What oil for motor and gas.

This may be a dumb question but I’m going to ask anyway. I just brought my first boat. 2003 skeeter zx225 with the ox66 motor. I know it’s a 2 stroke but my question is. Is the oil for the motor and the oil for the gas the same? I was told to only use yamalube. So I got a gallon of yamalube 2 stroke engine oil. Can I use it to put in the oil tank to mix with the gas as well as use it to change the oil in the motor? There is nothing wrong with the boat or motor but I would like to do my own maintenance if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdogg317 View Post
    change the oil in the motor?
    What Oil are you changing?

The only oil based product you need to change in that motor is the Gear Lube in the lower unit and that is much different than the oil the motor burns in the gas
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Member
    I have the oil for the lower unit also. I forgot about that. But isn’t there an engine oil filter and engine oil that would need to be changed?

so the 2 stroke oil that I brought is for the oil tank that mixes with the gas?

A 2 stroke does not have oil that needs to be changed like a 4 Stroke

This is the Yamaha oil
    https://www.amazon.com/YAMAHA-LUB-2S...305065140&th=1

This is the Yamaha lube
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Yamaha+Ma...ref=nb_sb_noss

Understand you are not required to use Yamaha products there are other options out there and I'm sure a few people will chime in with their opinion
    "The handicapped angler"

5. Member
    Thank you sir, I appreciate your help. This is new to me but I’m starting to figure some things out.

As for annual and regular maintenance beside the gear lube there are a few fuel filters that should be changed as well as an oil strainer and spark plugs

Most of which you might want to have a dealer take care of

And considering the age of the motor you may want to have the water impeller replaced
    "The handicapped angler"

7. Member
    Thanks they changed the water pump and the impeller when I brought the boat. They also changed the hubs on the trailer. The boat and motor are both sound but I will change the fluids, and all the filters at the end of the season here in Indy. I brought the boat from h&w marine in Louisiana and they went through it for me. But there are some things I didn’t know or think to ask.