Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New boat dilemma?

Ok guys! Need sum serious input for a new boat! I started out in a cat back in the mid 90’s then I left to go with Bullet, then back to a 07 Puma, to today I think my boat is sold and really wasn’t looking to sell but it happens that way sumtimes. I have always been a cat guy down deep and love the quality of them! All my friends have made the switch to Phoenix and I have fished from those and really like the layout just not sure of the long term life! What is your thoughts of both brands! I will be getting a 250 Verado forsure on whatever I buy! Just looking for thoughts from more minds! I am not trying to start a negative forum for anybody just looking for real life thoughts.

2. Member
    When looking to buy, the only area that was really a negative for longevity was the carpet. Especially compared to the cat.

3. Member
    I think the trailer is the most important issue to look at and marine masters has had its share of complaints they are not basscat or ranger quality for sure just do some searching and find out just saying.

4. Member
    Some years back, after I sold my first Cat, I had a look at Phoenix. Besides two or three things that I was not fussy about on the Phoenix (trailer was one of them), the biggest impact was a comment from a dealer who sold both Cats and Phoenix at that time. He felt that the Cat was still a better build quality, but, of course, a little more money. I have had two more Cats since and will stick with them.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Member
    So you have had a positive experience for 30 years with a product but your buddies got the shiney new in vogue thing so you are considering jumping on the bandwagon? I personally stick with the thing that I know works. Don't get me wrong Phoenix looks nice but if your are planning to lay out the kind of cash that boats go for. I'll take the tried and true and not have any room for sleepless nights.

6. Member
    Lynx and don't look back.

Go look at them both in person. Fish off the Phoenix. Then buy which ever one you prefer. I like the cat better but that is my money and opinion. `

8. Member
    I think if you have owned cats for years and have fished out of the Birds then you already know the two brands and what they bring to the table. I would only suggest this their is a big difference in the newer model Cats over a 07. I would go look at the newer Cats and lay outs and the newer Birds and then if one of those still doesn't stand out. I would then pick the last two or three models and try and get a ride and drive of each model on days that the lake conditions are a like. That should be enough for you to chose what works for you. I do not think you can go wrong with either choice, they both will last ten years no problems, that seams to be about how long you like to keep a boat. I would look at the Lynx with the 300 Verado and the PHX 921 with same motor, but that is my choice and what fits my fishing.

9. Member
    I have the Lynx with a 250 Verado. Awesome boat. That boat is made for the Verado!

Not sure if the
    Phoenix
    people have the same thing but I like the comradery of the Basscat people.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassdeer View Post
    Not sure if the
    Phoenix
    people have the same thing but I like the comradery of the Basscat people.

They do but not for as long as the BC people LOL

I love the Phoenix 921 and the ride for me is by far the best I have ever been around.

My Dream boat is the Lynx with the 300 Verado. I loved my Z522 ranger for the big water. I do believe lots of reasons why people buy different boat companies and models. I have always admired the Pierce family and wanted a BC but I liked the wide longer boats. I have not been a fan of the Jag because of the consoles. The Lynx gives me everything I wanted to become a Bass Cat owner. I am not sure of the lay out but I can get use to what ever a boat has. Rick as been at the fore front of new bass boat designs and I assume I will love this design has well has other designs he has done. I will have one, one day when I get a couple things done so I can go back to bass fishing.

12. Member
    I’m leaning toward a new Puma FTD with the Vrod! Sum of the comments are correct I haven’t been around or fished out of the newer cats but I will be going to look at few forsure! I really feel like cat is better built and built with better parts like the carpet and stuff. Like I said I sold the boat when I really wasn’t trying to, I love the fact that cat builds there own trailer and I never once had a issue with mine. Thanks for all the comments

13. Member
    I'm currently running a 2014 z521c and love my boat, but when I get that itch to pull the trigger I'm going to be after 1 boat only a lynx with a vrod I'm not looking at anything else, I've always wanted a Basscat and the lynx is the one. I was going to drop the cash last month but some unfortunate situations came up, family comes first for me and even if I have to wait till next year that will be fine I'm still fishing from a really nice boat right now. Phoenix is a nice boat but they remind me of my old triton, I like them but I'm not willing to ever buy a boat with an ez loader or marine masters trailer under it again, just from my previous experience, but you'll see me here soon enough as a member of the Basscat family if and when I leave Ranger.

14. Member
    You might want to post this question on the Phoenix board as well. They have some people running a 921 with the Verado 250 Pro. It’s a pretty solid combo.

The Phoenix looks nice, but after my experience with Bass Cat they are the only bass boat company I want to own.

Now my hell is deciding between a Bay boat and a Bass Boat for my next ride.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

16. Member
    I understand your questions - I have been a die hard Ranger guy for decades, but when I finally make the next move, Bass Cat wide deck, Phoenix 920-921 and Ranger will be all considered. At this point in my life, I want to drive and fish from all of them to decide what separates them for me.

I like the Phoenix and considered one at one time. I just can’t get over the plastic look of most boats today. I don’t want all of that on my console and up front. This look makes a boat look cheap in my opinion. On on my second Cougar Ftd and it’s for sure the boat for me.

18. Member
    I looked a Phoenix before purchasing my Puma. If a Basscat is a 9 (nothing is a 10), then a Phoenix is an 8, just not up to the standards of a Basscat. No trim around the top of the compartments on a Phoenix, trailer quality isn't even close. Besides a Phoenix looks way too much like the old Stratos line. They (Stratos) was a good boat, but mid range in quality, much like a Phoenix.

19. Member
    It’s part of the big process. And I’m sure you will be very happy. But you have a lot to go on. I started without fishing or owning a bass boat for 12 years. And I’m known for wanting and paying for the best in class stuff.
    You know when you CAN finally afford to get any of them that you will buy the best match for you. I had a hard time not buying an Allison. I love speed. And they do speed very well.
    but I knew I’d love my bass cat! Even before I got in it. I just feel good at the ramp. And on the water. Not that my friends don’t have great boats. They do birds, rangers, bullets, alllison. But I know they like and respect mine as much as I do. And that I wouldn’t trade with them. Strange to me how much my friends opinion matters even though it didn’t change my desision the day I wanted or bought my PUMA. But I also asked everyone’s opinion on here also. So glad that we all love our boats enough to talk and share our opinions. But to this day I don’t wish I had bought another boat, for that mater even model. I love the PUMA. And thanks bass cat for making a great boat.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Some years back, after I sold my first Cat, I had a look at Phoenix. Besides two or three things that I was not fussy about on the Phoenix (trailer was one of them), the biggest impact was a comment from a dealer who sold both Cats and Phoenix at that time. He felt that the Cat was still a better build quality, but, of course, a little more money. I have had two more Cats since and will stick with them.
    A few weeks ago I was at the Tulsa boat show and was casually strolling through all the boats. My Lynx hadn't delivered yet. I was looking through the Phoenix and saw some things I liked, some things I didn't. The salesman came up and we started chatting a bit, just mainly small-talk. He asked if I was in the market for a new boat while he was pointing out a few features and I didn't mind looking and asking questions. He asked again if I was interested and I then told him I had a Cat on order, but enjoyed looking at his wares. His eye brows lit up and he asked me what the name of that, "new model they have that looks fantastic"? I said yes, a Lynx is what I have on order. Quietly, he said, "You have a fine boat.", and there was no more mention of the Phoenix but he had a endless list of questions about my Cat!
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast