Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

16 or 17 duramax

Was thinking about pulling the trigger on either one of these. Does anybody have one and could give input on them. I here lots of changes for the 17, but i can get 0 % on the 16. Any help i would be grateful.

Not sure where you are in NC but Hendrick Chevy in Apex has a bunch of 16s on the lot and are taking $9k off the sticker. I think it's only $7k off if you want the 0% financing though. Not sure what all the changes for 17 are but I see they upped the torque to 910.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Member
    445 hp on 2017. I wish I would have known I bought a 2016 in July.

4. Banned
    I'd be after the 2017 F250 diesel. The Chevy's running toward the end of the cycle for the current body style. The F250's are going to look current for another decade, and the reports from owners are extremely positive.

The problem is that few people really use the diesel engine power in any of the light diesel trucks--unless they're contractors or RV'ers. And they're all so costly.

5. Member
    We do the rv thing and a contractor. My cousin owns several dealerships so i have to go chevy or dont show up at the Christmas party. It has to be a chevy, toyota, nissan those are my choices. I have a 03 duramax and has been great so far.

9k off of a leftover 16 doesn't sound that good to me. You should be able to get that on a 17. I have a 15 ram and I was looking at duallys the other day and I found a dealer that had a couple of 16's on the lot and one was a little over 16 grand off and the other was a little over 18 grand off. These trucks that snickered for low 70's and were down to the mid 50's. No experience with this dealer but it's about 3 hours from me. With that said, the Duramax is a nice rig and I don't think the extra power in the 17 would be a deal breaker if I could get a smoking deal on a 16. They all already pull like freight trains.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    9k off of a leftover 16 doesn't sound that good to me. You should be able to get that on a 17. I have a 15 ram and I was looking at duallys the other day and I found a dealer that had a couple of 16's on the lot and one was a little over 16 grand off and the other was a little over 18 grand off. These trucks that snickered for low 70's and were down to the mid 50's. No experience with this dealer but it's about 3 hours from me. With that said, the Duramax is a nice rig and I don't think the extra power in the 17 would be a deal breaker if I could get a smoking deal on a 16. They all already pull like freight trains.
    My 16 Ram sticker for upper 70's and got it for low 60's. I think the OP needs to go to the Christmas party in a Ram and tell his cousin he sales junk.....but that's just me. LOL

8. Member
    He had a ram dealership and sold it, to keep the peace i better not.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
    My 16 Ram sticker for upper 70's and got it for low 60's. I think the OP needs to go to the Christmas party in a Ram and tell his cousin he sales junk.....but that's just me. LOL
    His cousin would tell him not to call him when the wheels fall off his new ram

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw62 View Post
    He had a ram dealership and sold it, to keep the peace i better not.
    Honestly if what you drive causes true family problems other than some friendly rubbin' than you have problems. There is no way in hell i would buy a truck because someone else wants me to.

I agree. I'd tell cousin he is gonna have to cut me one heck of a smoking deal if he wants me to drive a Chevy just because he sells them. Nothing wrong with Chevy but his cousin can beat 9 grand off sticker all day long.

12. Member
    Sounds like a call to your cousin is in order. And looks like you will be tooling
    Around in a new 2017 for dealer cost.
    Mike
    2019 Phoenix 721 pro xp

Mercury 250 pro xs
    2B575862

13. Member
    He has always treated me very fair on all our purchases with him. I have compared his prices many times and he cannot be touched. So getting back to the duramax, test drove one the other day and seamed to be very nice. He says he will order me a 17 with no obligation to buy so i will probably do that. Not married to the duramax by all means but my 03 has been a very solid truck and no complaints on it at all. Looks like toyota does not have a diesal yet and the nissan is butt ugly.

14. Member
    I love GM trucks but when it comes down to buying a new one to be honest it's most likely going to be who ever gives me the best deal. Had dodges in the past and seemed like they wouldn't stand behind the brand. May have just been the dealer, but had 100 bumber to bumbER Warrenty and the clutch went out at 50k anD had to pay for it even though it stated in the contract that it was covered

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1992 View Post
    I love GM trucks but when it comes down to buying a new one to be honest it's most likely going to be who ever gives me the best deal. Had dodges in the past and seemed like they wouldn't stand behind the brand. May have just been the dealer, but had 100 bumber to bumbER Warrenty and the clutch went out at 50k anD had to pay for it even though it stated in the contract that it was covered
    So you are one of those type huh. The clutch is covered from manufactures defects not wear and tear. Clutch is a wear idem. It's the manufactures fault you don't know how to use a clutch? Come on.

16. Member
    So you are one of those type huh. The clutch is covered from manufactures defects not wear and tear. Clutch is a wear idem. It's the manufactures fault you don't know how to use a clutch? Come on.
    The clutch went out on its own with proper use. Before you start blasting some BS without knowing any details when it was an experience that I went through and also had many more problems from the factory that I also had to pay for and we're engine problems. I have driven many standard gas and diesels. It's just a fact that ram didn't stand behind their product.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1992 View Post
    The clutch went out on its own with proper use. Before you start blasting some BS without knowing any details when it was an experience that I went through and also had many more problems from the factory that I also had to pay for and we're engine problems. I have driven many standard gas and diesels. It's just a fact that ram didn't stand behind their product.
    Never had a problem with them standing behind them and i've had them since '99. Js

18. Member
    Never had a problem with them standing behind them and i've had them since '99. Js
    Well i haD 4. A 99, 02, 03, and 05 model dully. And like I said it may have been just that dealer

Cant imagine what an oil change costs on the new Ford 2017 Diesel, Gonna be getting close to $175.

My 2015 F250 costs 125-$150 per oil change. I have given alot of thought about investing in Oil change equipment, like a rolling pan with a pump. But even then it would still cost me $75 in oil.

Nice thing about the Duramax less oil and that means cheaper oil changes, so slightly less am maintenance costs.
    Last edited by BMCD; 12-27-2016 at 03:13 PM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Cant imagine what an oil change costs on the new Ford 2017 Diesel, Gonna be getting close to $175.

My 2015 F250 costs 125-$150 per oil change. I have given alot of thought about investing in Oil change equipment, like a rolling pan with a pump. But even then it would still cost me $75 in oil.

Nice thing about the Duramax less oil and that means cheaper oil changes, so slightly less am maintenance costs.
    Dang, how much oil does your truck hold? I get three gallons at Walmart for 13 bucks a gallon with a Mopar filter and change the oil in my ram for around 50 bucks. Throw in the 5 dollar mail in rebate for each jug of oil and it comes to about 35 dollars and 20 minutes for an oil change every 15,000 miles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast