Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Good money you would have to 1st have a fair tax system. I pay more in Fed and State Taxes then 2/3 people make on here. But yet people making less pay no Taxes and get tax credits, great system for lower income earners. Hell we raised 4 kids and never had a credit of any kind now day's the pay you to have kids what since does that make.
    Easy now, don't go making sense.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    I don't see how you can get by comfortably with two kids these days making under $100 each?
    We get by comfortably with 5 kids and only 150k a year. It really depends on a lot of factors, and subjectivity. What we consider comfortable you may not.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

It's not what you make, It's what you spend......... Either by choice or not.

4. Member
    I’m shocked at how high some of you think is good or comfortable money.

I do live in the Midwest so maybe that’s why? Maybe spoiled in the US?
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

5. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Good money you would have to 1st have a fair tax system. I pay more in Fed and State Taxes then 2/3 people make on here. But yet people making less pay no Taxes and get tax credits, great system for lower income earners. Hell we raised 4 kids and never had a credit of any kind now day's the pay you to have kids what since does that make.

Who decides and what is a fair tax system. I could be wrong, but I think you have to be really poor to not pay taxes. IMO, the poor have a hard enough time as it is, Uncle Sam doesn't need to rape them too.
    Thanos was the hero

6. Member
    [QUOTE=Stratos81;13412943]Such a subjective topic.

Someone making $250k would say $500k… and someone making $500k would say $1m.

I know someone, whose base is $5.7m… stocks and bonuses literally puts him around $15m a year. His wife that went full Florida, plasticized…. Cheated on him. Divorced etc etc, lost full custody of his kids - he’s miserable.

Theres an older single dude down the dirt road from me, single, drives a 90’s tacoma with his collie on the front seat. He tells
    me its SS only, plus what small farm income he has from his small 20acre field he inherited. That dude seems super happy.

Good money is what helps you find happiness. Happiness has different price tags for different people.

However, one of my favorite lines. Money cant buy happiness, but it can buy a jet ski. Have you ever seen an unhappy person on a jet ski?[/QUOTE
    Yes. Jet ski died in the middle of the lake.

7. Member
    Depends on lots of things and stage of life and where you live. Have seen some live on next to nothing and others live terrible on great salaries.

This is a very regional question.

I think locally a household income between 110 and 120k with a modest home and little debt you would be able to live comfortably.

With an average car payment today of 720/mo and a mortgate on the national average 417k home, that number would need to be around 150-175k household income.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrodbender View Post
    It's not what you make, It's what you spend......... Either by choice or not.
    This is very true! Many spend a lot on wants and they live paycheck to paycheck. Nobody needs to eat out 5 or 6 times a week. Even though I could, I refuse to do that. Living comfortably in retirement mode with no house or car payments.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Who decides and what is a fair tax system. I could be wrong, but I think you have to be really poor to not pay taxes. IMO, the poor have a hard enough time as it is, Uncle Sam doesn't need to rape them too.
    Opinions vary, I guess.

11. Member
    Good money, no matter where you live or what you do, is when you don’t need to know what day is payday.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Also depends on how you choose to live.
    This is the right answer. Liquid cash depends on where you live = rent/mortgage+property taxes, auto insurance, etc. and how you choose to live.

If you marry a high maintenance woman, choose to have two kids, need to have two SUVs, bass boat, eat out every night, then you probably need $250K. But if you can't live comfortably on ~$100K - as the saying goes "a fool and his money are soon parted".

13. Member
    Retired in California. Everything is paid for. Make it on 30 k a year and have extra money every month. Never made more than 90 k a year

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LateralLine View Post
    I’m shocked at how high some of you think is good or comfortable money.

I do live in the Midwest so maybe that’s why? Maybe spoiled in the US?
    I'm in your neck of the woods and it was a 10% lower cost of living over here compared to where I lived on the east side of the state- both places were 50 miles from a big city (St.L. vs KC). That was equivalent to an increase in salary just by itself.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadYakker View Post
    I'm in your neck of the woods and it was a 10% lower cost of living over here compared to where I lived on the east side of the state- both places were 50 miles from a big city (St.L. vs KC). That was equivalent to an increase in salary just by itself.
    Ha ill feel like we get a raise in salary after getting 2 kids out of day care(or will it, travel sports, next school options etc).. on the other hand thank god for daycare and thank god i can afford it

As long as I come out $1 ahead

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dreese View Post
    100k is not comfortable these days.
    I retired in 2002 and was making 125k a year, that would be a drop in the bucket in this day and age.

All Money is Good Money
    SeaArk ZX200DC Mercury 115 FourStroke

19. Member
    Like the old saying goes: the more you make, the more expensive your toys
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Retired in California. Everything is paid for. Make it on 30 k a year and have extra money every month. Never made more than 90 k a year
    Now that's impressive. The key to your statement is that everything is paid for, well done sir.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast