New Puma Lid Latches

Thinking of purchasing a new Puma STS but in talking to the dealer closest to me they prefer to order their boats with the old style lid latches versus the new style. They claim of the several of the boats they sold with the new style latches have had issues with the latches not working properly and the lids not staying closed as they should. Does anyone have any experience with the new style latches and is it best to stay with the old style tried and true latches?

To date there have been several thousand of the new style “Lift Latch” in operation, with some limited issues. We prefer the New latch and boat owners say they love the function. We knew this move was under a microscope with public, after a previous latch used by a competitor. It also impacted some sales due to the competition’s precious experience, and we’ve heard that frequently.

We also don’t like the other commercial slam latch option in the market, which some use, as the striker roller plate mounts inside the lip and it drains water through the handle into the box. The reason this latch was sought is the existing twist stainless latch method would be unacceptable on your vehicle or your front door.

They made improvements mid 2023 and they’re have been relatively few issues since then. Again, the largest issues are not in the parts, though in the install methods. There were some handle alterations made, otherwise the parts have been good. They also are more difficult for people to tech or understand the operation. We have a full log on every single issue, and install failures today are very minimal. The number was magnified by consumer frustration when they did fail, and we do understand that. And some home spun do-it-yourselfers also amplified those issues.

Offering older twist latches were safe bets for those who prefer the common style, and relieved the obstacle for those fearing change.

So it’s pick your preference today and the ratio favors the lift latch in production.

3. Member
    Bass Cat Boats - thanks for the quick response. Please understand I was not questioning the functionality or quality of the new style latches. I like the design from what I have seen on the internet (have not seen them in person) and would actually like to have them on my boat provided they are not problematic. It just raised some concern when looking at the new Pumas the dealer had on their lot and after some questions it was clear they preferred to order their boats with the old style twist latches because they are tried and true, offer some adjustability and do not have any issues with them. The dealer was very accommodating and stated they would/could order whichever latches I would like.

Do the new style latches offer any type of adjustability to account for lid tightness due to normal wear over time?

Coming out of a Caymas CX21 Pro and it seems Bass Cat is at the top of when it comes to performance, fit/finish, fishability, etc.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    I had a 2023, and they worked great. At the dealership we saw a few of the very first ones that had to be tweaked, but other than that they were great. Mine worked great... and my non boaters/partners seemed to like them better.

Joe

5. Member
    Have not had any issues with mine in my 2023 - one thing I really like is they at least look a lot harder to bust open and the different key style is nice. From experience I know that the old style regular latches keys would sometimes break off in the lock and when locked can very easily be popped open with a screw driver - these don't seem to have as easy an access to even try to pop them open.

6. Member
    If I were ordering a new boat, I would get the new style latches without a second thought. I highly prefer them over the old style. 15 months using them and I have zero complaints.
    2023 Puma STS

7. Member
    i have the new latches and love them.

8. Member
    Another vote for the new style latches. Have had them on my 24 Puma for about 8 months now and have had no issues. No leaks into the boxes and at least appear to be much more secure. Also, no twisted/busted knuckles when I get in a hurry and nothing to trip over. Sort of have trained my hand to close them as soon as the lid starts to open, so just pull the lid back down and get right back to it. On other boats (not BCB's) with the round latches with the swinging arms, it seems I was always having to adjust the arms as the jam nuts would loosen or the arms get bent.

Had mine for a year and half. No problem I love them

10. Member
    having had the old style, which to me means the classic twist and turn, then having a boat with the slam latches (which absolutely leaked), now to having a 22 STS with the slam latches -- by far the slam latches are way better, by a long shot.

I had to adjust one of my 22 Jaguar latches and other than that not a problem and all functioned well. My 24 puma knock on wood has been all good so far, I’d go with them again.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

12. Member
    I have a 2023 Puma STS with the latches and they are GREAT!

13. Member
    no issues with a 2023 or 2024 Puma STS!

Apparently some of their pro staff don't want them. I've noticed Ben Milliken and Trey McKinney have the old style. Ken Smith's new boat doesn't have them either. I'm not sure if the old latches are an option for the common folk or not. I'd trust the proven compression latches to provide me years of use, and dependability, over the new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    Apparently some of their pro staff don't want them. I've noticed Ben Milliken and Trey McKinney have the old style. Ken Smith's new boat doesn't have them either. I'm not sure if the old latches are an option for the common folk or not. I'd trust the proven compression latches to provide me years of use, and dependability, over the new ones.
    They are an option for anyone.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    nice to have choices and get what you want and are paying for isn't it!! try that on almost any other brand
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

17. Member
    Think we spoke at the Valero on Rayburn last Friday. You had asked me how I like the latches. I had mentioned I've had issues with my latches and needs to go back for a few more to be adjusted. My boat is a 2023 but I picked it up August of 2022. So they would have been the latches before the improvement mid 2023.