Ficht fuel feed issue

Hi All,
    I posted this on "The Hull Truth" but that forum is not Evinrude/Johnson specific.
    I figured that here (in this E/J specific forum) I would just get Evinrude/Johnson people...

I have a 2001 Evinrude with the FICHT F.I.
    The boat has been parked for about 18mos, in a mild climate (I had open heart surgery. They literally opened my heart, to repair a bad Mitral Valve... TMI?)
    I have been charging the batteries about 1/mo and started the engine about 2 mos ago, everything seemed fine.
    I put it in the water a few days ago, and it started right up, but boggs and sputters if it goes above about 3000 rpm.
    I changed the spark plugs, and hooked up a "pony tank" with fresh gas and a little SeaFoam (bypassing "everything" before the fuel 'in" T which then goes to the lift pump).
    Still have the same problem.

It seems to be "running out of fuel" at the higher RPMs (but with no load on the prop, it will go all the way to 6500 no problem)

Have you experienced this?

I have not worked on FICHT F.I systems, but understand the concept.

Another question: how does the fuel circulate through the high pressure pump (VST)?
    I see that supply is the lower fwd fitting, does fuel feed the injection manifold with the schrader valve, or is that the return?
    (and does the electric pump circulate fuel "up or "down" ?)

To help my brain figure out the myriad of hoses on this engine, I drew some lines on the parts schematic (I assumed the Schrader Valve was on the supply manifold)
    Does this look right, or are the injector manifolds reversed? (switch HIGH vs LOW and pump circulation)?

I know I "can" put a fuel pressure gauge on that Schrader valve (if I can get one), but does that indicate fuel TO the injectors or fuel pressure AFTER the injectors?

Lots of questions.

Thanks for your input (unless you say "well I worked on a Chevy with fuel injection once, and it was like ...." )

Thanks,
    Paul

IMG_20240502_0001.jpg

2. Member
    Need model # ...

You should buy the OEM Service Manual for that motor; many times available online on PDF versions for < $25.

Running any OB up to 6,500 RPMs with no load is a fantastic way to throw beerings and/or otherwise break it ...
    "Life's too short for an ugly boat!"
    1985 totally refurbished Pro-Line 21A Cuddy - 175hp Evinrude FFI

3. Member
    never rev off idle in N! might be a rev limiter kicking in also

install correct plugs, gapped a .028 tight and indexed? checked fuel filter? check exhaust sensor for clogging?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies!

Dale it is a E115FPXSIG
    The manuals that I have Seloc 1992-2001 (.pdf version) and the 2002-2006 (softcover) are indicating that it may be the lift pump.
    (I hadn't gotten too deep into the manuals, as I was hoping someone here knew "Yup, that sounds like your______" ... But I have now.
    and I know revving an engine with no load is not good, I just did a quick check. I don't think it even got to 6500, it was probably more like 5000)

mactlman, Thanks. 4 yesses to your questions, did that even before I put the pony tank on, sorry was trying to keep the post short (er)

5. Member
    Now a few days later, I found more information,
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    Since the fuel flows out of the top of the pump on the VST, the injector manifolds fuel flow is reversed from my first schematic (the Schrader valve is on the return side of the system).

7. Member
    And I read another post that mentions a small screen in one of the lower VST fuel connections, it is in the injector manifold return line to the VST, I checked to make sure it was clear:

8. Member
    I ordered a Lift Pump (be careful, it changed design in 2001/2002 but the part number is still the same 5010025)
    I hope that is my issue...

And, if any of you have a similar issue I hope this information helps you.

Paul

P.S. I will post the outcome after changing the lift pump...

9. Member
    Hi All,
    I finally got the issue solved!

I ordered a lift pump and installed it (that is a bit of a job, getting that rats-nest of 3/8 rubber hoses aligned "just right" before tightening the clamps).
    It ran on the driveway, but the problem was when under load at 3000+ rpm, so needed a full speed run.
    Same symptoms...

So on to the VST/injector pump...

The Evinrude replacement is about $1000, and there is a new no-name(copy?) on eBay for about $100, so I thought I would try it.

It is a really nice unit, well made (at least on the outside), but needed a little modification to fit on the existing mounting points:
    The original has "slots" cut on the two port side mounting areas that slide onto the rubber bushings. On the replacement, the openings were slightly smaller than the "slots",
    so I had to remove a little of the aluminum bracket so it would slide on like the original.
    Once I did that, everything went together perfectly.

I pumped up the fuel bulb (I could hear fuel flowing into the VST on each squeeze), and once the bulb was firm, turned the key on, and let the electric pump run until it shut off (a little longer than before, about 15-20 seconds)

Then engaged the starter, and it started right up!

I let it idle for a little while, then shut it down, and checked for leaks.
    With none found, I put the cowlings back on and took the boat to the ramp for a test run
    (the "speed zone" is about a 15 min, 1500rpm/5kt putt-putt away).
    Once inside the "speed zone" I slowly pushed the throttle up to 2000 rpm, 3000, 4000, 5000 up to 5500! and zoomed around the "speed zone" for about 10 minutes.

Convinced it was working normally, I brought it home, took off the cowlings again (I am really good at that now, and can get them all off in about 3min), to double check for fuel leaks.
    None found, so put everything back together.

If anyone else (that still has a 23y/o FICHT) has "high rpm" fuel issues, I hope this helps!

Paul

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FunWithPaul View Post
    Hi All,
    I finally got the issue solved!

I ordered a lift pump and installed it (that is a bit of a job, getting that rats-nest of 3/8 rubber hoses aligned "just right" before tightening the clamps).
    It ran on the driveway, but the problem was when under load at 3000+ rpm, so needed a full speed run.
    Same symptoms...

So on to the VST/injector pump...

The Evinrude replacement is about $1000, and there is a new no-name(copy?) on eBay for about $100, so I thought I would try it.

It is a really nice unit, well made (at least on the outside), but needed a little modification to fit on the existing mounting points:
    The original has "slots" cut on the two port side mounting areas that slide onto the rubber bushings. On the replacement, the openings were slightly smaller than the "slots",
    so I had to remove a little of the aluminum bracket so it would slide on like the original.
    Once I did that, everything went together perfectly.

I pumped up the fuel bulb (I could hear fuel flowing into the VST on each squeeze), and once the bulb was firm, turned the key on, and let the electric pump run until it shut off (a little longer than before, about 15-20 seconds)

Then engaged the starter, and it started right up!

I let it idle for a little while, then shut it down, and checked for leaks.
    With none found, I put the cowlings back on and took the boat to the ramp for a test run
    (the "speed zone" is about a 15 min, 1500rpm/5kt putt-putt away).
    Once inside the "speed zone" I slowly pushed the throttle up to 2000 rpm, 3000, 4000, 5000 up to 5500! and zoomed around the "speed zone" for about 10 minutes.

Convinced it was working normally, I brought it home, took off the cowlings again (I am really good at that now, and can get them all off in about 3min), to double check for fuel leaks.
    None found, so put everything back together.

If anyone else (that still has a 23y/o FICHT) has "high rpm" fuel issues, I hope this helps!

Paul
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools