Active Target Forward Scan Settings

Good morning all,

First time posting on here. I just recently installed Active Target connected to my HDS 9 Live on my Ranger RT-188. I've watched YouTube videos on the settings to use but I figured I would check here to see what settings you use for Forward Scan. Thanks in advance.
    Paul "Trey" Baker
    2023 Ranger RT-188

2. Member
    It all depends on the water in which you are using your AT. The nice thing about Lowrance is that the software automatically adjusts all settings to be optimal for the conditions. Most times you can keep the settings as is. I sometimes add more contrast to specifically see my lure a little brighter, but this also adds more clutter to the screen.

I set the bottom setting just deep enough to see the bottom, and I usually use 100-foot for my range, although I often change this depending on the lure I am using and how far I am casting.
    ciao,
    Marc

3. Member
    Marc and a few others have some really good videos. There's also some videos out there that........IMHO aren't that good.

I've had Active Target for almost 2 years. There isn't any magic settings.

I keep my range at 100 feet also in forward mode, and I use forward mode most of the time. I keep the depth set at auto, but I've been rethinking that lately. IMHO the most important setting is contrast. "Higher" or "lower" is relative. I've had mine as high as 90's or as low as 70's at times. Higher contrast numbers will show more stuff, but can also clutter the screen. Higher numbers will show more stuff/fish in the center of the water column, but has a tendency to make stuff wash out on or near the bottom.

I recommend just messing with it. Aim it at dock, bridge pillings, brush pile or pretty much anything else you know is there. Mess with the settings until you can see what you want to see.

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try the things you all suggested to see how I like it. Still fooling around with it everytime I go out. Thanks again.
    Paul "Trey" Baker
    2023 Ranger RT-188

5. Member
    So do I.
    ciao,
    Marc