Thread: Still learning

Still learning

One thing I love about this hobby is you are always learning something new. I have a new love for aviation and I’m dying to get my pilot license. Until I can get the time to do that I have been wanting to try shooting some plane pics. Went to my local airport today and photographed a young man doing his first solo landing and take offs. Very cool and a first for me being so close to the action. What I learned after getting back and reading up on aviations pics is with a prop plane you want the prop blurred but the plane crisp. I was freezing the prop so they look a little strange. They will turn out better next time.

DSC_2798.jpeg

DSC_2765.jpeg

DSC_2847.jpeg

2. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Good looking start

Yeah that prop blur is the same as the wheels of a racecar. Trying to get them blurred properly but not the rest of the plane/car is an interesting balance to figure out. But at least the practice is enjoyable.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

3. Member
    You're learning an old craft too. Photography. I remember learning F/stops, exposures and aperatures and telephoto lenses before the advent of videophotography. It's a lot cheaper now since you can delete your mistakes and do-over for free.

4. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    Good looking start

Yeah that prop blur is the same as the wheels of a racecar. Trying to get them blurred properly but not the rest of the plane/car is an interesting balance to figure out. But at least the practice is enjoyable.
    Thank you and that is good to know also. I have not shot any racecars but if I do now I know what to do.

5. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    You're learning an old craft too. Photography. I remember learning F/stops, exposures and aperatures and telephoto lenses before the advent of videophotography. It's a lot cheaper now since you can delete your mistakes and do-over for free.
    You are absolutely correct. I don't know how people used to learn on film camera. I take so many bad shots I would go broke

6. Member
    I photographed dirt track race cars for a few years, very steady hands with lower shutter speeds were key for me. I sure do miss it!
    This photo was at 1/160, aperture at f2.2 and iso of 500 for reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by townsend266 View Post
    I photographed dirt track race cars for a few years, very steady hands with lower shutter speeds were key for me. I sure do miss it!
    This photo was at 1/160, aperture at f2.2 and iso of 500 for reference.
    That is a beautiful shot. Thanks for the info.

8. Member
    They look good to me! Im interested in getting into it (like i have time) but figure i can atleast do it around the house.. Always looking at wildlife with my binoculars got me thinking wish i could take pics of what im looking at...