Thread: Coral help.....

Coral help.....

Bought a 99 coral 202 with a 99 optimax 225 last fall. In Excellent condition. My question is motor with prop setup. Currently has a 25 trophy. Prop to pad looks to be at 3". Best rpms with original analog gauge is 5300-5400, speed is 60-62. Half tank of fuel, with 2 adults and 2 small kids. Seems like with the research I've done that seems to be on the low end. It does seem to plane out fairly decent considering the max rpm. I have changed plugs, fuel filter. Merc mechanic did some lower unit work while it was there he changed fuel line, oil line and rebuilt the "lift"pump. Is there something else I can check, try a different prop like a tempest, or just need to maybe drop pitch? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stlcoral202; 04-29-2024 at 07:39 PM.

2. Member
    I would confirm your engine height, and yes, a 25 trophy might be a little big.

3. Member
    Prop to pad is 3" with 8" jackplate

4. Member
    What elevation are you at? It's crazy how much that really affects the performance.
    2000 Viper Coral 202/225 Pro Xs
    Ghost, HDS Lives, etc, etc.

5. Member
    St. Louis area, around 500'

6. Member
    Nice Coral! Makes me miss mine. I had a 2000 Coral 202 Merc 225 EFI for about 12 years. It was a great boat. My rig would run 65 - 68 mph. I ran a 25P Tempest 3 blade. I had tried many different props over the years but the Tempest was the best. I had very good hole shot and a great mid range cruise speed. The boat would gps 47 mph turning 4000 rpm. My Coral was somewhat weight sensitive. Being a fish and ski with the driver's position a little further forward than a regular bass boat made it very important to keep weight off the front of the boat. Coral's run pretty flat but you still want to get the hull out of the water. Good Luck!