Thread: Bow Roller

Bow Roller

This is going to sound silly but is there a trick to removing the bolt from the bow roller? The nut comes right off and I can spin the bolt pretty easily by hand but the bolt won’t come out of the center piece of the roller, even when tapped with a sledgehammer

2. Member
    boat weight may be loading it up release winch and see if it comes loose might be frozen in the roller bushing also? put nut on until flush and hit with hammer several times?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    boat weight may be loading it up release winch and see if it comes loose might be frozen in the roller bushing also? put nut on until flush and hit with hammer several times?
    Where is there a roller bushing? I don't see anything when I remove the 1 side of the roller other than the thru bolt.

4. Member
    Some rollers use a steel thru bushing inside the roller itself and the bolt will rust to that bushing.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    Some rollers use a steel thru bushing inside the roller itself and the bolt will rust to that bushing.
    Great, I will try hitting it with some break free and see if it loosens up.

6. Member
    Anyone ever have to cut this off? Will a sawsall do it or will I need a grinder?

Release the wench and jack the boat keel up until the keel is clear of the roller. If you have a Impact tool, spin the bolt in the remove setting while hitting the other end with a hammer. Be sure to put a nut on it, don't hit the end of the bolt. It sounds like the bolt is bent. Not uncommon.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents