Battery Degradation

Is it reasonable to assume that given the passage of time and use, a battery will naturally degrade over time.

That is, its ability to meet an X load requirement, provide Y ampere hours and Z reserve capacity, will be less than what it was when new.

Or stated another way, perhaps it would be unreasonable to expect that none of this would happen. Nothing lasting forever.

Just like the human body... They wear down with time.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    My X2 AGM sure exhibited those traits. 2 years in it, in no way, carried the load it used to. But unlike me it seemed to stabilize. Eventually, I took a lot of the load off by going to an electronics only battery. Purchased in 2017 it's still in service in my boat today. Runs everything but electronics and trolling motor. I suspect the beating and banging they endure in a boat may have as much to do with their eventual demise as age does.

Depends on the chemistry of the battery, but lead-acids are by far the worst for cycle aging and calendar aging. AGM is a little better and lithium is far better in those regards.
    2020 Tracker 190 TX | 115 ProXS | Quicksilver Q4 21P Prop | 6" Jackplate | Garmin Force @36v | Livescope |

YouTube - Fishing & Lithium Battery Content: https://www.youtube.com/@goodmanfishing/videos

5. Member
    Everything wears out over time. Lithium seems to be the toughest as far as abuse as the BMS prevents stuff that is too stupid to kill them. As Goodman said L/A is the most sensitive to abuse but with proper care they last quite awhile. cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

6. Member
    the quickest way to kill an LFP battery is to run it down and let it sit. it wont last long. charging on the low end and discharging at the high end of specs will reduce some lifetime.

interesting we have some FLA's in our data centers that are quick discharged once per month, capacity tested twice per year and sit beteen the rectifiers and equipment 24/7. they were installed when i first started, 26 years ago.

7. Member
    I don't think time is much of a factor in degradation. I believe the state of discharge is the main cause, within certain conditions.
    Wes

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D Dad View Post
    I don't think time is much of a factor in degradation. I believe the state of discharge is the main cause, within certain conditions.
    pretty much. if one is taken care an lfp batt can last 20 years and still retain at least 80% capacity.