A Seven month review of the Caracal SP.

Hi Everybody,

Below is a seven-month review of a Caracal SP. I was drawn to this model for its unique features that perfectly met my needs: it could fit in my garage, offered the largest deck I could find, and had an excellent deck layout. These aspects convinced me to make my first Bass Cat purchase.

In the video, I elaborate on the points mentioned above and provide a detailed tour of how I've organized the boat. This could be beneficial for others. I also highlight specific areas where the Caracal SP could be improved, which I believe @basscatboats should consider.

Would I repurchase a Caracal SP? What if I had a larger garage? If I had a larger garage a year ago, what Bass Cat would I have purchased? Would I buy a Caracal STS today? I'm sure you will be surprised by what I have to say.

Should Bass Cat continue to offer a model based on the Caracal SP, a 19'8" boat with a 225hp motor and a non-traditional deck layout with the STS feature? If yes, what changes should be made to improve it?

Find my humble answers to these questions and more.

2. Member
    I kinda skimmed thru it. I will get a beer and watch in detail later. Looks very well done.
    comments/questions:

I seriously looked at the Caracal, but ended up with something else. IMHO Basscat has the best overall quality boat/trailer. I agree, as we get older more stability,balance and ease of access is important.

The bow graph mount location seems less than ideal, especially considering stability was very important for you, and you must step over it every time when entering and exiting from the bow (Loading/Unloading). In my younger days I really loved the forward design of the trolling motor, but graphs were much smaller and dual bow graphs were not a thing.

1 How has that been working for you?

2 did you look at or consider, Tricksteps or Boat EFX as opposed to the Basscat step pole option?
    I LOVE my Tricksteps, with added Booma Step.

3 why the 225 and not 250/300 ?

3. Member
    I do have to step over and I have to take it slow and deliberate and place my foot to ensure my stability. But, it is a non-issue once that is managed. Now, I will be getting a new mount for my graph that will raise it 4" so I will have to step higher over the graph. But, I don't think that will matter to me.

I didn't look at other steps, because I assessed the Bass Cat step would work better. That turned out to be true, because the other steps would be in the way of folding the trailer tongue and I need that completely folded.

The Caracal SP is 19'8" boat and is rated for 225hp max.