Broken rear spring on tandem trailer

Any tips on replacing both springs on one side? I broke the right rear so I’m going to replace both front and rear on that side. Is it necessary to have the weight off both tires on the rear axle or can I just jack up the right side, place jack stands under trailer and axle? I had to replace the rear axle last year and I did it with the boat on the trailer. I know it’s better to have an empty trailer but it wasn’t possible and it wasn’t that bad with the boat on the trailer. According to the specs from the dealer I purchased from the spring is 25 1/4. I’ve already located 2 springs. This is a 2017 tandem Trailer. 3500 lb axles. I just had all the bushings and hardware replaced on this trailer less than 2 years ago because I had a cracked hanger bracket. Thanks

Jack up the frame and put jack stands on it in front and in back of the wheels. Remove the tires, then use a floor jack to jack up each hub and then remove the "U" bolts from each axle. You may be able to set the hub down on the ground, or onto a block or Jack stand. Then you can remove the spring from the hangers. I'd really check those bushings to make sure you can re-use them, but I'd advise going back with "Wet Bolts" so you can lube them. Also, check the Equalizer before putting everything back together.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Jack up the frame and put jack stands on it in front and in back of the wheels. Remove the tires, then use a floor jack to jack up each hub and then remove the "U" bolts from each axle. You may be able to set the hub down on the ground, or onto a block or Jack stand. Then you can remove the spring from the hangers. I'd really check those bushings to make sure you can re-use them, but I'd advise going back with "Wet Bolts" so you can lube them. Also, check the Equalizer before putting everything back together.
    Spot on. Dexter offers wet bolt kits that make it easy. I went with the cushioned kit when I did mine a couple years ago. Well worth the additional $300 or so.

Edit: Here is the thread I started on my conversion.

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1103877
    Last edited by adchunts; 05-08-2024 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Added link
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS