Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Why does everyone hate nitro?

Looking at a new Z20 guys and all my buddys that fish with say nitros are $hi* but when I ask why they just reply they just are and they break all the time. Anyone here give me an honest opinion?

I just had a 2015 Z9 in my shop installing Bluewater nav lights. I smoked the boat over really good and couldn't find anything really wrong with it. In fact for the money I thought it was nice.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    I have an older nitro and love it. They get a bad rep because they are a production line boat and priced for the working man. Nothing wrong with nitros at all and have friends who were die hard ranger fan boys who rode in 2017 z20s and said they were the best riding boat they've been in. Because they are a production line boat, attention to detail isn't as great.

Think of it as the nickleback band of boats. Everyone loves to hate on them because "it's cool to do so".
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    ride not the worst but close

Price too high "when you put options on Nitro's that are standard on most boats"

Fit and fish is very low grade for the price

Live wells last I knew used control valves that fail often

Can only run a Mercury

put it this way if Nitro isn't the worst bass boat what is?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post

Price too high "when you put options on Nitro's that are standard on most boats"

Can only run a Mercury

Theres only one thing in this post that is accurate and that is you can only get a Mercury on them.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post

Can only run a Mercury

What do you have?

7. Member
    Ya I can get A demo nitro z20 (pro package) with the 250 and two 10' talons an ultrex 36v two humminbird helix 9's for 45k out the door i thought that was a good price

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    I have an older nitro and love it. They get a bad rep because they are a production line boat and priced for the working man. Nothing wrong with nitros at all and have friends who were die hard ranger fan boys who rode in 2017 z20s and said they were the best riding boat they've been in. Because they are a production line boat, attention to detail isn't as great.

Think of it as the nickleback band of boats. Everyone loves to hate on them because "it's cool to do so".
    That actually makes a lot of sense I looked them over really well and thought they were nice the only thing I did not like was that they done have removable panels where the graphs mount its all part of the counsole and one unit

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Ya I can get A demo nitro z20 (pro package) with the 250 and two 10' talons an ultrex 36v two humminbird helix 9's for 45k out the door i thought that was a good price
    That sounds like a damn good price even for a demo. If you like it I'd say get it. Unless your friends are paying for your boat, who gives a shit what they say about them.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    That sounds like a damn good price even for a demo. If you like it I'd say get it. Unless your friends are paying for your boat, who gives a shit what they say about them.
    Ya thats what I thought!!!

11. Member
    I have rode in a Z9, if you cherish your family jewels, where a cup !!!!!

12. Member
    I always just looked at their resale value compared to comparable boats they just didn't hold their value like others did. Don't know if that holds true still today or not.

13. Member
    I just sold my Nitro and went to a Skeeter. Night and day better built boat. Aluminum reinforced transom vs a thin wood core on the old Nitro. Hull design is far better on the bug too. The thickness of the carpet and vynil is better on the bug....it will last longer. The thickness of the windshield is better on the Skeeter.

I, honestly, am surprised that a Nitro doesn't resemble a basketball, since they have cut every corner possible to keep costs down.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DAC244 View Post
    I always just looked at their resale value compared to comparable boats they just didn't hold their value like others did. Don't know if that holds true still today or not.
    Makes sense that they won't have as much resale value, but if the initial price is cheap enough it should all be relative.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen View Post
    I just sold my Nitro and went to a Skeeter. Night and day better built boat. Aluminum reinforced transom vs a thin wood core on the old Nitro. Hull design is far better on the bug too. The thickness of the carpet and vynil is better on the bug....it will last longer. The thickness of the windshield is better on the Skeeter.

I, honestly, am surprised that a Nitro doesn't resemble a basketball, since they have cut every corner possible to keep costs down.
    What year was your nitro? What year is the skeeter that replaced it?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    Theres only one thing in this post that is accurate and that is you can only get a Mercury on them.
    Actually you can pay to have any motor put on it that a dealer supports. Same with Skeeter/Yamaha Combos. It is just not a wise investment. So even that wasn't true

18. Dogfish_Jones
    I don't hate mine, had it for over 2 years and still love it every time I get in it.

19. Member
    12 years on my 188 Nitro Sport. No complaints at all. Used 4x per week last 4 years and it runs better with use. I guess I do have one complaint as the bilge area is almost impossible to get at. Newer models have an additional access hatch. Its a Ford/Chevy/Dodge but thats not all bad. If I was buying another Nitro, I would buy from a dealer rather than BP as options/upgrades are a pain through the factory. JMO

20. Member
    Here's my 2 cents, 1999 nitro NX882. Always garaged kept! I love my boat and it's paid for. I spend my time fine tuning my techniques not my boat, too many people like to sit in their garage and stare at their boat and figure out what else they can buy for it to upgrade! I bought my boat to fish and enjoy time on the water away from work. Lots of 1 uppers out there! Buy what you like and enjoy it cus time flies by way too fast!!
    Last edited by oli3665; 08-17-2017 at 10:49 PM.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast