X19 control cable length?

Have not pulled my control cables yet. But going from the engine end out to of the cover. Add 3ft for the cable tube to the boat. Measure to the side of the boat. From there to the control box. I'm coming up with 11ft, 12 ft might be better.
    Anyone has to replace there cables? Both the shifting and gas cables need replaced on mine. The work now, but short and start kinking if your turning to the port. I though about just going with 14ft cables. Route over the fuel tank and around. That way I have for sure plenty of length.
    Any ideals on the right length?
    Last edited by wild wolf products; 05-15-2024 at 09:12 PM.
    2001 Xpress X19
    2006 Johnson 90 HP Model J90GLSDE

2. Member
    Understand your wanting to be long rather than to short but that extra cable could be a pain to deal with and I think its rather stiff. I would try to be as close as possible to correct length and would probably pull the old cable and measure before buying new.

3. Member
    Thanks but even pulling the old cables. I'm still in a guessing game. As there not the right cables. But going to pull them this weekend. Measure and add 3ft.
    2001 Xpress X19

4. Member
    Ran a cable the whole length of the cables today. came out to 12ft 7" That's using the 3ft of tubing from the transom to the engine.
    2001 Xpress X19

5. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Are there any numbers on the cable sheath? Usually, the length of the cable is on it in inches.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

6. Member
    No help for me. The cables they installed are short. Everything was taken out of a different boat. So can't guy by any number on the cables in there now. There hooked up, but turn to port. The cables are kinking up.

Now being our boat is a 2000 model and mines a 2001. IF your cable numbers were in site. I could compare them to get the right length. But guessing these in it now. Came from a 17ft or so boat. It was just put together to sell.
    But I bought it knowing this. Plus was going to change most of the stuff out anyway. Even the engine is going after I get the boat to that stage.
    2001 Xpress X19

7. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Sorry fished today, I'll check and see if I can find the number on my cables tomorrow.
    Gene Wilson

Team PoorMansCustomLures

8. Member
    Thanks hope you had a great day fishing.
    2001 Xpress X19

9. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Was a pretty good day me and my tourny partner probably had 30, no bigs just 2s and under. I checked my boat and the cables are all under cover, I have a 12" jackplate and I'm pretty sure my cables were 12' but not positive. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
    Gene Wilson

Team PoorMansCustomLures

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkyarcher View Post
    Was a pretty good day me and my tourny partner probably had 30, no bigs just 2s and under. I checked my boat and the cables are all under cover, I have a 12" jackplate and I'm pretty sure my cables were 12' but not positive. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
    Thanks and glad you caught some fish. I would love to get on Pickwick lake tomorrow. Wear out the Crappie, but my body is telling me no. So guess I will listen to it.
    Also measuring mine from the controls to the engine. Leaving 3ft for the cable tubing, came to 12ft 7" I think it was. And I could be off the 7" on that.
    2001 Xpress X19

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wild wolf products View Post
    Have not pulled my control cables yet. But going from the engine end out to of the cover. Add 3ft for the cable tube to the boat. Measure to the side of the boat. From there to the control box. I'm coming up with 11ft, 12 ft might be better.
    Anyone has to replace there cables? Both the shifting and gas cables need replaced on mine. The work now, but short and start kinking if your turning to the port. I though about just going with 14ft cables. Route over the fuel tank and around. That way I have for sure plenty of length.
    Any ideals on the right length?
    12' on the shift control and 15' on the throttle (With Hotfoot). I also have 16" setback on my 2001 X19. They both have ample oom for motor pivot etc.

Good luck!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallie_Hawgin View Post
    12' on the shift control and 15' on the throttle (With Hotfoot). I also have 16" setback on my 2001 X19. They both have ample oom for motor pivot etc.

Good luck!
    Thanks I ordered a set of 13 ft. Got them installed and fit almost perfect. But the cables are inside a 3ft rigging tube. Right leg does not like a hotfoot anymore. I love them, but my body does not.
    2001 Xpress X19