how to set the hook using a shaky

Heres a dumb question... Texas rigging I roll up and set usually with a side swipe motion. And I mean when I set I try to pull their lip off. just how we always did it.
    Same with a shaky?
    I only used a shaky on one trip and I did the same as a texas rig hookset. Was using VMC standup shaky heads. Seemed like we missed more than I would have liked too due to poor hook up.

I just got some Frenzy nails to try and i expecting better hook up with these.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

2. Member
    Depends on the shaky head hook. If I'm fishing a larger head with a heavier style hook I will cross their eyes but with a lite wire hook I will sort of reel into the fish on a tight line.

3. Member
    I just reel in and snap. I'd say it depends on if you're fluro, mono, braid to leader, drag, the rod power and the hook. It is possible to pull too hard, make a big rip with the thin hooks and they fall out easier. I crunch all my barbs and seldom lose a fish.

4. Member
    I fish an EWG VMC hook so it is weedless. My shaky rods are 7.5’. I try to cross their eyes when I set the hook.
    https://www.bbcboards.net/attachment...4&d=1713525145

5. Member
    Thinking the worm was wadding up causing skin hooking . thats why I dont like the little spring keeper. The hooks on the Frenzy Nail are very sharp but I don't know how strong they are.
    I think I'm gonna like them. Thanks guys.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JK9027 View Post
    I just reel in and snap. I'd say it depends on if you're fluro, mono, braid to leader, drag, the rod power and the hook. It is possible to pull too hard, make a big rip with the thin hooks and they fall out easier. I crunch all my barbs and seldom lose a fish.
    dont know what you mean when you say crunch you barbs

Depends on how heavy the line is. 6-8# is do a sweep with a little "Snap", 10-12# a little more "Pop", whereas with 12-15# I try to turn them "Inside Out" !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

8. Member
    I throw 16# fluro on a ewg spot remover. Typically a 3/8-1/2oz. Set the hook as hard as I can and don’t look back!
    2017 Nitro Z20 w/ Mercury 250 Pro XS
    MK Ultrex 112# Mega DI/ Mega 360
    Console: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MSI G3N
    Bow: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MDI G4N

Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post
    Thinking the worm was wadding up causing skin hooking . thats why I dont like the little spring keeper. The hooks on the Frenzy Nail are very sharp but I don't know how strong they are.
    I think I'm gonna like them. Thanks guys.
    The screw lock keepers are notorious for that! Easier to rig straight and your baits last longer, but the hook point is aimed parallel with the body of the worm so that a hookset pushes the point of the hook into...more worm. The only way you hook up in those cases is when the worm collapses down and the fish's mouth ends up in the gap between the hook point and screw lock. This is of course worse when the screw lock is fixed into the lead (as opposed to free-pivoting like many models out there).

To be clear, I am sure that there are heads out there that have figured this problem out so this isn't intended to bad mouth any particular manufacturer or anything. I personally fought with it, discovered the problem goes away if the keeper is on the shank of the hook (like a straight shank hook for Texas rigging), and never looked back.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Combs View Post
    I throw 16# fluro on a ewg spot remover. Typically a 3/8-1/2oz. Set the hook as hard as I can and don’t look back!
    I looked back. I think that's where i messed up...