real seat that is easily visible and write line size and change date on painters Tape and stick it on the bottom side of the rod locker. Pretty simple quick reference.
    I use awesome notes app for all the reals and rod details. That's not so simple but that's the ocd kicking in.

A few years ago Office Max ran an Internet ad for a Brother's label maker for $9.95. Store employees knew nothing about it. I bought one. Glad I did, many different settings---- size of print, font, color, ect

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I like having a date of the line on my reels. This past spring, I was throwing a chatterbait on a rod I don't use often. I had the biggest bass I've ever seen come up and hit the chatterbait on short line and the line popped like a firecracker. Lost my $9 chatterbait plus the bass of my lifetime....looked at what line was on there and it was four year old 20# Silver Thread. I had nobody to blame but myself. The rod went back in the box until it got fresh line on it.
    I hear what you are saying. 4 years is too long, BUT I've always wandered why we are told to change our line often yet DON'T discard your line on the shoreline because it will not disintegrate(or whatever). I think line is often a scheme against us. Nicks are usually in the last few feet and as long as your line doesn't sit out in the sun it seems to stay pretty good. I reverse my line after awhile and I get even more use out of it. I have some 2 year old Sunline Sniper on my jerkbait rod and it's still in great shape. This is great, yet expensive line and I just have a hard time discarding it. Of course I don't fish for a living.

8. Member
    What do ya'll think about a folder in your cell phone with a picture of the reel and the box the line came from and the picture would have the date line was installed?

9. Member
    folder in your cell phone with a picture of the reel and the box the line came from and the picture would have the date line was installed

Good idea, if I remember to take the picture. At least I wouldn't lose it so easily.

10. Member
    You might have to number reels if you have matching reels and don't drop your cell in the lake.

11. Member
    I use labels my wife made on her cricket machine and since I use to wrap rods I put the epoxy over it and put it on the Turner I have till it dries and it is permantly on there and you can't tell I've done anything to it, but some wouldn't want that permantly on there and don't have a Turner but it has defiantly helped me keep up with everything

12. Member
    I use white wraps on my reel handles. My default size is #12 so it has no wraps. 1 tie =#10, 2ties, one one each side of handle = #15. A single black wrap = #17.

13. Member
    Mono I always buy the green....not the clear.....this helps solve that issue. Then I use the small electrician adhesive numbers for labeling wires in your breaker box. I stick it inside the reel on the spool and it stays put forever. If I move the reel to a new rod, or change spools......it's still always right.

Dude, time ya mess with all those Rods , its time to reload Boat and go home aint' it??

I just found a book of numbers in the electrical section of lowes. They ar for numbering wiring. Small numbers you can peel and stick to your real or rod, water proof, and enough numbers to last years for me. $10
    Vexus DVX19

Quote Originally Posted by Kbob View Post
    What do ya'll think about a folder in your cell phone with a picture of the reel and the box the line came from and the picture would have the date line was installed?
    ^^^
    This is a Great Idea.
    Thanks
    "SEE YOU AT THE TOP"

17. Member
    My reels get moved from rod to rod quite a bit, so the line labels have to go on the reels, not the rods. Since my collection right now is a collection of brands, I pretty much know what is on each one by just looking, but just in case I forget, I use the label maker, and put it on the bottom of the reel seat. Each label includes the brand, strength, and date it was put on.

Once I have my tournament prep done, I know what rod is for each lure type.

18. Banned
    Last edited by Snickers89; 02-06-2017 at 02:58 PM.

19. Member
    I use all Curado E series reels. All I do is open the access plate on the left of the reel, that exposes the spool, and write in sharpie what line goes on the reel directly on the metal spool itself. Out of sight and takes one second to see what's on the reel. It will never wash off. If you ever change it, just wipe the sharpie off with some alcohol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12