Question Frozen Steering. '07 200 Elite

Hi guys. Hoping I can get your advice. I have a busy week with our high school team's Sectionals:(. During my last outing I felt the steering start to be bind at certain points, once I got over those points I could steer. I attempted to cap off the fluid level, but it didn't take. I took the boat out, and 20 min in, the steering Froze with motor straight, I can turn slightly right and not left. I'm also seeing leakage from behind the wheel.

Can you help me understand what I'm looking at here and what I can do to troubleshoot and fix? Thank you in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fishthenation; 04-28-2024 at 09:04 AM.

2. Member
    The part behind the steering wheel is the helm, it looks to be the original. The part by the motor has been replaced with a Mercury U-flex, looks pretty new.

If you don’t know anything mechanical, I’d take it to a shop and have the helm replaced. If you’re somewhat mechanical, you could do it; but bleeding the system can be a challenge.

I assume you used the proper fluid in the steering reservoir.

Thank you! Yes, the Mercury UFlex is 5 years old, while the Helm is original 2007 (17 yrs old). Yes I used the recommended fluid. After searching further the threads on BBC seems surely that I need to replace the helm. Can someone direct me to understand which to purchase?
    Last edited by fishthenation; 04-28-2024 at 09:03 AM.

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    So, as Bass in the grass mentioned, if you have any mechanical aptitude, you can rebuild the help much cheaper than replacing it. Rebuild kit will run you less than $60. New helms will run $700-$900 depending on if you get a tilt helm or not. Your helm should have a sticker on it with the model #. Unfortunately, it's probably on top near the plug. My 210 has a remote fill so there's a gap between the helm and the console which should also be there on your 200. Maybe with a mechanic's mirror and flashlight you can see it without removing it. If you don't want to tackle it, I'd see what a shop would charge to replace the seals. Here's some videos on the topic.

Tilt version would be the same, just remove the tilt mechanism off the front of the helm.
    Outboardst.com Outboard Specialty Tools - YouTube Tyler Holland (no relation I'm aware of) at Outboard Specialty Tools has good videos on SeaStar steering maintenance and repair. He has some cool tools too. I bought one of his Bubble Purge kits when I replaced the seals in my rear cylinder.