Fishing the cicada hatch

I am going to attempt to get out with the fly rod this weekend and try to catch some carp or anything else eating the cicadas. Tied these up last night after a quick stop at our local fly shop for some guidance. Are any of you gearing up or trying to cash in on the big hatch? Not many up where I am but the closer you get to Nashville they are everywhere.

This is a very simple and quick tie. Mustad streamer hook size 4. Black foam for body. For wings I used Bear for a couple and foam wing material for a couple. Polypro for some color and fill around wings. Rubber legs. Super simple.

IMG_9816.jpeg

IMG_9815.jpeg

IMG_9813.jpeg

Carp on a fly rod sounds like a hoot. Good luck!

It was a really good topwater bite for bass last time they came out. On Old Hickory.
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

I need to tie something similar up.
    We have a trip to norther AR to fish the White River this coming holiday weekend.

6. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I need to tie something similar up.
    We have a trip to norther AR to fish the White River this coming holiday weekend.
    I used something similar to this with some mods from my local shop. They told me to keep them on the small side and don't overdo it. Mine are probably only 1.5" long and don't have a ton of foam so they will float a little lower in the water.

get a knock off of the Donnelly WOW lure......

8. Member
    In college at MTSU I remember the large hatch in the early 80's (?). We painted white popping bugs black/orange and smashed carp, catfish, bass, bluegill, even gar on fly rods on the Stones River. At times it was every single cast you would hook up. Man that was fun.

9. Member
    They will b very loud in a few weeks. Good luck with the fly fishing.

10. Member
    Watching the bass hit them from my dock. Seems they only hit the ones trashing around. But after 10 days of this they're hitting them less and less.

This is the pattern ill be trying out.

12. Moderator
    Let me know how that one works out. My local shop said they tied a few of those up and thought there was too much foam for the body which made them ride really high on the surface. I think they look better but I just went off their knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    I used something similar to this with some mods from my local shop. They told me to keep them on the small side and don't overdo it. Mine are probably only 1.5" long and don't have a ton of foam so they will float a little lower in the water.

That's a pretty good pattern also after watching the vid
    Ill give that one a try as well.
    The one thing that I would change is when adding the deer hair for the wings I would splay them out to the side more.
    Cicadas dent have wings over their backs like a Hopper does, they lay more at the sides. Would be easy to do on that pattern and it would help the fly lay flat on the water also and not roll.