2020 Ranger 521L livewell OEM fittings Barbed or quicklock

Livewell would not fill all the way yesterday so I need either a new pair pumps which I am going to change anyways. Or I need new valve or valve repair kit. I am ordering the valve kit and the pumps but was also going to order a whole new valve as they are not expensive and when I have everything out I just would rather do it all at the same time. My question as I am at work and want order ASAP is are rangers OEM fittings on the Valves Barbed or Quick Lock. I have been in there to replace pumps once already and I can not remember. Yes I do my pumps a lot, I do a lot small tourneys and I run my pumps on constant so I don't have to worry about the fish. But that means a lot hours on the pump and the need replacing every 1-2 years.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

2. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Ranger live wells are one of the best IMO. There is really no need to run the pumps continuously. If the Live Well doesn't fill all the way up it's usually one of the pumps, rarely both. The second thing is the flaps in the valve. Easy fix. I had a pump one time that would spin but the impeller would not. Drove my nuts for a while.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

3. Member
    Just changed my 3 way valve. Usually the fittings are barbed with a band that will need to be cut. I replaced with 1” hose clamps. Probably your 3 way valve leaking
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

4. Member
    Thanks for responses. I ordered the Barbed valve and valve repair kit and 2 pumps. Might as well just change it all when I am under there. I personally prefer 2 seperate livewells with separate fill and recirc pumps. I don't like not being able to control the fill system so I can force the livewells to be slightly over full and force the livewell surface water out the overflow. Last tourney I had tons of foam in the livewell and because of either one weak pump in a parallel pair or a flapper in a valve I had to keep adding extra water with my weigh in bag to get the water to the overflow to flush the foam and top water out of the livewells. Also hate the gel coat finish in the livewells and the Cooler, both are covered in Gel coat blisters and the livewell has fine cracks in the gel coat where the braces are between the livewell and the rear storage boxes. Those cracks are now annoyingly noticeable from the livewell additives staining the cracks. I really like my ranger boat but the livewells as you can tell I am sure are not one of the things I like.

Did you try to close the valve and fill the livewell with a garden hose with the boat on the trailer? You may have just gotten some crap (crawfish parts or weeds) stuck in the flapper.

6. Member
    Hey Paul, I did that during the week and livewell worked ok on Saturday for me. There was a bunch of sand in the livewell from beaching at Wequaqet for a weigh in. Must had sand in the valve. I still got the pumps and valve and rebuild kits. Good to have in stock and the pumps are getting noisy again so probably could use to be replaced. At least now I have time to procrastinate, I love putting things off if I can.

Hopefully the weather is not miserable Sunday. Billington should be a home field advantage for me but I have not fished there in 2 months. To many tourneys so no time to fun fish or practice.