Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Smile Truck Option...Ram, GMC, Ford

Hey guys, I知 looking for a new truck. Went and looked at a Ram, GMC, and Ford today. I tow my 521L Ranger about 250 miles every week and then drive another 250 miles a week not towing. Looking for something that gets good MPG and tows great and is under $50k. I really like the Ram, but not sure how the Hemi tows compared to an Ecoboost which my dad has. His Ford ecoboost tows great. For the GMC I知 only considering the 3.0L diesel or the 6.2L. I currently drive a 2010 GMC with a 5.3L and hate the way it tows. Anyway, I know that痴 a ton of options, but looking for opinions from guys that have looked into the same trucks. What did you decide? Why? And are you happy with your purchase?

2. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    F150 3.5 ecoboost all day every day... nuthin in it's class pulls like it... on my 2nd one and happy as a lark with both...

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

3. Member
    Had an older Hemi Ram that towed great, but drank the gas. I’m sure the newer ones get better mileage. I currently have a F150 2.7 Ecoboost and it tows better than anything I’ve ever had and gets 20 mpg without the boat.

4. Member
    When i bought in 2019 i looked at everything on the market and went with the Ram. I ruled the GM out pretty early for a much of reasons, biggest being the seats that make my legs go numb ( part of the reason i dumped it post back surgery #2) and the gearing options available. I was also majorly unimpressed with the reliability of that Chevy, it was a turd and a money pit. That truck was in the shop all the time and that made it real hard to buy another despite being a "Chevy guy". On the Ram I loved the interior far better than anything else out there, that and the ride are what put me in it. Towing performance wise i don't think there is a truck on the market that you cannot configure to tow really well especially compared to where we were a couple decades ago.

My 2019 Ram Hemi has the 8 speed and 3.92 gears. In my opinion its the best truck i have ever towed with even better than my last Chevy with a 6.2 which pulled well. The gearing matched with the 8 speed trans is awesome and the air suspension takes control and how it feels with a load to another level entirely. Fuel economy wise it is not any different than my Chevy was, i get ~18 combined unloaded and 13 ish towing. It is also a super comfortable place to spend time if you put a lot of miles on. We never and i mean never take my wifes SUV unless its a local short trip. Anything over 20 miles we take the truck since its so much more comfortable than her Acura is.
    Last edited by jb882; 11-14-2020 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    When i bought in 2019 i looked at everything on the market and went with the Ram. I ruled the GM out pretty early for a much of reasons, biggest being the seats that make my legs go numb ( part of the reason i dumped it post back surgery #2) and the gearing options available. I was also majorly unimpressed with the reliability of that Chevy, it was a turd and a money pit. That truck was in the shop all the time and that made it real hard to buy another despite being a "Chevy guy". On the Ram I loved the interior far better than anything else out there, that and the ride are what put me in it. Towing performance wise i don't think there is a truck on the market that you cannot configure to tow really well especially compared to where we were a couple decades ago.

My 2019 Ram Hemi has the 8 speed and 3.92 gears. In my opinion its the best truck i have ever towed with even better than my last Chevy with a 6.2 which pulled well. The gearing matched with the 8 speed trans is awesome and the air suspension takes control and how it feels with a load to another level entirely. Fuel economy wise it is not any different than my Chevy was, i get ~18 combined unloaded and 13 ish towing. It is also a super comfortable place to spend time if you put a lot of miles on. We never and i mean never take my wifes SUV unless its a local short trip. Anything over 20 miles we take the truck since its so much more comfortable than her Acura is.
    ^^^^^^^ This. My Ram is the best truck I've ever owned. Tows with plenty of power. Fuel mileage is great for a truck. Average mpg is around 18 non towing and around 15 towing. But I have hills and stuff. You will not find a better driving or built truck.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

For all the talk about towing one thing to keep in mind is this...you’re driving 500 miles a week. That’s a fair amount of time in the vehicle so it needs to be comfortable as well. And it’s been widely reported that Ram leads that category now. Have fun shopping!

Based on the options given buy the OP then I say the Chevy with the 6.2. Forget your experience with the 5.3 because the 6.2 is a beast compared to the 5.3

8. #FRB
    Ram all day every day. They seem to be pretty reliable and I fully believe the ride and interior comfort is what seals the deal for most. There's a reason people are converting over to them after going decades avoiding them like the plague. Ram has come so far over the past 10 years it's unreal.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Based on the options given buy the OP then I say the Chevy with the 6.2. Forget your experience with the 5.3 because the 6.2 is a beast compared to the 5.3
    This.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

10. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    Ironically just bought a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie Night today. Have owned every truck out there (with the exception of the eco-boost so can稚 speak about that) but I知 on my third Ram and for a loyal GM guy for a long time, these new Rams are awesome. My 2018 Ram was averaging 17-18mph over the last 3 years but my MPG is effected by the remote start which I used a lot during the winter. I did own an F150 but was the 8cyl and not the eco boost. The one thing I will say is the ride and the comfort and ride of the Ram in awesome.
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

11. Member
    I’m partial to the 6.2, but go test drive them all! We won’t be able to decide which is the most comfortable for you or has the features that you want.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

12. Member
    On my second RAM, about to buy my third. Been driving company vehicles in the oil and gas industry since 1981, I get a new truck every two or three years since then .....these RAM pick ups are the best I’ve ever had. Plenty of power, super comfortable and super quiet, and all I’ve done to any of them is change oil, tires and put in gas.

I have a 2018 F150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost, 3.55 gears, and 10 speed transmission. I tow a 28’ camper, Triton Tr19, and a John Deere tractor with bush hog, PTO tiller, and disk. My truck is leveled on 10 ply 33x11.5/20 tires. I still get 19.5 mpg daily driving, and 16.5 towing my boat. I recently had Brew City Boost tune my truck. With their 93 octane tune, it’s a beast on the road. Their tow tune is very impressive, and a beast towing my boat. If I need more power than I have now, I will go 3/4 ton diesel.
    2021 Skeeter Zx225
    2021 Yamaha 225 SHO
    Ultrex 112# w/ Ipilot
    Helix 12 Mega+SI
    Helix 9 Mega+ SI
    Helix 9 Mega+ DI
    Helix 9 Chirp/GPS
    Garmin 1222 w/ LSV32
    Ionic Lithium

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    This, i have had a couple 5.3 and had all kinds problems with transmissions. This 2019 GMC 6.2 with a 10 speed is a beast pulling a 520, absolutely love the power it has, no jumping in and out of passing gear on a slight hill!! It gets great mileage driving solo and 16 to 18 pulling a boat. It really picked up better mileage after i hit the 9200 mile mark, huge difference with what i got. Unfortunaly i had already sold my boat when it hit the 9200 mile mark but i really believe i could have gotten 18 pulling if i had keep my boat. I have the Denali GMC 1500 crew cab, ride is absolutely unreal good!!

15. Member
    Hemi pulls great, drinks gas as said before
    Ford 5.0 is the best motor in the trucks. I love forced induction, Ecoboosts are generally "good" but the 5.0 is better.
    If I got a GM product it would have to have the 6.2L, usually that means and expensive ass truck.

I have a 5.7 hemi, nowhere near new. My Mustang has a 5.0 Coyote, be prepared on oil changes, the gen 3 takes 10 quarts of oil...

16. Member
    I壇 say based on all of the above posts, the big three have got their act together regarding trucks these days. I drive a 2020 Platinum F150 5.0 myself. It boiled down to creature comforts and what appealed to me. They all tow well. Whether you pick a Ram, Ford or GM go for what tickles your fancy. You値l do ok.

17. Member
    dont think you will find a GMC with a 6.2 for 50k in a new truck

18. Banned
    GM with the 6.2 hands down.

19. Member
    Ecoboost 3.5 is best on the market right now.

20. Member
    I had a 2012 gmc, like your 2010, it was a dog pulling anything.
    I have a 2019 now with 5.3, get 24mpg unloaded,and 13.5-14 mpg pulling 21 ft triton. It pulls great with plenty of passing power
    Last edited by nowakezone; 11-15-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast