Thread: wingmaster Gen2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I have a battleship with it on there...Champion 206...73.6 at 5770 just me tourney loaded..up to 69 with my xl partner...These are approaching the fastest logged speeds on the Champion forum for this boat, and that is in high August TX humidity and HIGH temps...This boat feels so light with this thing pushing it...It did take a few days for me to tweak the height to the best balance of solo vs partner...I don't run that fast alone usually, and I wanted the best top end with a heavy boat, so I went for that. I could likely get 75 out of it if I raised it a little...heck, cooler weather may do it anyway... If you know the 206, it is a stable rough water boat that drives great...Now it is better with this motor...Fury 25p stock, 10 inch slidemaster, 25.5 setback, numbers provided by mercmonitor...I will play with props when I get a little more rash on this one...

2. Member

Thumbs Up

Don to assist others in making informed decisions regarding the relatively new Wingmaster, do you think it would help to put together a "sticky data base" of Wingmaster set-ups? I have made my choice, but I think this would be a great addition to the information that you and others have already posted. Great numbers Stephen for a heavy boat, good job.

If the guys can't figure out their new motor on their old hulls, it's not their fault, it has to be the Gen 2. After all they're "well respected" and it can't be their lack of knowledge on their own boat.

I'm sure that Sherm will get them into a new hull to run that new motor and Rick will be more than willing to build that new hull.
    Fish Don't Have Hands!

4. Member
    I guess the only way to put this to bed is to have a shoot out test. All 3 lowers, service master, torque master gen1 & wing master.. All on the same rig with a new 2013/2014 250 pro xs. Do the runs, log the data and see which is best..then do a dial in test for each lower unit based on jack plate height, prop, etc...

The Gen 2 runs higher, better hydrodynamic profile, probably lighter in weight too.

I don't have a dog in this anyways. But, I've seen this Gen 2 perform in real world competitive bass fishing. It's a runner for sure, and those who imply otherwise simply haven't seen the Gen 2 bust 80mph.
    Fish Don't Have Hands!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I think it's probably a good idea to have a thread for folks to share their SUCCESSFUL setups on these. Certainly would be helpful to others.

Guys... I'm going to put this as straightforward as I can here. 99% of the problems we're seeing with setups are coming from boats that are REPOWERED with a new engine... and the dealer that actually SOLD or REGISTERED the engine never even saw the boat (it was rigged to the boat ELSEWHERE).

That's where the real problem lies. The SELLING and REGISTERING dealer is the one that SHOULD be responsible to ensure that the customer's engine is the CORRECT model, is well-suited to the application, and is set-up (initially) in an appropriate (good starting point) setup.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I think it's probably a good idea to have a thread for folks to share their SUCCESSFUL setups on these. Certainly would be helpful to others.
    "If you build it they will come"

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Built.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Lots of good info. Still a lot of grey area for me... I like black n white.
    BILLY. 1995 202DCX ELITE TEAM FATBOY
    & 2000 tracker PT185
    2015 Fish count
    Days on the Water =5.
    Big fish 1-5.5
    Big fish 2-5.00000
    Big fish 3-4.0
    Big fish 4-3.0smallmouth
    Big fish 5-@2.50

10. Member
    euro don ,how can you get 24 " set back min. from the pad on a 21' bullet with out destroying the boat? I have a 14" hydro with 2' spacers bolted to it & still only have 23" from pad & that's a hull that weighs less than 1400lbs.Bullet does not advise that much set back for warranty.I am running 4 mph slower with this gear case/ motor(2013 250 pro xs ) SAVAGE, I would say the wingmaster seems more like a parking break if you make 60 + mile runs up river to fish like many of us do in my area.I do not know a single person with a wingmaster on a bullet that's happy with the performance #'s they are getting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stsllc View Post
    euro don ,how can you get 24 " set back min. from the pad on a 21' bullet with out destroying the boat? I have a 14" hydro with 2' spacers bolted to it & still only have 23" from pad & that's a hull that weighs less than 1400lbs.Bullet does not advise that much set back for warranty.I am running 4 mph slower with this gear case/ motor(2013 250 pro xs ) SAVAGE, I would say the wingmaster seems more like a parking break if you make 60 + mile runs up river to fish like many of us do in my area.I do not know a single person with a wingmaster on a bullet that's happy with the performance #'s they are getting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Your setback is sufficient for THIS boat/engine combination.

I would suggest providing:

-Engine serial number
    -Prop Information
    -Propshaft to pad measurement
    -WOT RPM's
    -WOT Water Pressure
    -GPS Speed

(Start your own post with the above information- will be happy to assist).

12. Member
    You could also talk to Paul Nichols about your problem. I believe he was able to get a bullet to RUN with that gearcase.

I believe ya brother!!! I am one of those Bullet boys ;)..Still working on set up but not close yet..Big difference for ME from my old tmaster..Hope there is a magic spot with this one as well

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Guys- something I can't stress enough here: All the setup work in the world won't help if the engine ISN'T RUNNING PROPERLY.

That's the FIRST STEP... verify the engine is correct. THEN work on the setup.

I'll be glad to assist any of you that are interested... but please open your OWN thread for your boat/engine, providing setup particulars and engine serial number.

15. Member
    Could you take a look at my setup in the bullet section? Titled HELP bullet experts

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'll watch that post for responses.

This could be a silly question. Why in the world would someone order a motor for a Bullet that does not have a Sporty?
    Fish Don't Have Hands!

18. Member
    I know plenty of guys that run torquemasters because they claim they can't carry a load with the sporty.

Interesting.
    So, I take it they're running below pad, and busting 90mph just ain't gonna happen?
    I've only seen 1 Bullet here, and 1 up North on Truman. Just curious since I don't know any personally, nor do I troll the Bullet forum.
    Fish Don't Have Hands!

20. Member
    Exactly. Lower 80s loaded down

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast