Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That’s great, obviously time will tell regarding pressure on the crutch. Technically mine isn’t double the pressure, my first shock had weakened pretty good. Definitely want to hear feedback, thanks for the posts

yeah I think with the guys doing this on the Ultrex the pulled the stock one and put in two lesser rated cylinders, ie totaling more than stock, but not double.

Quote Originally Posted by raven7usa View Post
    Got the "Booster strut installed today. Only took 15 minutes and 2 Philips screwdrivers. Just make sure that your bushing is no wider than the mounting lug on the strut so that it will drop inside the brackets. I screwed the 1" threaded rod into one of the barrel connecters 'till it bottomed out. The other connecter will thread onto the remaining exposed rod. You won't use the short screws. And a big Thank You to Todd for a great idea.Attachment 550306Attachment 550307
    Attachment 550306
    interested in your feedback after taking it out. I encourage everyone who goes this route to purchase an additional crutch, 12 bucks. Keep the screws for the binding nuts, you’ll be able to reinstall in case of failure. Next step ( input from all please) the top portion of the crutch needs a 3d printed part, it can epoxy in place. This will beef up the center of the crutch, up toward the new bushing. Better yet, the bushing is printed as a whole piece.

Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    yeah I think with the guys doing this on the Ultrex the pulled the stock one and put in two lesser rated cylinders, ie totaling more than stock, but not double.
    I changed the gas spring in an Ultrex 80# 45" motor from 640N to 860N when I added the original 360=helped some. Then when I changed to MEGA 360 and added MEGA LIVE Target Lock, I doubled the 860N. That was before Minnkota produced the accessory mount to have more lift assist with a single gas spring, and before Ron Meadows produced his single gas spring upgrade kit.

This is the original one by the guy that made the dual gas spring block and I got the second one he made. In the picture he has the 640N and 860N installed and it was too much for his setup. I traded a 640 for his 860 so his is just right and mine is a little too much--have to push down in the mount arm to latch it down. I may change one of them to the 770N if it becomes too difficult to push down on the mount.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/Advanced, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

How are these mods holding up?

IMG_7197.png
    Did Lowrance change the mount? Mine has 1” high ribs where the single strut would fit in between. The dual struts hit the ribs and the motor wont latch in the down position. Not even close to latching.

7. Member
    excellent idea

8. Member
    I had the same problem. Had to go back to the single assist cylinder

I'm running a M360 and single LVS-34 on the Ghost - it's heavier for sure, but still reasonable to lift up for this almost 60 year old, so the cylinder is still ok I suspect. But, I've got a spare lift assist cylinder and cradle in my spare parts box in the garage for when it breaks/gives out. Although I do have over a year of warranty left.

As mentioned earlier, I think the dual strut is a good idea, especially if adding a bunch of stuff to the shaft, but that plastic clutch is the weak part. I guess Lowrance's thinking is better to allow the relatively inexpensive clutch to break vs the more expensive cylinder or bending the mount in some way. I think HB is on to the right path with their updated mount, but think they should have offered it as a kit instead of requiring a new purchase. Much like for HB a lower unit kit and pivot bushing kit were pretty much required spare parts to keep around, for the Ghost it appears to be lift clutch (and cylinder, maybe), pull cable, upper head pin, (and prop) are the most often needed spare/repair parts.

Next boat (or next TM possibly) won't be a Ghost. All TM's have issues, but seems like this one is just a troublemaker. I've almost put my Fortrex back on a few times :(. And may still do it. I rarely use spot lock, tbh. It's more of a "sit down and re-tie or grab a drink" convenience more than a fishing tool for me, due to the poor implementation of it. Part me says sell it, re-install the Fortrex, hang my old MDI+ off it, any maybe upgrade to a Quest or Move down the road.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12