Alexandria Minnesota

Heading to Alexandria Mn next week. Any good smallmouth or walleye lakes near there?
    any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Member
    Latoka, Miltona and not far away, Minnewaska for smallies. Le Homme Dieu is a great Largemouth lake.

Walleyes in almost every lake up there.

Caught a ton of bass on Ida just north of Alexandria.
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS

4. Member
    For largemouth, "the chain" is really amazing. Carlos, Darling, LHD.. they are all connected and it's a really great clear-water fishery. TONS of largemouth. It's a real playground. There is some smallmouth in the chain but the population is quite small. Really good panfishing as well (big bluegills). The chain does get tournament pressure and a lot of pleasure boat activity, but it's really a nice group of lakes.

As far as smallmouth, your best bet is Lake Ida. I'm pretty sure it's got the only big fishable smallie population in the area.

I have a lot of history fishing around Alex, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

I’d drive down to Minnewaska if you’re set on smallmouth. I’ve heard good reports on walleye down there too. Reno and Osakis are both good for largemouth and walleyes.

6. Member
    Not particularly fishing related, but the chain of lakes in Alexandria does have zebra muscles so don't be surprised if there's volunteers or DNR at the landings asking to inspect boats when you're loading up.

Edit to add: Growing up around there, I'd never really heard that there was any smallmouth in the area, so that's interesting about Ida and Minnewaska. Most people we talked to only ever really cared about walleye