Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smartcraft Mercmonitor SC1000 & Trim sender

Hello everyone, my name is Osvaldo and live in Uruguay.
    I need help with the trim sender in the smartcraft. I bought a Mercury 90hp four stroke outboard Model 1F904132D serial number 3B088668, they installed the SC1000 on me and I can't calibrate and read the trim on the mercmonitor. What am I missing?

Thank you
    Best regards
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Oswald; 03-16-2024 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Wrong photos

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You either need a Digital Trim Sender, OR the Analog to Digital Converter and Limit Kit. See the response to your email (avoids having to type all the info twice).

Welcome to BBC!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You either need a Digital Trim Sender, OR the Analog to Digital Converter and Limit Kit. See the response to your email (avoids having to type all the info twice).

Welcome to BBC!
    Thank you very much!!
    Best regards

4. Member

Welcome to BBC!
    OK thank you very much!
    And now… to install an A2D kit is it necessary to remove the Vesselview mobile link or do the 2 things connect?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No need to remove the Vessel View Mobile OR Vessel View LINK (two separate items). Simply install the A2D kit as per the instructions.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Sorry Don, today I removed the sender and it wasn't the one I thought. The one that has my motor installed is the one in the photo and it would seem that it is the digital one. The truth is I don't know where the problem could be that my Smartcraft does not calibrate or show the reading. That could be happening? Thank you very much!! best regards
    20221110_154000.jpg20221110_154012.jpg20221110_154851.jpgMercmonitorSC1000.jpg

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Apparently the picture you posted earlier wasn't YOUR sending unit. Sorry- relied on the info you provided.

Since you already have a digital sender, you do not need anything for the trim to be able to read DIGITAL trim (any Smartcraft Instrument can be set up for Digital Trim).

Now that I look more carefully- I see your System Monitor Picture is a copy from another website (and branded with their name). Please avoid that as that image belongs to that site.

8. Member
    oops! Sorry about the image, I just took it from the internet to show you which was my boat instrument.
    There is something that would not be working, since all the readings the smartcraft shows correctly, such as hours, gasoline consumption, oil pressure... I don't understand what is happening then. Thanks Don and sorry again for the picture.
    Best regards and tks for the assistance!!

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You may need to go in and set up the Trim Calibration in the System Monitor (also make sure it's turned on).

10. Member
    You may need to go in and set up the Trim Calibration in the System Monitor (also make sure it's turned on).
    Hello, Don!
    I had abandoned the topic without having achieved the trim reading on my Smartcraft System Monitor. Now I'm coming back to the topic and what I see under my center console is that the gauge Monitor is connected directly to the harness WITHOUT going through a "Junction box"! Could it have something to do with it? What would be the Junction Box part number to purchase for my engine? Thank you so much!
    Best regards

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That will not prevent "only trim" from functioning. If it weren't connected correctly you would have none of your pertinent engine data.

System Monitor can be installed with no junction box or adapter (if connected to a BLUE data harness, yellow bands at each end).

12. Member
    That will not prevent "only trim" from functioning. If it weren't connected correctly you would have none of your pertinent engine data.

System Monitor can be installed with no junction box or adapter (if connected to a BLUE data harness, yellow bands at each end).
    Thanks Don, I was hoping it was just the lack of a Junction Box. The truth is that this has me exhausted, but I don't want to give up. Somewhere I read that my trim sender 8M0083396 is analogous so I bought and installed the A2D kit 8M0087542 here in my country and after installing the trim it worked correctly as well as the limit, but not the system monitor that does not turn on, only during half a second when turning the switch to ON it shows "4.00" and turns off. So I uninstalled it. This afternoon I will go to my boat, take photos or video to show you how the System Monitor is connected. I haven't seen that blue data harness.
    Tks!
    Best regards.
    Last edited by Oswald; 03-19-2024 at 06:08 PM.

13. Member

Hi Don! Today I took photos of the Samrcraft Monitor connections. I disconnected the entire harness to show you better. The trim sensor on the Engine is 8M0083396 like the one in the photo. I attach photos and you can tell me what is missing since the blue harness is not there. Thanks greetings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to see where you have the other end of that System Monitor harness plugged in.

Trim sender appears normal.

Third picture has Neutral Position Switch and likely Lanyard wiring that connects to the shift control and lanyard switches.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 03-22-2024 at 11:04 AM.

15. Member
    Hi Don, tks for reply me.

Need to see where you have the other end of that System Link harness plugged in.

Comes directly from the main engine harness.

Tks! Best regards

20240320_161650.jpg
    Last edited by Oswald; 03-20-2024 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Attach photos

16. Member
    Hi Don! Today I went to my boat to test the System Monitor by connecting a harness with a male adapter that I had in a box that the dealer gave me when he installed the engine. With that harness communication has been completely lost, the monitor does not even turn on when you put the Switch key to ON. I attached a photo. Very grateful for your help
    Regards
    20240320_163749.jpg

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oswald View Post
    Hi Don! Today I went to my boat to test the System Monitor by connecting a harness with a male adapter that I had in a box that the dealer gave me when he installed the engine. With that harness communication has been completely lost, the monitor does not even turn on when you put the Switch key to ON. I attached a photo. Very grateful for your help
    Regards
    20240320_163749.jpg
    The addition of a Junction Adapter did not affect you being able to start the engine. Either it's not in neutral, the keyswitch is not connected, neutral safety wiring is disconnected, obviously lanyard not connected, or some other problem.

What you have unhooked and reconnected is a DISPLAY or INSTRUMENTATION connection only.

Note: The picture above appears to have the System Monitor's harness BACKWARDS (make sure gauge end is at the gauge, junction box end is at the junction adapter).

Make sure you have a terminating resistor on the engine-end of the system, also.

18. Member
    The addition of a Junction Adapter did not affect you being able to start the engine. Either it's not in neutral, the keyswitch is not connected, neutral safety wiring is disconnected, obviously lanyard not connected, or some other problem.

What you have unhooked and reconnected is a DISPLAY or INSTRUMENTATION connection only.

Note: The picture above appears to have the System Monitor's harness BACKWARDS (make sure gauge end is at the gauge, junction box end is at the junction adapter).

Make sure you have a terminating resistor on the engine-end of the system, also.
    Hi Don,
    The System Monitor harness is correct, end labeled "gauge" is on the gauge monitor and the side labeled "Junction box" is on the male adapter. Yes, yellow resistor is in the engine. Could it be that the black wire ("Ground vessel) of the System Monitor harness is not connected? Where is it connected? Lanyard harness Switch, one open and one closed, is it correct? Why did they not place the switch. It would only remain to think that the 8M0083396 sender is not digital
    Thank you Don
    Best regards

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ground wire goes to any good battery ground under the console. Only affects the System Monitor (specifically it's 12V ground).

That appears to be the factory sending unit (see Post #2 above) that is ANALOG.

20. Member
    Ground wire goes to any good battery ground under the console. Only affects the System Monitor (specifically it's 12V ground).

That appears to be the factory sending unit (see Post #2 above) that is ANALOG.

Yes!!

Hi Don,
    Thanks to your help I was able to solve the problem I had with the Smartcraft monitor.
    Definitely the sender "8M0083396" (see photos post #6 of this thread) is NOT a digital sender. The issue was resolved by installing the A2D kit "8M0087542" and that at the shipyard they had not connected the black wire from the monitor to negative and since the monitor did not turn on, it was not connected to the monitor harness, it was directly to the engine harness.
    In summary:
    1) Install monitor harness to engine harness using male adapter.
    2) Connect black wire to negative 12v at the console terminal block.
    3) Install the A2D converter kit 8M0087542.

Thank you very much for your help
    Happy Easter to you and the entire community of this forum!
    Last edited by Oswald; 03-24-2024 at 07:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast