Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Matt,
    Forgot about the off-set but individuals above are correct in their measurement.
    2.5 - inch spacer + 5.5 JP = 8 inches plus wedges
    4.0 - inch spacer + 5.5 JP = 9.5 inches plus wedges
    As Craig already referenced above, call Bill and get the upgrade kit for the JP, a day and night difference.

2. Member
    Thanks Terry!

3. Member
    I have the wedges for my boat but not installed , how much of a difference do they make in hole shot?

Quote Originally Posted by basser38 View Post
    I have the wedges for my boat but not installed , how much of a difference do they make in hole shot?

For me its a huge difference. I have difficulty without wedges. Especially on tall wheels like the 32 and 34. Day to day operation of my boat was impacted more by wedges than setback. 2 degree is all we can run. 5 degree will put you out of trim range. I think we could get away with 3 degree but it would be close.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    Can I be either a dumb smart alec, or a smart alect period. I see 2"+5.5" which would equal 7.5" of setback. Where am I off?
    2.5" spacer + 5.5" hydraulic + 0.5" wedge

I domt personally count the wedge as setback and had never seen it counted until i came over to the Allison world.

Unlike River Rocket, I saw an improvement when removing the wedges. My boat stopped burying the bow as it broke over. I now run 10" with no wedge and she runs pretty good.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post

I domt personally count the wedge as setback and had never seen it counted until i came over to the Allison world.

Unlike River Rocket, I saw an improvement when removing the wedges. My boat stopped burying the bow as it broke over. I now run 10" with no wedge and she runs pretty good.
    I was thinking to put the wedges on mine.... maybe have to try it both ways?
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

Probably driving style.

I went to the Jay McDaniel school of Allison driving. The school specializes in using the trim. They offer such classes as "Get on the trim", "Trim Early and stay on it", "Give it more trim", "How to tell when you need more trim", "You need to trim it", "What to tell Jay when he questions did you trim it", and "Trimming to bounce of the rev limiter"......
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    Probably driving style.

I went to the Jay McDaniel school of Allison driving. The school specializes in using the trim. They offer such classes as "Get on the trim", "Trim Early and stay on it", "Give it more trim", "How to tell when you need more trim", "You need to trim it", "What to tell Jay when he questions did you trim it", and "Trimming to bounce of the rev limiter"......
    Problem with some of my running is I was nearly out of trim lol. Have only done seat of the pants prop height measuring lol
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    I was thinking to put the wedges on mine.... maybe have to try it both ways?
    Question is are you having holeshot issues? Every boat, load and driver are a little different as well as props and expectations. I tried wedges and did not need them on my specific rig. Have needed and ran them on other boats. My bow launches higher without but I have no issue laying it over with my loads I normally run.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

10. Member
    Just a couple months after I got my boat in 2016 I started hearing the rumor of a secret lip mod and four inch spacers. So it was happening in 16 but the boats could have had a 17 model year. Interesting Terry about engine mounting holes. I remember talking to AllyFishing and he said he had to run his plate at a lower number after installing the 4 inch set back plates. I did not. So I was sure that some how I was measuring propshaft to pad wrong. I checked it multiple times and finally gave up. Now I get the rest of the story. This was a night and day difference in my boat more bow lift at less speed with the same trim. Didn’t change my top end a bit. Now I have also learned get on the trim til the boat feels really loose then back down a touch. Still don’t run like it should.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    Probably driving style.

I attended that school also, Geoff. Unfortunately, I bumped it one time to many and got dizzy. Lol In reality, I wish I could have blamed the trim, but my stupid self thought I could drive it through the wind gusting around a long curve. LOL She was really running good until a gusting wind took the nose 20 degrees to the east. lol. I didn't know if I was "washing or hanging out" in that instant. My fault completely. Glad I was in an Allison. Boat handled it great. See Ya, Woody

Quote Originally Posted by Woody22 View Post
    I attended that school also, Geoff. Unfortunately, I bumped it one time to many and got dizzy. Lol In reality, I wish I could have blamed the trim, but my stupid self thought I could drive it through the wind gusting around a long curve. LOL She was really running good until a gusting wind took the nose 20 degrees to the east. lol. I didn't know if I was "washing or hanging out" in that instant. My fault completely. Glad I was in an Allison. Boat handled it great. See Ya, Woody
    Did that in my XR2002. Sudden blast of cross wind laying it on its side was an eye opener! Just FYI the front bow will fit a decent size guy. What is strange is how fast you get under and how long it takes to crawl back out!
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

14. Member
    Powell got me on that one too. Made me crawl to his drain on his troller trough. He drug me out by my toes. 😂
    i should have listened to Johnny Maxwell. He never led me wrong. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Woody22 View Post
    Powell got me on that one too. Made me crawl to his drain on his troller trough. He drug me out by my toes. 
    i should have listened to Johnny Maxwell. He never led me wrong. 
    Trust me the XB21 is bigger!
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

16. BBC SPONSOR
    Bump that trim one more time Woody!
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

17. Member
    The Powell/Erickson/Wood/Maxwell/McDaniel school of Allison is like those classes you take on the water where somebody messes with "YOUR" electronics and teaches you after messing with "YOUR" electronics. And they charge! LOL. We don't charge....we just mess with other peoples boats and stuff. We save our boats that way! LOL

18. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    i do admit i"m glad I put my wedges back on. Definite difference in hole shot.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12