1988 Rangertrail question

Hey guys, in the process of putting on (with God’s Help) new brakes, rotors and brake lines on the above dual axle trailer. Old brakes were VR-10 per the 1989 manual, going to UFP DB-35’s. Got one hub done, thankfully, and started to mount the new calipers and ran into a problem. The old brakes use a 9/16” bolt x 1 3/4 and the new ones are 7/16” x 1 1/8. I have an email into the distributor and I am confident he will get back with me Monday but just wondering if anyone else had this problem and how you resolved it. Is there an adapter bracket for the conversion?

Also, I preloaded the hub so it was pretty full of grease and then after getting the bearings in and hub on the spindle, I started filling the bearing buddy type unit the rest of the way (already 3/4 full). I could not pump much grease in at all and it started coming out the hole for the cotter pin. Does that mean it’s full or do I have another problem?

Thanks for any help you can provide. We have done the bearings before but first time replacing the brakes and would appreciate your advice.

2. Member
    It sounds like you need the caliper mounting plate for a DB-35 caliper.

3. Member
    Thanks Blair. Grant at Waymire responded to me today and he thinks the bracket that is on there can be removed and the caliper mounted to the bracket the removed bracket is now attached to. Grant has been excellent to work with. Thank you for taking time to respond, I really appreciate it and may God bless you!

4. Member
    Hey Blair, do you know where I can find that bracket? I took the bracket off used with the VR-10, which left the bracket that is welded to the axle. My problem is that there is not enough clearance to get the bottom bolt in, the head hits the weld for the spindle. I don’t know how to get around this problem. I found a bracket but it says it is for the 5200-7000 lb (bracket #37110) and I don’t think it will work. Then I found this one below but it talks about a Dexter Titan and bracket p/n [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.85)]part # T4840900. It looks like it has the caliper mounted horizontally instead of vertically but don’t know why it could not be rotated. Need help figuring this out, please! Thanks

[/COLOR]

5. Member

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishn View Post
    Hey Blair, do you know where I can find that bracket? I took the bracket off used with the VR-10, which left the bracket that is welded to the axle. My problem is that there is not enough clearance to get the bottom bolt in, the head hits the weld for the spindle. I don’t know how to get around this problem. I found a bracket but it says it is for the 5200-7000 lb (bracket #37110) and I don’t think it will work. Then I found this one below but it talks about a Dexter Titan and bracket p/n [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.85)]part # T4840900. It looks like it has the caliper mounted horizontally instead of vertically but don’t know why it could not be rotated. Need help figuring this out, please! Thanks

[/COLOR]
    I’m not familiar with what the caliper mounting flange looks like on the VR-10 caliper, but according to the UFP DB-35 specifications, the DB-35 caliper should mount directly to the mounting flange that is welded to the axle. Typically that square flange is an industry standard size with 4 holes. I would call and talk to Grant at Waymire or maybe give Pacific Trailer a call and talk with one of there guys. You might also try calling and talking to someone at Shadow Trailer Parts.

7. Member
    Thanks Blair. I think it might fit if it were not for the clearance issue when trying to use the existing bracket welded to the axle. I have an email in to Grant and also to Dexter to see what I can do to make some clearance. Thanks again.