Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which boat dliema: Looking for some feedback

So my old tin rig needs to be replaced. Was thinking of new or new/used glass boat 18/19 foot. I don't fish tournaments and no big lakes in North Jersey so glass boat would really be for local 200 acre lake by my house and occasional trip to Hudson River, Lake Champlain, Candlewood Lake, etc. Going against BBC way and will be financing most of it. I am fine with that. However, I am also torn between just getting another tin rig like I have also financing, but over a shorter period. Reason for that being as stated, all small lakes around here, many electric only lakes, and would spend more on options like electronics and such. If I went that route, I would finance, pay it off quick, and trade it in, in a few years then upgrade to a glass boat when I have more time to fish bigger lakes. My kids still playing sports so not making too many trips, but would get more use out of a smaller tin boat for where I live, but would limit any bigger lakes that are further away. Bigger glass boat would get more use in a few years, but could still go where I want now, but those options for when I could go would be limited. Advice would be great.
    Last edited by cwenbass; 04-18-2024 at 08:07 AM.

2. Member
    Fished and owned both myself and I can tell you I'd never have anything but glass again unless it was a little pond hopper!
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

18-19 footer would be perfect. Pick your flavor. a 150-200hp. All the lakes you fish are fishable with that boat. You could get away with a tin with a 150. I fished many of the 9.9 lakes, won Monksville opens multiple times in my glass. The glass would be better for the Hudson, Champ, Candy, Cayuga type waters.

I would do what you want to do, personally I fish huge water with my Xpress H18, Okeechobee included. Have owned glass and it makes no difference on fishing as far as I am concerned.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

5. Member
    Agreed. Just not sure how often I am getting there for a few more years.
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    18-19 footer would be perfect. Pick your flavor. a 150-200hp. All the lakes you fish are fishable with that boat. You could get away with a tin with a 150. I fished many of the 9.9 lakes, won Monksville opens multiple times in my glass. The glass would be better for the Hudson, Champ, Candy, Cayuga type waters.

6. Member
    Personally if I went to the expense of getting a new boat, might as well get the fiberglass one you want to keep longer. You will lose money overall getting a new tin and upgrading later.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

7. Member
    Phoenix 819. Nothing comes close in terms of specs, fish ability for its size, handling, speed, etc…

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Personally if I went to the expense of getting a new boat, might as well get the fiberglass one you want to keep longer. You will lose money overall getting a new tin and upgrading later.
    I concur with this perspective. Purchase the boat you desire today without fretting about the future; long-term plans are inherently distant, and the future is uncertain for us all. Therefore, relish the boat you want now and allow the future to unfold as it will.
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

9. Member
    I agree on not trading the tin in a few years. If you want glass then buy a glass boat. IMO the Cat PII is about as nice a 19'er as there is on the water. If you prefer a wide body there is a whole bunch to choose from.

10. Member
    Depending upon your budget, try to find a BassCat or Ranger that fits you budget, and your needs. You won't go wrong with either.

11. Member
    I had an old 16 foot v hull that needed to be replaced. I ended up going with the 19 foot glass. Like you I live in the north east so day in and day out I fish 350-1500 acre lakes, but I do take trips out to many of the lakes you mentioned. I feel like 19 foot is the prefect compromise where you don't feel like you're driving an air craft carrier in the small lakes, but it can still keep up in the big water.

The money part is all up to you, but personally I would buy a glass boat now and focus on getting it paid off rather than mixing in a financed aluminum boat first. In the long run getting a glass now and getting it paid off would probably cost you less.
    2020 Ford F150 Raptor (95,000 miles)
    2021 Nitro Z19 200 ProXS. Ultrex 112 Helix 12 helix 8

12. Member
    I'd buy the boat that I would use the most. Glass over tin for the win.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

13. #FRB
    If you can swing it then I'd get a glass rig if that's what you eventually want. However, for the water you fish the savings on a tin might be worth the hassle it might be for the occasional big water trip if those trips will still only be occasional. If you're looking into a big tin you may as well look at a similar size glass rig for a little more because they're all expensive these days. I'm in a bigger tin because that's what I wanted and it fishes just as good or better as any similar size glass boat I've been in (narrow front deck 17-18' glass rigs) but all said and done the savings wasn't that much compared to a similar spec glass rig.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    Phoenix 819. Nothing comes close in terms of specs, fish ability for its size, handling, speed, etc…
    Good choice
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

15. Member
    2 most important rules of buying a bass boat are don't finance, buy what you can afford with cash, and never buy one that is underpowered below the max HP rating.

16. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    2 most important rules of buying a bass boat are don't finance, buy what you can afford with cash, and never buy one that is underpowered below the max HP rating.
    You're about as predictable as they come.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

17. Member
    I agree with going glass now and not a tin boat to trade later.
    On buying one, I will only say look at as many as brands possible.
    Ask a lot of questions and get the one that you are most comfortable with.
    This includes the dealership and their service department.
    If used and with the owners permission, take it to a reputable dealer for a thorough evaluation.

Good luck in your purchase.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    You're about as predictable as they come.

19. Member
    Wants and needs….. I am in SE Pa and have similar sized lakes with power or electric only restrictions. I run a 16’ Tin with a 20hp to get me onto Nockamixon, and it does just fine on Blue Marsh and Beltzville where I can get through the wake zone in 3 minutes. Big boats and engines in this region are like driving a corvette on an eighth mile track, whee! that was fun for a few seconds. My trolling motor sees more hours in a week than my engine in a year.

FWIW, I’d love to have a 19’ or better glass boat. Ironic part is, I can afford it and I have the space for it at my home as well but it just doesn’t make sense.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I've owned boats since the mid 80's, and if I went by your first rule I would never have had one, and that goes for most boat and vehicle owners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast