Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a huge Elon fan, follow him on twitter. I have made some serious cash in the stock market because of Elon. If you think he manipulates the stock market, he pales in comparison to MM's and the institutional firms.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

2. Banned
    Yeah there’s a loooooong list of people in the financial sector that deserve jail before Elon.

Dude pushes boundaries and we’re better because of it.

Tanked pretty good right now i got 10 shares and jan 25 it was $880 share this morning it was $599.
    Quote Originally Posted by st041986 View Post
    Good. I've been waiting for things to tank a bit so I can dump some $$$ in to it.....

Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Do you not exploit every tax advantage you can when doing your taxes? or do prefer to pay more than you need to.

Since you live in Texas, maybe you have some insider knowledge on the situation. Tesla is building the worlds largest manufacturing plant in Texas, to build American cars and trucks. Can't be said about Ford and GM who are building and investing billions in Mexico. But how or what is Tesla doing in Texas that is so negative? How are they exploiting local governments?
    I can assure you I do, as do you.

He's building the world's largest government subsidized vehicle plant....There I fixed it for you.

My gripe isn't with Tesla.its with Elon himself (reread my post..) and most of it stems from the whole solar city debacle and the shit they pulled in the hawaii/california market then bailed when the "gig was up." Then "buying" SC and rebranding it under Tesla solar..all while most of the board of Tesla was already knee deep in it (shares and management wise), and the magician known as Elon Musk had a significant position in the failing company... Elon is a very smart guy...I'll give him that...still a self dealing con man with the ability to sell snow to an eskimo and cow pies to a cattle farmer. I would never buy anything from him. The guy 100% knows he's swinging markets with his comments, posts etc. Would love to see the SEC nail him one day.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimcoll...h=66498c1d48ec

https://www.fastcompany.com/40422076...on-the-planets

5. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bass Junkie View Post

He's building the world's largest government subsidized vehicle plant....There I fixed it for you.

My gripe isn't with Tesla.its with Elon himself (reread my post..) and most of it stems from the whole solar city debacle and the shit they pulled in the hawaii/california market then bailed when the "gig was up." Then "buying" SC and rebranding it under Tesla solar..all while most of the board of Tesla was already knee deep in it (shares and management wise), and the magician known as Elon Musk had a significant position in the failing company... Elon is a very smart guy...I'll give him that...still a self dealing con man with the ability to sell snow to an eskimo and cow pies to a cattle farmer. I would never buy anything from him. The guy 100% knows he's swinging markets with his comments, posts etc. Would love to see the SEC nail him one day.

But what manufacturing plant in the world isn't getting some form of a subsidy from local or federal govt? Thats how States attract business. Thats how countries attract business. There's a reason why everyone is moving to Texas. Taxes, location, and friendly business environment. Any major corporation goes shopping around every state and country to see who will give them the most benefit for bringing jobs there. And I would rather a corporation get some benefits for building products in America rather than going to Mexico for cheap labor and lax regulations. Cheap labor isn't the only reason Ford and GM spend billions there.

I'm not familiar with the Solar City debacle, I wasn't following it back then. But if it was a failing company, should he not avoid bankruptcy. The board has a duty to shareholders first and foremost. Just like every other company in the world with shareholders. Not sure I see the problem with the Solar City acquisition and neither does shareholders, and if they did, they sold. The people who are most upset with Musk are short sellers like Chanos. They got burned and continue to get burned.
    Thanos was the hero

But what manufacturing plant in the world isn't getting some form of a subsidy from local or federal govt? Thats how States attract business. Thats how countries attract business. There's a reason why everyone is moving to Texas. Taxes, location, and friendly business environment. Any major corporation goes shopping around every state and country to see who will give them the most benefit for bringing jobs there. And I would rather a corporation get some benefits for building products in America rather than going to Mexico for cheap labor and lax regulations. Cheap labor isn't the only reason Ford and GM spend billions there.

I'm not familiar with the Solar City debacle, I wasn't following it back then. But if it was a failing company, should he not avoid bankruptcy. The board has a duty to shareholders first and foremost. Just like every other company in the world with shareholders. Not sure I see the problem with the Solar City acquisition and neither does shareholders, and if they did, they sold. The people who are most upset with Musk are short sellers like Chanos. They got burned and continue to get burned.
    I'm not talking about subsidies for the plant... I'm well aware of why people move to TX..and im well aware of how grants, tax incentives etc work. I don't have any issues with those. If you go buy a Tesla vs lets say another US made car that is not electric...one of them is incentivized by $7k of government money, while the other is not..same reason the ITC on solar should have been allowed to sunset as originally legislated. That $7k is keeping prices artificially inflated...just like the ITC did/does with solar, as did local subsidies when they existed...pricing dropped significantly when they started to go away.

Do some reading on it...the solar city deal screwed a lot of people...from customers, to employees, etc..He was bailing out himself, his cousins, and his friends. It burned a lot of people, and a lot of people don't like him as a person over it, he would sell his soul to make a buck..again I don't like him personally...I have nothing against Tesla itself.

7. Member

Do some reading on it...the solar city deal screwed a lot of people...from customers, to employees, etc..He was bailing out himself, his cousins, and his friends. It burned a lot of people, and a lot of people don't like him as a person over it, he would sell his soul to make a buck..again I don't like him personally...I have nothing against Tesla itself.

That is interesting. Sounds very similar to the Mcmoran/Freeport McMoran/Plains exploration deal back in 2012.

8. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I'm not talking about subsidies for the plant... I'm well aware of why people move to TX..and im well aware of how grants, tax incentives etc work. I don't have any issues with those. If you go buy a Tesla vs lets say another US made car that is not electric...one of them is incentivized by $7k of government money, while the other is not..same reason the ITC on solar should have been allowed to sunset as originally legislated. That $7k is keeping prices artificially inflated...just like the ITC did/does with solar, as did local subsidies when they existed...pricing dropped significantly when they started to go away.

The 7K govt incentive ran out for Tesla and GM. They reached the limit. But other car manufacturers are still eligible for it. The Ford Mach E gets it, the Rivian gets it , the Volkswagen gets it they all do. But we get tax incentives for everything that is "better" for the environment. From Energy star rated appliances to geo thermal. And lets not forget that about the big bail out for the auto manufactures that where on the verge of bankruptcy. That was a pretty big gov't subsidy. Tesla didn't get bailed out. Shareholders bailed them out. GM got gov't money to avoid bankruptcy, got the 7K gov't incentive for the Bolt, and still spends billions in Mexico to build and employ workers in Mexico. Tesla is spending billions in America creating jobs in America.

The little bit of reading about Solar City, it sounds like a billionaire bailed out his cousins company. I mean, if I had a billion dollars to spare and a friend or family member needed help, I would bail them out to. Billionaires do things we can't. Should Solar City have filed bankruptcy and screwed everyone? SHould the gov't had bailed them out like car companies or the airlines?
    Thanos was the hero

9. Member
    I come from a different point of view because I am a supplier to Tesla and to Tesla Solar. Doing business with one of Elon Musk owned companies (2 in this case) is extremely challenging. I won't get into specifics but will state an old saying that applies in more ways than I can say here, it goes like this;
    "A lack of planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on mine"
    Having said that and based on my experience as a supplier I would never own one of their cars

The little bit of reading about Solar City, it sounds like a billionaire bailed out his cousins company. I mean, if I had a billion dollars to spare and a friend or family member needed help, I would bail them out to. Billionaires do things we can't. Should Solar City have filed bankruptcy and screwed everyone? SHould the gov't had bailed them out like car companies or the airlines?
    People did get screwed...and yes they should have filed. Instead it was a slight of hand... You are obviously an Elon fan boy...and thats fine...I would never buy anything from him, and thats fine too. Best of luck with your investments...

11. Member
    Elon did this for a completely different reason feel free to run down the rabbit hole on hedge funds and crypto as of late as well as noting the fact he did NOT sell his position in BTC at this time. There is a bigger game afoot and if it comes to fruition I will gladly come back to this post.

12. Member
    Or maybe, better yet, the market shouldn't be swinging based off what one guy flippantly says. On a comedy show no less. Just shows that item has no structure nor stability.

13. Member

How's the market swinging based on his comments his problem? He's not on the board of Doge nor Bitcoin. You think the fact that people are buying or selling at their own choice should infringe on his right to comment as he sees fit?

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    The most obvious reason was his comment a while back about securing funding when he in fact did not.
    Class envy knows no bounds.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tanner101 View Post
    How's the market swinging based on his comments his problem? He's not on the board of Doge nor Bitcoin. You think the fact that people are buying or selling at their own choice should infringe on his right to comment as he sees fit?
    As long as he is telling the truth.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowtrimmer View Post
    Class envy knows no bounds.
    What?

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    What?
    I never understood why people always want to hold people that have money or power to a higher standard that the average Joe. Are you going to throw everyone in jail that's a bullshitter or only the elitist among us ?

18. Member
    I never understood why people always want to hold people that have money or power to a higher standard that the average Joe. Are you going to throw everyone in jail that's a bullshitter or only the elitist among us ?
    The dude made a public comment as a CEO of a publicly traded company that was false and misleading regarding his companies finances. That is a crime. He was lucky that he was only fined for it. It has nothing to do with class envy.

19. Banned
    So getting fined wasnt enough ? Your the one calling for jail time not me.

20. Member
    So getting fined wasnt enough ? Your the one calling for jail time not me.
    In my opinion no. All you have to do is look at his comments regarding the SEC to see that he could give two shits about the fine.

I will add this. If you don’t want to put him in jail then he should at least be banned from holding a board position or an executive position in any publicly traded company.
    Last edited by janky; 05-13-2021 at 04:58 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast