H17 Prop Suggestions

I've got a 2023 H17 with Yamaha 90 SHO. I've got a dealer installed stainless steel power tech prop (not sure on pitch). I'm topping out at about 42-43 gps. Anyone got suggestions on something with a little more top end while not sacrificing hole shot?

Here is a pic, the numbers are blurry and kind of fadedprop.jpg
    Last edited by Fyarf; 05-01-2024 at 09:00 PM. Reason: adding picture
    2023 Xpress H17
    90 SHO, 6" Jack Plate

2. Member
    A 17 Pitch Turbo will give very good all around performance on your setup.

When I had my 2018 H17 with 90 h.p. Yamaha 4 stroke I tried 19 and 17 p PowerTech props but got best results with the Turbo.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

3. Member
    What was your top speed with it? I'm by no means expecting to be the fastest, just want to maximize the platform
    2023 Xpress H17
    90 SHO, 6" Jack Plate

4. #FRB
    You might be topped out on speed with that prop because it's a fast prop. My H18 wouldn't turn worth a damn with the PTR3 in 21p but it would do 53.x in nice cool air and sitting on the limiter at 6300. My electronics setup probably isn't what Xpress had in mind for people buying a Hyperlift series either and doubt even a 15" jackplate would compensate for that. For your rig I'd give the Turbo a try but don't be upset if it isn't as fast as that PTR3. If anything, if you want a better HANDLING rig I'd give the 4 blade Turbo or Powertech NRS4 (similar to Turbo) a try. I lost 2-3mph with the NRS4 but a great tradeoff compared to the PTR3 that was only good at going straight in at least somewhat smooth water.

Sorry for not really giving the info you were asking for but just letting you know what my research and personal experience has told me after running a Hyperlift hull for a year.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    You might be topped out on speed with that prop because it's a fast prop. My H18 wouldn't turn worth a damn with the PTR3 in 21p but it would do 53.x in nice cool air and sitting on the limiter at 6300. My electronics setup probably isn't what Xpress had in mind for people buying a Hyperlift series either and doubt even a 15" jackplate would compensate for that. For your rig I'd give the Turbo a try but don't be upset if it isn't as fast as that PTR3. If anything, if you want a better HANDLING rig I'd give the 4 blade Turbo or Powertech NRS4 (similar to Turbo) a try. I lost 2-3mph with the NRS4 but a great tradeoff compared to the PTR3 that was only good at going straight in at least somewhat smooth water.

Sorry for not really giving the info you were asking for but just letting you know what my research and personal experience has told me after running a Hyperlift hull for a year.
    Thanks for chiming in! How is the Netgear switch working for you? Did you do anything to help with water? I have an echomap 10 at the bow and 9 in the console, with LVS34 all connected with cable. Console to bow, and LVS to bow since the 10 has 2 ethernet ports. I want to add another 10 or a 12 up front in the future but would need a switch at that point.
    2023 Xpress H17
    90 SHO, 6" Jack Plate

Mine has the powertech prop 21p I have got 48.6 at @5900 rpms. That was with just me and a normal load.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos284 View Post
    Mine has the powertech prop 21p I have got 48.6 at @5900 rpms. That was with just me and a normal load.
    Can you make out what the pitch is on my prop? With the numbers faded like they are i can't figure out what the dealer put on. I asked before rigging and they just said "power tech, we rig a lot of these and its a good one." Googling what i think i see hasn't helped, my best guess is maybe 20 pitch?
    2023 Xpress H17
    90 SHO, 6" Jack Plate

8. Member
    How many RPMs are you turning at top speed?

9. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyarf View Post
    Thanks for chiming in! How is the Netgear switch working for you? Did you do anything to help with water? I have an echomap 10 at the bow and 9 in the console, with LVS34 all connected with cable. Console to bow, and LVS to bow since the 10 has 2 ethernet ports. I want to add another 10 or a 12 up front in the future but would need a switch at that point.
    It's working fine. A friend of mine has been networking his Garmins with the switch for over a year now with no issues. I just pulled one of the plastic tubs where the console side compartments are and set it in a lake of epoxy right next to the Livescope box. I think I got it high enough where even if I do get more than a little bit of water in the boat it won't be an issue. They're cheap enough that it the switch bricks itself I'll just pry the old one up and install a new one. Beats paying what Garmin wants for basically the same thing.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

10. #FRB
    Looks like you have the NRS3 in 19p. It's similar to the Turbo 3 blade. How is your boat loaded? I would think you should be seeing mid 40's anyway with that setup. Also, you might consider sending in your ecu and getting it flashed to a 135 since you have the same motor as my 115 is. I decided not to get my 115 flashed because the value wasn't there in my opinion for just a 20hp gain. If they can flash your 90 to a 135 you would probably need to step up to a 23p prop.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    How many RPMs are you turning at top speed?
    6000-6200 depending on wind and chop
    2023 Xpress H17
    90 SHO, 6" Jack Plate

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Looks like you have the NRS3 in 19p. It's similar to the Turbo 3 blade. How is your boat loaded? I would think you should be seeing mid 40's anyway with that setup. Also, you might consider sending in your ecu and getting it flashed to a 135 since you have the same motor as my 115 is. I decided not to get my 115 flashed because the value wasn't there in my opinion for just a 20hp gain. If they can flash your 90 to a 135 you would probably need to step up to a 23p prop.
    ive got a 12 pound anchor in the rear passenger hatch, life jackets and safety gear under the seats, ropes and bumpers in front of the console, rods in the rod locker and tackle in the center hatch. ive got 2 group 27s on the passenger side of the bilge hatch for the trolling motor and a group 24 on the driver side. theyre all going to be lithium in a week though.

ive strongly considered the flash, but im under the YES warranty which was included with purchase until 2029, dealer said the flash would void that.
    2023 Xpress H17
    90 SHO, 6" Jack Plate

Can you make out what the pitch is on my prop? With the numbers faded like they are i can't figure out what the dealer put on. I asked before rigging and they just said "power tech, we rig a lot of these and its a good one." Googling what i think i see hasn't helped, my best guess is maybe 20 pitch?
    Its hard to tell in the pic but I believe yours is a 19p
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

14. Member
    What was your top speed with it? I'm by no means expecting to be the fastest, just want to maximize the platform
    As best I can recall light load solo was 46.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support