Ranger 518 VS Recessed Trolling Motor

Hello all I was browsing around and ran across this forum so decided to join in! Hope 2017 brings a good fishing season to everyone!!

I recently down sized from a Puma FTD to a Ranger 518 and I'm already missing the recessed trolling motor control. Just wondering if anyone has installed one on this particular model? Looks like the middle compartment goes way up but I haven't looked it over yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Its a 2000 model.

Thanks

I'm sure it's been done many times. Check out the Ranger boards - they're very active and I'd be willing to bet someone there has already written up a tutorial for your exact boat.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

I have a 2000 R91 and I installed a recess trolling motor tray with no problems. You might want to post this in the Ranger forum.

4. Member
    Thanks guys. I'll check the Ranger board

5. Member
    I installed one in my 2000 518VX. I used a comfort troll and love it. Welcome to the boards!!
    2019 Phoenix 721 ProXp
    2019-250 H.P. Mercury ProXs 4 Stroke V8 Serial# 2B531797

6. Member
    I installed one on my 2002 518vx. You will have to cut some of the front compartment out, but you cannot tell when you open the lid, just be careful when you do you will find the wires for your compartment light there. The use of a dremmel made it a lot easier when installing.

7. Member
    Thanks guys! I'm definitely going to look into it here pretty soon.

Does it it weaken the deck any or is it still good and solid?

8. Member
    Mine is still solid. Lots of foam and i mean lots.
    2019 Phoenix 721 ProXp
    2019-250 H.P. Mercury ProXs 4 Stroke V8 Serial# 2B531797

Quote Originally Posted by skeel View Post
    I installed one on my 2002 518vx. You will have to cut some of the front compartment out, but you cannot tell when you open the lid, just be careful when you do you will find the wires for your compartment light there. The use of a dremmel made it a lot easier when installing.
    What Skeel said. It can be done. Worst part is removing all the foam.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeel View Post
    Is the wires easily seen so I can avoid cutting them? Are they ran I a tube or something?

11. Member
    If I remember right there is a half tube that runs under the middle of the deck. If you did happen to cut it, it's only two wires and can easily be stripped and butt connected back together.