Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    I am also planning on replacing the 8AWG stock wiring on my 2013 PT190. After looking at MinnKota's recommendations for a 40 ft circuit, I'm wondering why Tracker or BassPro puts 8AWG for a 12v 55 lb motor when MinnKota recommends at least 6AWG (close to 4AWG). This is probably why the speed switch burnt out on my motor.

Does anyone have recommendatiosn on where to get cheaper copper power wire? Lowes has it for about $0.99/foot.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by potomacbassin View Post
    I am also planning on replacing the 8AWG stock wiring on my 2013 PT190. After looking at MinnKota's recommendations for a 40 ft circuit, I'm wondering why Tracker or BassPro puts 8AWG for a 12v 55 lb motor when MinnKota recommends at least 6AWG (close to 4AWG). This is probably why the speed switch burnt out on my motor.

Does anyone have recommendatiosn on where to get cheaper copper power wire? Lowes has it for about $0.99/foot.
    For trolling motor wiring you really should use a marine grade wire. It will have fuel and oil resistant insulation and will be a fine strand tinned wire that resist corrosion.
    The cheapest place to buy that I have found is Genuinedealz.com. They will have the wire, connectors, shrink tube and if you like you can give them your cable lengths and they can make up your cables with the connectors crimped on and sealed. It's probably easier to have them do it unless you have the proper crimpers for 6 gauge wire.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    For trolling motor wiring you really should use a marine grade wire. It will have fuel and oil resistant insulation and will be a fine strand tinned wire that resist corrosion.
    The cheapest place to buy that I have found is Genuinedealz.com. They will have the wire, connectors, shrink tube and if you like you can give them your cable lengths and they can make up your cables with the connectors crimped on and sealed. It's probably easier to have them do it unless you have the proper crimpers for 6 gauge wire.
    I totally agree! You do not want to get anything other than all marine grade materials. You can PM me and I'll be happy to give you the name of the company I purchased from. The company I used had a wide variety of end available.

I agree also I wouldnt use anything but marine grade wiring for this application. There are alot of places that you can get it from. Great Lakes Skipper has complete kits if you were wanting to start over and they are pretty reasonably priced. Alot of guys have used them and have been very pleased. My local NAPA can get me any marine grade wire I want when the time comes for me and I get a good deal from my account I have there.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    I agree also I wouldnt use anything but marine grade wiring for this application. There are alot of places that you can get it from. Great Lakes Skipper has complete kits if you were wanting to start over and they are pretty reasonably priced. Alot of guys have used them and have been very pleased. My local NAPA can get me any marine grade wire I want when the time comes for me and I get a good deal from my account I have there.
    I did mine with the wires from Lowes and so far no issues. With the voltage that wire normally carries 24 volts isn't worrying me. It has a gas oil resistant insulation also.
    Last edited by Bassbully 51; 03-31-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    14' Alumacraft Green machine.
    24v.70# Minn Kota (bow)
    24V. 75# Motorguide (tiller)
    Non green- 9.9 merc

6. Member
    Well it worked !! I got the 6 awg in. With shrink tubing the 6 ga. to the 8. Now if I could only get all of it into the loom. So I found out you need to use shrink tubing with a 3 to 1 shrink ratio with Adhesive. And if its a little thick after shrinking( like mine was ) trim the chin off to a taper. Still its a two man job.

7. Member
    Awesome. Sounds like it was a bit of a bear at first! Does the adhesive come inside the shrink tubing or did you add some yourself before shrinking it? If so what kind of adhesive? Got any pics? Congrats on getting it done!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
    Awesome. Sounds like it was a bit of a bear at first! Does the adhesive come inside the shrink tubing or did you add some yourself before shrinking it? If so what kind of adhesive? Got any pics? Congrats on getting it done!
    bassassin-- The shrink tubing has the adhesive in it. Its called( dual wall). Its heat activated. I suggest (Not) cutting the 8 from the 6 until the job is done. The second wire will be harder then the first, But it can be done

9. Member
    This is the shrink tubing I used. And you can see its thick, Because the tubing is meant for much bigger wire. So just shave the leading edge to a taper. And I used spray silicone on the wire.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by poleNhand; 04-04-2014 at 12:53 PM.

That shrink tubing is good stuff for battery cables. Seals the connection very well. So you were able to fit the 6 gauge wiring thru the factory loom that runs along the right side then? How hard was it to actually pull the wiring thru all the curves and thru the convoluted tubing itself?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    That shrink tubing is good stuff for battery cables. Seals the connection very well. So you were able to fit the 6 gauge wiring thru the factory loom that runs along the right side then? How hard was it to actually pull the wiring thru all the curves and thru the convoluted tubing itself?
    Yes it go's through, But staying in the loom is damn near impossible. As far as how hard you have to pull. I would test the theory on your own boat first. To see if your comfortable with it. And what's a convoluted tube?

Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) Convoluted Tubing

Convoluted tubing is just the split wire loom they use for the wiring.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

13. Member
    Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123