Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The only negative for the Evinrude's is their dealer network. Hard to find a dealer for service issues.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

2. Member

G2

[QUOTE=TDOSoldier;9411187]Is the Evinrude E-TEC H.O. G2's (225/250) really superior to Mercury and Yamaha...? Would appreciate some input before making my purchase of a newer Bass Boat. Thanks and Godspeed. ><>[/QU
    Running 225 HO G2 , Very quick , 10 year Warranty, had 8 years on last E-tech no issues. No Regrets !

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by e-tec View Post
    The only negative for the Evinrude's is their dealer network. Hard to find a dealer for service issues.
    Must be a highly regional thing, because I see tons of Evinrudes on the Texas Team Trail. Fortunately we have half a dozen good Evinrude shops within driving distance of my home.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Must be a highly regional thing, because I see tons of Evinrudes on the Texas Team Trail. Fortunately we have half a dozen good Evinrude shops within driving distance of my home.
    Here in Central Alabama, we only have two, and only one of them sells bass boats at all. That one sells a lot more Mercurys, because that's what everyone around here wants.

5. Member
    Closest rude shop with the certs to work on g2's is 3 hours from me. I would probably have one if it wasn't for that. No ragrets about going with a sho though

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    if my bad 18 year oil ficht would hurry up and die, I would have one asap!!!!
    Congrats on 18 years man. That’s good life span for any outboard. You got a good one which was rare...

7. Banned
    Must be cause here In Indiana I’ve yet to see the first one..

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Fitch was also supposed to be better. It drove them bankrupt. None if us know the answer and won't for several years, after it has proven, or disproven itself.
    Don't know what the future holds but this could also be true for mercurys new 4 stroke motors, I personally think they will have their share of problems and will not jump on that band wagon for a year or two.....just my opinion

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Well. As of the last few weeks it is the best 2 stroke on the market. The 2 stroke market will die once evinrude sees the light.
    Yamaha and Mercury had to comply with C.A.R.B. regulations, that's why they now have a 4 stroke motor , not because they wanted to, but because they had to. The same will be with Evinrude in a year or two when they have to comply. ….this is the facts, good or bad …..I guess we will see down the road

10. Member
    It is not comply. It is all about the size of the check that they have to write every year to maintain the current standards. The fewer the checks the larger they are. This was and is strategic. Now Rude is holding the ball. They will either pay more or develop new technology. The manufactures pass on their lobbying costs to the consumers, it is a tax.

Quote Originally Posted by jim maloney View Post
    Yamaha and Mercury had to comply with C.A.R.B. regulations, that's why they now have a 4 stroke motor , not because they wanted to, but because they had to. The same will be with Evinrude in a year or two when they have to comply. ….this is the facts, good or bad …..I guess we will see down the road
    Last edited by leo13; 06-07-2018 at 01:15 PM.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leo13 View Post
    It is revolutionary in several ways. Most importantly by having the exhaust ports on the none thrust side of the cylinder. It is a larger displacement two stroke that is relatively clean compared to previous designs. When scaling for potential by design it is actually the largest displacement outboard for our use. Unfortunately the EPA which is 90% a revenue collecting agency will put and end to it. In simple terms companies that produce products have to lobby to keep the current standards. Now that Rude is the outlier they will pay more.
    Not sure how your figure it is the largest displacement outboard the others have much larger displacement. The G1 motors were CARB 3 rated and the G2 is CARB 3 rated.

12. Member
    For our application it is the largest based on potential. Two strokes have a higher specific output per liter then a four stroke. In this style it is about 1.7:1. A 3.4L two stroke is equal to a 5.7L four stroke in potential output. CARB is california air research board it is not an EPA rating. Every state has their own requirements. The EPA basis their requirement on revenue. They raise standards based on income.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Not sure how your figure it is the largest displacement outboard the others have much larger displacement. The G1 motors were CARB 3 rated and the G2 is CARB 3 rated.

13. Member
    Leo, I understand your premise but there is no discrimination of engine type. The law as written doesn't care about 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

In order to get CARB certified the actual engine family must be tested using the worst model. For 2018 here are the results.

We will exclude CO as it is not regulated.

Lowest HC and NOx

Yamaha SHO is lowest
    Rude G2 is 10% higher
    Merc 4.6 Pro XS is 30% higher

These are the test results. If you Toss CO in Evinrude Crushes everyone .
    So Change the standards and Merc 4S will be the issue.

PS if you look up the data you can see Peak torque and RPMs along with peak power and RPM.... It is an interesting bit of info
    Last edited by Trickyrick; 06-08-2018 at 09:00 AM.
    1994 Ranger 392
    1994 200 Johnson Venom Oops not any more
    2017 200ho G2
    The old girl has some serious kick now

14. Member
    The EPA test is indeed for all types, 2 and 4 stroke. The difference is your referring to a state regulation and test method and I'm talking about the federal test by the EPA. The EPA tests at four different engine speeds and I have not seen the results for the different models. One would have to assume a two stroke at idle which is the first speed tested would have a higher HC level then a four stroke. Maybe not, maybe the G2 will be with us for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickyrick View Post
    Leo, I understand your premise but there is no discrimination of engine type. The law as written doesn't care about 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

In order to get CARB certified the actual engine family must be tested using the worst model. For 2018 here are the results.

We will exclude CO as it is not regulated.

Lowest HC and NOx

Yamaha SHO is lowest
    Rude G2 is 10% higher
    Merc 4.6 Pro XS is 30% higher

These are the test results. If you Toss CO in Evinrude Crushes everyone .
    So Change the standards and Merc 4S will be the issue.

PS if you look up the data you can see Peak torque and RPMs along with peak power and RPM.... It is an interesting bit of info

15. TJNYSNP
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Fitch was also supposed to be better. It drove them bankrupt. None if us know the answer and won't for several years, after it has proven, or disproven itself.
    Smart man, well said. Never guy the first version guys that have any budget challenges

16. Member
    The EPA test is indeed for all types, 2 and 4 stroke. The difference is your referring to a state regulation and test method and I'm talking about the federal test by the EPA. The EPA tests at four different engine speeds and I have not seen the results for the different models. One would have to assume a two stroke at idle which is the first speed tested would have a higher HC level then a four stroke. Maybe not, maybe the G2 will be with us for awhile.
    The CARB test is run and weighted at 5 different RPMs and is related to duty cycle. What I'm saying is if the testing is about the same then the 2 stroke can be better than the 4 stroke and contrary to doubters there is nothing to stop the continued production of the G2 that wouldn't also stop the production of existing Mercs and Yammis.

Now will it be less profitable to go from 16.1g to 8g. I do not know but as of now no one can get to 8g.... and 2 of three are under 12g.

So the G2 is hereto stay.
    it is a strong and reliable option. If its strengths match your needs people should give it a look.
    1994 Ranger 392
    2017 200ho G2

17. Member
    The G2 250HO is not the cleanest and will be more difficult to improve compared to the 4 strokes. The EPA will threaten to move the standards up and it will cost the outlier's to keep the current standards.

Here are the test results.

HC+NOx cert/family CO HP/rpm Tq/rpm

G2 14.2/16.0 80.3 246/5500 327.7/4250

SHO 10.4/16.1 220 265/5750 280.3/4500

MercV8 13.3/16.1 66.6 263/4000 304.6/4000

18. Member
    The G2 250HO is not the cleanest and will be more difficult to improve compared to the 4 strokes. The EPA will threaten to move the standards up and it will cost the outlier's to keep the current standards.

Here are the test results.

HC+NOx cert/family CO HP/rpm Tq/rpm

G2 14.2/16.0 80.3 246/5500 327.7/4250

SHO 10.4/16.1 220 265/5750 280.3/4500

MercV8 13.3/16.1 66.6 263/4000 304.6/4000

You got most of the data correct but you picked the wrong evinrude The 250 is 11.92

You have to be fair and compare Apple to Apples...
    1994 Ranger 392
    2017 200ho G2

19. Member
    The 250 HO is the most equivalent to the 250 SHO and 250 Proxs. Your looking at the 200 & 225hp. Click on the executive order # and scroll to the second page and lists the hp with the hp&tq.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickyrick View Post
    You got most of the data correct but you picked the wrong evinrude The 250 is 11.92

You have to be fair and compare Apple to Apples...

20. Member
    Yes and you picked the 300 rave and you torque numbers n rpms are incorrect.
    1994 Ranger 392
    2017 200ho G2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast