Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving up north... CT or MA?

Hi guys. It looks like a transfer may be possible for me. I would be working in the Windsor Locks area. I'm trying to sort out which fits my lifestyle better, but have a few questions.
    1. As a boatowner, better to register CT or MA?
    2. Does either state charge "property tax" on vehicles and boats each year?
    3. Are licenses and registrations "reciprocal " with the other states nearby, ie CT/NY/MA/VT/NH/ME? Or do I have to get a license for each state? What about boat certifications?

Man, y'all have it complicated compared to Florida, lol.

2. Member
    Excise tax in Ma yearly. Registration every two yrs( which requires a title). Reg is reciprocal between states. Fishing licenses are not. If your a gun owner, well, good friggin luck. Ma laws are nearly as bad as CA. I cannot speak for CT. Good luck

3. Member
    What is an excise tax?

4. Member
    A useless way to take more of your money. My 1988 Bass Tracker is valued by the town at $1000. I pay 6.25% excise on $1000 every yr. after I paid sales tax of course. His democratic state taxes every friggin thing you can imagine. I hear CT isn’t far off, but again, I do not know first hand.

5. Member
    Not every town charges excise on boats, some do and some dont. I live in Holliston and never once paid excise on my boats. The trailer yes but never the boat itself. The excise tax rate here is $25 per thousand not a percentage like sales tax. My trailer they valued cheap enough that the excise was $5 a year.

To the OP, you are headed in the wrong direction buddy. Stay in FL if you can. There are literally no redeeming quality's about living up here any more which is why i'm relocating down south.... AKA free America... Life long new englander but wanting to get out...

6. Member
    Connecticut:
    No yearly property tax on boats, just on the vehicle and trailer.
    Note: when you register your trailer, make sure you specify "BOAT" trailer, the tax is cheaper.

Fishing licenses are around 35 bucks a year, FREE after age 65

You need a license for each state.

No special boating certificate for CT.
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

7. Member
    Thanks guys for all the info!

8. Member
    I know it's going to be a big adjustment for a Florida guy. But yall have beautiful landscapes and in my many travels up to New England I have found y'all quite friendly. I'm only moving there full time for 5 years or so, then I'll be snowbirding it in retirement.

9. Member
    Plus, my German wife hates Florida from May until January. Happy wife; happy life...

10. Member
    Good luck either state. Plenty of fishing up here and certainly nice country in central and western MA. The Cape is my bad, but so much busier than it used to be. Derbies and tournaments just about everywhere nearly every weekend. Just bring some of those FL Bass genetics with you.

11. Member
    I have lived in both states. Vehicle taxes are much less in Mass, your boat is not taxed in either state, just trailer. You need to get separate fishing licenses for each state. I live in CT, but do most of my fishing in Mass.

12. Member
    Mass boat excise on boats 16' and up. It's relatively cheap.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

I'd worry more about house taxes than vehicle excise tax in either state

2009 ELITE 210

14. Member
    You guys are great with info. Thank you. I'm looking from New Hartford over to Torrington up to Pittsfield east to Amherst.

Step son works in Widsor Locks, lives in East Windsor, farms around his house, nice area.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlewis__1 View Post
    What is an excise tax?
    IN Mass, It's a "luxury" tax, basically they tax anything that is not a necessity, motor vehicles, boats RV's, etc. Although a vehicle has been a necessity for a long time now. As jb882 says, not every town charges excise on boats. The reason for that is, the minimum is $5 in Mass and some towns have a lot of older boats that are taxed at $5, but it is more costly for the town to charge excise. I know this because they did not have it where I lived in Mass. The cost was more than the income.

I think if you do some research, you will find Mass less costly overall. You also have to look at the CT State tax requirement if you live in Mass or vice versa.
    As for housing, Mass in that area will be much less expensive than CT including the property taxes, I believe.

As far as firearms go, I think CT is close to Mass as far as laws go. Restricitons in Mass are stupid. Period.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Jlewis__1 View Post
    You guys are great with info. Thank you. I'm looking from New Hartford over to Torrington up to Pittsfield east to Amherst.
    If you're looking as far out as Pittsfield I think you will be happy out that way. Great Barrington, Sheffield, Otis. Very nice areas.

18. Member
    Hi there. I grew up in WMass and now I live 2 miles over the border in Suffield CT. My wife is a teacher in Windsor Locks and I work in South Windsor. I wouldn’t consider Pittsfield area too much as that would not be a great commute especially in the winter. Every state will require a fishing license and 1 day or 3 day licenses are available if just a short outing. I’d be happy to answer any questions about certain towns and what they could offer based upon what you and your family are looking for. Feel free to private message me and good luck.

19. Member
    Go to NH , I know nothing about Conn but forget Mass ! Sales tax , income tax, property tax , excise tax, meals tax, tax on booze , some towns have local tax at restaurants , state taxes if you sell your house, now citys are looking at a sales tax on your house when you sell , do yourself a favor skip Mass.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by av View Post
    Go to NH , I know nothing about Conn but forget Mass ! Sales tax , income tax, property tax , excise tax, meals tax, tax on booze , some towns have local tax at restaurants , state taxes if you sell your house, now citys are looking at a sales tax on your house when you sell , do yourself a favor skip Mass.
    I don't think he wants to drive a minimum of 70 miles to go to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast