Thread: HUB QUESTION

HUB QUESTION

How often do your spin out a FLO - TORQ ll hub?? Also do any of you pay the money to upgrade to the Mercury special purpose hub "metal hub"??

zero unless you hit something?
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. mikesxpress
    Been running them since they came out and never spun one.

I've never seen one spun. I saw one broke in half once when it was taken apart. The guy had no idea it was broken. He found it when taking his prop off to check for fishing line.

I did once back in 2001. Other than that, I have noticed what looks like stress cracks in the hub sometimes when I pull my prop to inspect. But, none of the minor cracks have ever caused an issue and I change them out if I'm worried about the cracking.

Gonna jinx myself here, but I've never spun one out. I hit my prop once to the point of it needing repaired and went ahead and replaced the hub in the process, though it still looked fine. I think they must be designed to only let loose when you've got a catastrophic-level collision that would otherwise break something in the lower unit.

If you're wondering about whether it's worth it to carry an extra hub, my experience suggests that you should only do that if you're also carrying an extra prop to go with it - you ain't breaking one unless you also break your prop. Of course your mileage may vary.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Not sure you can "spin a hub" like we did with the old pressed in rubber insert hubs..
    There's really nothing there to spin... Might bust enough of the corners off to let it spin.. But I have not seen that YET.

I busted up a lower unit before I busted the Flo torque hub
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

The metal hubs are for the fat shaft LUs. I’m not sure Mercury makes them for standard prop shafts.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Member
    I was spinning a hub every time I ran my boat hard for more than a few minutes. Water lines in the mid were clogged not letting the water escape through the hub like it should. The heat from the exhaust was burning the hub because the water wasn’t cooling it like it is supposed to.
    If you're going to be dumb, you've got to be tough!

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    The metal hubs are for the fat shaft LUs. I’m not sure Mercury makes them for standard prop shafts.
    I still have a couple of the metal Mercury Racing hubs for a small shaft flo- torque -- For sale cheap!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebullet96 View Post
    I was spinning a hub every time I ran my boat hard for more than a few minutes. Water lines in the mid were clogged not letting the water escape through the hub like it should. The heat from the exhaust was burning the hub because the water wasn’t cooling it like it is supposed to.
    Same thing here, but it was carbon build up in the idle relief ports in the tuner. Hub would get too hot and let go.

Matt
    \'96 202 Champ \"Old Blue\"

Quote Originally Posted by fish hound View Post
    Same thing here, but it was carbon build up in the idle relief ports in the tuner. Hub would get too hot and let go.
    Are you guys spinning a Flow Torque II on a fat shaft like the OP is talking about ????