Spare tire questions

The recommended tire pressure is when the tire is mounted and with the weight of the boat on the trailer. To what pressure should the spare tire be inflated?

On a single axle trailer do you rotate the tires with the spare so that they all wear out about the same time or do you wear out two and then use the spare with one new one?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    The spare should be the same size and inflated the same as the tires on the trailer. I don't rotate them, just use the same wheels until 5-6 years old then replace ALL of the tires at the same time.

3. Member
    Same pressure as the rest. I rotate once a year and include the spare in the rotation. Spare to port side front, port front to port rear, port rear to starboard rear, starboard rear to starboard front, starboard front to spare. This usually gets me 4 seasons. I tow 12-15k per year.
    2023 921 Elite
    Mercury 25 Pro XS Bobs Hydraulic
    Power Poles
    Humminbird 12 gen4, and 3 10 Gen4
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

I add pressure to spare tire. For some reason spare tires lose pressure by not being used on the road. I add 5-8 pounds. You can aways deflate after mounting to the hub to the recommanded pressure. Easier to let air out,rather than looking at an under inflated tire with no pump at hand.

5. Member
    If you fill spare to for instance 40 psi, and after that mount it under a heavy loaded trailer, you still measute 40 psi.

I once tested it measuring 3 times on ground, jacking up and again 3 measurements. Total 5 cicles and pressure only went down a bit by the air escaping when I pushed gauge on the valve, in total 15 times.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
    If you fill spare to for instance 40 psi, and after that mount it under a heavy loaded trailer, you still measute 40 psi.

I once tested it measuring 3 times on ground, jacking up and again 3 measurements. Total 5 cicles and pressure only went down a bit by the air escaping when I pushed gauge on the valve, in total 15 times.
    Interesting. That isn't what I expected to hear. I guess I should have done the jack test myself.

Thanks for all the responses.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax