Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Most companies will not grease it up.. Just Hard and Dry..

So here's the irony in this situation ... a tech who can actually troubleshoot and repair without replacing everything will never generate the income that a "upseller" will in the retail world ... yeah, retail customers love it but business owners frown upon it. It's one reason that many of the better tech's within many industries often gravitate towards the commercial side. Often the pay is better and you actually have to get by with skill and ability.
    Ranting incoherently

Just went through this with my upstairs ac, Buddy replaced the capacitor , it ran , he left, it quit. He came back the next day the ac was blowing transformer inside unit. He replaced transformer, it ran 5 min. it blew again. He said unit will need replaced after 19 yrs due to parts not made anymore for my unit. Dammer!!!

4. Member
    Before we were living together. Wife had AC guy out. Wanted over 4k. It was just bad fuse at outside disconnect

5. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    A buddy of mines son works for a a/c guy. He was telling me how his son was telling him how bad they rip people off. Said they told a lady it needed a new board and would be like $800. Put the new board in and still had the same problem so they put the old board back in and figured out it was some other $20 part and still charged the lady the $800.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

6. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    I'd be that guy but only because I'd prefer to fix it my self. Most AC or Heater issues can be fixed by replacing the Start Capacitor. Usually no more than $30.

For the OP, I hope the tech used some locktite on that set screw so it don't come loose again.

Edit: I did not see Dixie's post before I posted but yeah locktite FTW

I can only imagine how many new units have been installed over the years when they could just replace the start capacitor. F'ers tried to get me to buy a new unit for thousands, but they made a mistake and showed me the part that was bad. A few minutes online and I had a new one its way for a few bucks. It lasted a couple more years.
    Thanos was the hero

IMO it's often more a case of incompetence vs thievery when it comes to changing parts. Change enough parts and eventually you'll fix it. Troubleshooting skills come over time, time nobody wants to invest in anymore. From a strictly business standpoint, selling parts makes sense vs nurturing a tech along for years only to have him leave for greener pastures. Not so great for the customer but it is what it is. Maybe if people emphasized developing real world skills in their kids instead of untold amounts of $$$ spent on travel sports and such it wouldn't be this way but that's another discussion.
    Ranting incoherently

8. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    The guy that came to fix mine last year actually connected to the unit with his phone via Bluetooth. He had an app and the unit told him what was wrong with itself and how to fix it. I was thinking I just need that app for when I go out of warranty.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

9. Member
    Another example of money being spent today that was not when I was a kid. The 'rich people" in da hood had a window AC. We burned coal for heat and put fans in a window for AC growing up. We will pay for stuff we won't, can't, or don't have time to do ourselves. How much you pay depends on how valuable that service or good is to you.

I'd leave a reviews everywhere I could on the company trying to charge 4K so others may choose another HVAC company vs hoping the government regulates morality.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    I recently learned from a very honest HVAC tech that they are incentivized to up sell customers.
    Yes sir, my sister called me and said her house needed a new furnace and they were running a special if she got a new A/C also. They even offered to finance it.

This house was my moms and I replaced both less than 6 yeas ago. I called the company that installed it and all it was is that wasps/mud dobbers built a nest causing it not to light. They wouldn't even take money, not even a service call!
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

11. Member
    It's starts with a lot of technical incompetence. Even after a 5 year apprenticeship many can't do the work. They don't have the ability. The side of this is, integrity, you either have it or you don't. Speaking the truth is hard for some. Some of the problem is a lot owners don't have technical ability, integrity, or business acumen. It can be any or all of these. Our society has driven this! All for what, not much different the most politicians. Greed, for money or power or both!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Could almost buy one of those Bubba Scales!

Hopefully he put some Loctite on it to keep if from backing out again?
    Loctite's not cheap, that's why the bill is so expensive
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

Had a Coil leak shortly after I had a tech come check my unit. Tech did not touch the coil, it was a coincidence. Course the coil was under warranty, but to get a warranty replacement would have taken over a month in 2022. I confirmed this with multiple people. So my quotes to replace the coil were crazy. $8-12k. Believe me, I know they upcharge you especially if your in a nice neighborhood. A coil costs less than $1200. and at $1200 i would be getting the best coil out there.

Had a independent guy come in, got me a better aspen coil and installed it for $3200.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyeggroll View Post
    Kind of like paying $1,000 for a lithium battery…
    yup, made in the same factory as the $300 Amazon ones.

15. Member
    We all have been screwed at one time or another.....just a matter of how bad and how much $$$$. This is a win for the property owner.

16. Member
    The whole problem in the residential HVAC world is the guys making the repairs are compensated for what they "repair". Anytime you tie pay to a situation like that, you can expect dishonesty as an overall majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Alliston64 View Post
    The whole problem in the residential HVAC world is the guys making the repairs are compensated for what they "repair". Anytime you tie pay to a situation like that, you can expect dishonesty as an overall majority.
    If business owners set up the pay scale like this ^^^, you can guarantee that many of the techs will engage in fraud. In this case, the business owner should also be held liable.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12