Thread: 5-11 report

5-11 report

Started before 6am, there was no wind and the water has started to get a greener color to it with the warmer weather. Mid to upper 60’s for wt temp. Still not getting any quality bites. I must have missed the spawn this season?? I never saw beding bass or bass up very shallow… I tried everything I could think of but only small 12” ones… this lake had a lot of weeds just below the water so at 11am I put every rod away and got my flipping stick out. I put a 1 1/4oz punching jig on. I just started flipping to any open spot randomly, I did that the last 1 1/2hr until I left. I was able to catch 1 nice 4lb she was skinny but very nice looking. Not beat up no bloody tail. My thinking is there done and trying to rest before eating more?? Really I have no idea why I’m having a hard month of May? I’ll try again next week.

2. Member
    Don't feel bad, you're not the only one struggling. A buddy and I went out two weekends ago and caught 3-4 that were in the 3 pound range, but other than that I've struggled to catch any size since water temps were in the upper 30's to low 40's. I'm with you in that I haven't seen any bedding bass so I'm not sure if they have spawned yet or not. The weather seems to keep fluctuating between cool and warm so I don't know if that has them in some kind of funk or what. At least you're catching some, and anytime you can get a 4 pounder it's worth the trip. I decided to fish a local river for a few hours this weekend. Water was up and current was fast, so I wound up fishing in a backwater area. Only caught one fish and it was a 3-4 pound walleye on a chatterbait in 2 1/2 feet of water.

3. Member
    I don't fish as much in April or May like I use to. been a long time since I caught a largemouth off beds! however smallmouth I did that last year at mille lacs! going to okoboji in 6 days and mille lacs 2 weeks from now. I fished a lake near desmoines yesterday and it was a struggle! I think some spawned and in a funk! I prefer June through late summer fishing anymore

4. Member
    Could be all the rain maybe to? Some of the bass for got what rain was maybe? Lol