Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Masters of the Air

I have read the book and look forward to watching it on Apple as it comes on today. It will be very emotional for me as my dad flew thirty missions as a ball turret gunner and waist gunner over France and Germany. He died when I was just 24. From what I can tell it matches up with a lot that my dad told me. The flak or anti aircraft the Germans put in the air was pure hell he told me.

image.jpg
    Last edited by geodebasser; 01-26-2024 at 11:25 AM.

2. Member
    Took massive stones to be a ball turret gunner! Sorry you didn't get more time with him. Your father and men like him are why we get to enjoy so many things we take for granted in this country.

I saw this advertised the other night. Its on Apple TV, correct? Looks like I'll be waiting till the last episode and then getting a free 7 day Apple subscription. Looks AWESOME!

I definelty plan on watching it. The B-17 is one of my favorite aircraft that was ever produced. I was in Texas Raiders weeks before it crashed, and I can not imagine what it was like to fly through the flak and fighters in that plane. They truly were the greatest generation.
    Team Enigma Fishing

4. Member
    God bless the crews who flew those missions.
    Hi Mike.

5. Member
    Wife and I watched the first episode last night. Seemed really well done.

6. Member
    At the end of the first Gulf War the retired and former Gunners in the area threw us a picnic/party at KBAD. I learned that we couldn’t keep up with them and the war stories were awesome. I also liked when the “Fort” and “Lib” gunners gave each other grief about which aircraft was better…… then they started talking about the guys that didn’t make it back. I was honored to be in their presence and didn’t feel worthy to breathe same air.

Sadly they are mostly gone now but I will always treasure the memory of that day.

7. Member
    God Bless all those who have given service to this great country and will definitely watch this.

8. Member
    I have been wanting to read this book. Sorry about your Dad. My Dad was WWII and Korea Navy. I lost him when I was 16. I wish I had know what he did in those wars.

9. Member
    Mine was a Seabee in the Eastern Pacific in the 40's.
    Would have loved to talk to him about his experiences but he wouldn't talk about anything of it except for waiting for MacArthur.
    Last edited by jimsch; 01-26-2024 at 06:50 PM.

10. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Is it only on apple tv?
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchhand02 View Post
    I definelty plan on watching it. The B-17 is one of my favorite aircraft that was ever produced. I was in Texas Raiders weeks before it crashed, and I can not imagine what it was like to fly through the flak and fighters in that plane. They truly were the greatest generation.
    Years ago, I was able to enter a B-17 at a local air show. As I was exiting the plane, an elderly gentleman was in tears, saying he couldn’t enter the plane. Too many memories to relive. I can only imagine the hell they endured. And when they returned, they had to do it again….and again….and again.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    Is it only on apple tv?
    Yes

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    Mine was a Seebee in the Eastern Pacific in the 40's.
    Would have loved to talk to him about his experiences but he wouldn't talk about anything of it except for waiting for MacArthur.
    My Dad was a Seabee too

14. Member
    Thank God these men were there when we needed them.

15. Member
    My old neighbor was a waist gunner on a B-17 in the ETO. He told me during a fighter attack he went to turn the heat down on his heated flight suit because he was sweating through it. Only then did he realize he had actually turned it off earlier. He told me the flak shrapnel sounded like someone was throwing hand fulls of rocks on the tin roof of a barn but super loud. I can’t imagine the courage these guys had. I’m looking forward to watching the series.

My wife's father was a waist gunner on B-17, was on 24th mission got shoot down. Was then captured and held prisoner for 9 months be fore being released.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    God Bless all those who have given service to this great country and will definitely watch this.

^^^^^^^^^^ Yes, this. ^^^^^^^^^^
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

Maybe its just because the last thing I saw the lead actor in was terrible, but the previews look pretty bad to me.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

19. Member
    My dad fought the Japanese in WWII on a bomber as a sergeant in the Air Corp. He didn't talk about it at all. He once said something that he was a mechanic on the bomber and flew missions when the bomber went out. Did they take mechanics aboard during missions ? ? ?

I remember these fantastic large pictures he kept in a old desk drawer downstairs in the basement. They showed the bombs being released from the plane and other pics showed the bombs floating down towards there targets. When my father passed away my sister threw them all out without my knowledge. I would give anything for those pics.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    My dad fought the Japanese in WWII on a bomber as a sergeant in the Air Corp. He didn't talk about it at all. He once said something that he was a mechanic on the bomber and flew missions when the bomber went out. Did they take mechanics aboard during missions ? ? ?

I remember these fantastic large pictures he kept in a old desk drawer downstairs in the basement. They showed the bombs being released from the plane and other pics showed the bombs floating down towards their hey targets. When my father passed away my sister threw them all out without my knowledge. I would give anything for those pics.
    They had talented individuals on those crews that could work on and figure out how to fix about any system on those planes while in flight. My Father in Law was on Bomber Crew in the Pacific and was one of the guys that had that responsibility. He worked on the restoration of a Bomber like the one he was a crew member on for the Commemorative Air Force after he retired. It is still flying and making stops around the USA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast